bestest Blues LP evar

Comments

• any y'all heard/have this ? just picked up recently at athrift and was blown away by the two guitar/vocal tracks. recorded in 1959 by alan lomax, those two cuts sound like they could pass for a vocalion side. also a track featuring acane fife, real good stuff.

and yeah, as mentioned earlier, you cant go wrong with any howlin wolf.

• boast1boast1 142 Posts
    its not the bestest, but to add on to the list...
    i've been rotating this one lately..

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    ...and those albums in the Great Rhythm & Blues Oldies series on the Blues Spectrum label are shockingly good. You've probably seen them in every used bin from one end of the earth to the other...producer Johnny Otis gets some 1950's jump-blues guy like Big Joe Turner or Gatemouth Moore or Charles Brown or Roy Milton to redo their old songs in the seventies, but they actually pull it off! No acid-rock treatments, just straight ahead vintage rhythm & blues. Amos Milburn's is really good, considering he had just had a stroke before the recording...he's sick, and unfortunately he sounds it, but in a weird way it actually adds to the songs...

I know you didn't mention this on purpose, but I'm gonna say it. Those records all feature a very young Shuggie Otis playing with more maturity than most cats recording on labels like Black Top today.

Speaking of the true father and son, lets not forget Preston Love's Omaha BBQ. 3 different covers (at least) collect them all.

• I know you didn't mention this on purpose, but I'm gonna say it. Those records (on the Blues Spectrum label) all feature a very young Shuggie Otis playing with more maturity than most cats recording on labels like Black Top today.

Black Top Records has been out of business for some time now.

Besides, there are far worse culprits recording for Alligator and (ESPECIALLY) Blind Pig. To be truthful, the Black Top stable of artists was actually quite credible - the only album by former Little Walter sideman Dave Myers was on this label, and IMO was one of the best blues releases of the '90s.

• I love Blind Willie. He had a "white" sounding voice that made him sound almost vaudeville, but it fit his material. The one BWM album I have is a reissue on MCA that pairs him up with his equally-unearthly-sounding wife on some tracks...it's like listening to a bluesier Alfalfa and Darla (from the Little Rascals flicks).

Here's another album in that same Atlantic Records series that put out the Blind Willie album pictured above:

Texas Guitar From Dallas To L.A., featuring sterling performances from T-Bone Walker (his Atlantic album, T-Bone Blues, is an essential!), Ray Agee (doing his big hit "Tin Pan Alley"), Al King (great version of Lowell Fulson's "Reconsider Baby"), Guitar Slim, Lawyer Houston (the lone acoustic guitarist here, repped with several tracks that literally all sound alike), and R.S. Rankin, whose "You Don't Know What You're Doing" is essential black rock & roll, up there with Ray Sharpe and Eddy Clearwater.

• ...and those albums in the Great Rhythm & Blues Oldies series on the Blues Spectrum label are shockingly good. You've probably seen them in every used bin from one end of the earth to the other...producer Johnny Otis gets some 1950's jump-blues guy like Big Joe Turner or Gatemouth Moore or Charles Brown or Roy Milton to redo their old songs in the seventies, but they actually pull it off! No acid-rock treatments, just straight ahead vintage rhythm & blues. Amos Milburn's is really good, considering he had just had a stroke before the recording...he's sick, and unfortunately he sounds it, but in a weird way it actually adds to the songs...

I know you didn't mention this on purpose, but I'm gonna say it. Those records all feature a very young Shuggie Otis playing with more maturity than most cats recording today.

Funny you mention that - after the reissue of Shuggie's Inspiration Information started picking up steam, another label put out a compilation of tracks from Blues Spectrum acts and released them under Shuggie's name, as if Big Joe, Gatemouth and the rest just sorta dropped in on HIS session (rather than the other way 'round). With a retro cover similar to the Inspiration reissue.

• its not the bestest, but to add on to the list...
    i've been rotating this one lately..

Those earliest Alligator releases, from '71-75, were quite raw. Hound Dog Taylor we know about.

• any y'all heard/have this ? just picked up recently at athrift and was blown away by the two guitar/vocal tracks. recorded in 1959 by alan lomax, those two cuts sound like they could pass for a vocalion side. also a track featuring acane fife, real good stuff.

I have this album, and it's all good, and that includes the gospel choirs. Another classic album in the same series: The Blues Roll On, which is all Delta blues (and featuring Mississippi Fred McDowell, probably the best-known act on the album).

Not quite blues, but related - there was also a Blue Ridge Mountain Music album in that series, and I'm always looking out for that one...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Poker game approved:

Hot, hot live sessions. Solo on Had a Dream is

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

found this at the local thrift 6 months ago and it has been steady blowin' my mind ever since. a to z blues is THE most graphic song i've ever heard. i also dig me some howlin' wolf, muddy, sonny boy, mississippi fred, etc..... if anyone has an electric mud or howlin' wolf's new album they want to trade for a free chicken and beer, get at me.

• you guys added some great musicians. I could add...

-J.B. Lenoir
    -Pink Anderson
    -Blind Boy Fuller
    -Snooks Eaglin
    -Black Ace
    -Barbacue Bob
    -I also love some of the pre-war blues they have a bunch of lp comps of.

• Here's another album in that same Atlantic Records series that put out the Blind Willie album pictured above:

Texas Guitar From Dallas To L.A., featuring sterling performances from T-Bone Walker (his Atlantic album, T-Bone Blues, is an essential!), Ray Agee (doing his big hit "Tin Pan Alley"), Al King (great version of Lowell Fulson's "Reconsider Baby"), Guitar Slim, Lawyer Houston (the lone acoustic guitarist here, repped with several tracks that literally all sound alike), and R.S. Rankin, whose "You Don't Know What You're Doing" is essential black rock & roll, up there with Ray Sharpe and Eddy Clearwater.

That's one I've wanted to hear for awhile. I have another album in this series, and have wanted to get them all eventually.

• Since we're touching on a bit of gospel here:

Cotillion Records had a short but brief "Religious" series, not unlike what Atlantic had done. In fact, one or two of these albums are reissues of the Atlantic material.

Here are the records from the series, as listed at BSNPubs.com"

SD-050 - Gospel Truth - Brook Benton [6/71]
    SD-051 - Tell It Like It Is - Myrna Summers and the Interdenominational Singers [1972]
    *SD-052 - Heavenly Stars - Various Artists [1971]
    SD-053 - Gospel Now - Marion Williams [6/71]
    SD-054 - Gospel's Queen - Gloria Griffin [6/71]
    SD-055 - Grace Institutional Church of God In Christ - Grace Institutional Church of God In Christ [6/71]
    SD-056 - Tommie, Lonnie and Me - Harmonizing Four [6/71] Reissue of Atlantic SD R- 026.
    SD-057 - Lifetime Believing - Alex Bradford [6/71]
    SD-058 - The Gospel Truth - Brook Benton [1971]
    SD-059 - Colmaniares of Washington D.C. - Colmaniares of Washington D.C. [6/71]
    SD-060 - Now - Myrna Summers [8/72]
    SD-061 - Black Man's Lament - Alex Bradford [1971?]

I may not know a thing about gospel music, but I always have admired the musicianship and feeling they provide, which is why I listen.

I know you didn't mention this on purpose, but I'm gonna say it. Those records (on the Blues Spectrum label) all feature a very young Shuggie Otis playing with more maturity than most cats recording on labels like Black Top today.

Besides, there are far worse culprits recording for Alligator and (ESPECIALLY) Blind Pig. To be truthful, the Black Top stable of artists was actually quite credible - the only album by former Little Walter sideman Dave Myers was on this label, and IMO was one of the best blues releases of the '90s.

I'm not embarressed that I have no idea what labels that terrible modern blues and blues rock stuff is coming out on. We have a local station that plays lots of this modern blues stuff and I hate most of it. I just heard an instrumental version of Born Under A Bad Sign. 5 minutes of endless guitar soloing. The guitarist and band were top notch, but what is the point? Earlier in the day I heard a very jazzy blues instrumental, cool electric keys, great horn section, open laid back production, but nobody soloed accept the guitar, like 25 versus. No wonder people hate blues.

I will say Blind Pig has always put out lots of terrible stuff. They even bought out a bad Ellen McIlwaine record and that aint easy.

Here's another album in that same Atlantic Records series that put out the Blind Willie album pictured above:

That's one I've wanted to hear for awhile. I have another album in this series, and have wanted to get them all eventually.

You need this record for sure. Tin Pan Alley has been covered a thousand times, but this is the version. The whole record is great.

I can think of only one other that was done with this type of cover art and that was the Professor Longhair one. This is also a must have record.

i don't want to make this into a :5pager: but I've been wanting to mention this.

Sonny Terry
    Brownie McGee
    Sonny Boy Williamson

And some other names I am not remembering.

All these names contain racists insults that Whites used to use against Blacks. Son, boy, sonny, brownie these were all racial slurs. I grew up on folk blues. I was in my late 20s before I realized I was calling an old man sonny.

Anywho, just thouth I would mention it.

• I have not heard all those records, but this is not the best gospel series by a long shot. A lot of those records are blah to bad. I've never seen the Harmonizing Four one, I'd like to hear that. Almost any gospel record on Nashboro or Peacock is going to be better and easier to find.

Me being a label idiot, I figure "if it's on Atlantic, it's worth checking out", which is why I'm interested.

Any suggestions on the Peacock stuff? I've seen the name but never really paid attention (or cared, to be honest) but I'd be willing to listen.

I have not heard all those records, but this is not the best gospel series by a long shot. A lot of those records are blah to bad. I've never seen the Harmonizing Four one, I'd like to hear that. Almost any gospel record on Nashboro or Peacock is going to be better and easier to find.

Me being a label idiot, I figure "if it's on Atlantic, it's worth checking out", which is why I'm interested.

Any suggestions on the Peacock stuff? I've seen the name but never really paid attention (or cared, to be honest) but I'd be willing to listen.

My tastes run to groups, quartets. Gospel Quartet can be any number of singers, it's a style not a number. Most of those Atlantic records are choirs or single artists which I don't care for as much. My own taste is for female groups, but male groups are more collectible. There are some soulstrut friendly groups that always get listed, but if you are just looking to pick up some gospel stuff to get into, pick up anything. I know they don't show up in the tri cities much, but they are not rare or expensive.

I was just through your little town by the river. We found a place with a giant revolving burger that was great! They had BBQ, but we just got Tillamook burgers with onion rings and broccoli salad and a shake. It was the tops.

• I was just through your little town by the river. We found a place with a giant revolving burger that was great! They had BBQ, but we just got Tillamook burgers with onion rings and broccoli salad and a shake. It was the tops.

I wish I had known. But yeah, that would be in Kennewick.

As for BBQ, there was a great, in the middle of nowhere spot (literally, it was a brick house surrounded by an open lot) that was really good. The lady had said she came from Louisiana, and the beans were very good. There's a new BBQ spot in the former K-Mart building. I don't remember the name, but I will try it out next week. I am not sure if they are the same people, but if it's good enough to eat, I'll let you know.

• I know it's probably obvious, but Hendrix's 'Blues' made me reevaluate him from a long-dead boomer idol to inter-stellar bluesman. The break is nice, too.

I was just through your little town by the river. We found a place with a giant revolving burger that was great! They had BBQ, but we just got Tillamook burgers with onion rings and broccoli salad and a shake. It was the tops.

I wish I had known. But yeah, that would be in Kennewick.

As for BBQ, there was a great, in the middle of nowhere spot (literally, it was a brick house surrounded by an open lot) that was really good. The lady had said she came from Louisiana, and the beans were very good. There's a new BBQ spot in the former K-Mart building. I don't remember the name, but I will try it out next week. I am not sure if they are the same people, but if it's good enough to eat, I'll let you know.

I was just driving through. Sorry, but I think that is the only way anyone ever sees Kenniwick. Would have tried to get in touch if we were spending time.

• I have not heard all those records (in the Atlantic/Cotillion gospel series), but this is not the best gospel series by a long shot. A lot of those records are blah to bad.

It just so happens that the one album I have in that series is the one that Johmbolaya was asking about, Black Man's Prayer by Alex Bradford.

It's not bad.

Not a lost classic or anything, but if you run up on it cheap, you won't be disappointed.

As far as Laser Wolf's comment about their gospel series being , I almost feel the same way about gospel as I do with Latin music...if it's released by a major label, then it'll wind up being either bad or just-ok. Not face-melting, like something you'd find on Peacock or Nashboro.

Peacock's strongest field was with the "quartets." The Mighty Clouds of Joy were probably the biggest, and also the most direct link to southern soul. There was also the Dixie Hummingbirds (who were a lot more genteel - they didn't scream, shout & sweat like the Clouds, they were a direct throwback to the jubilee singers of years past), the Sensational Nightingales, the Highway QC's, and (on the Song Bird subsidiary) the Jackson Southernairs.

As far as soloists on Peacock/Song Bird, Rev. Oris Mays, Rev. Cleophus Robinson, or Inez Andrews are really good.

• anyone interested in downloading some gospel try this

http://www.dovesong.com/MP3/MP3_BlackGospel.asp

they have lots to listen to of all kinds of gospel. Early 40's to late 60's.

2 of my favorite 45's right now are
    Rev. Utah Smith -- two wings (there are at least 2 versions of this song....both killer)

and from
    Hollygrove Records website. Under Gospel, scroll down to "Whole Truth" and listen to " Can You Lose By Following God."

• Rev. Utah Smith -- two wings (there are at least 2 versions of this song....both killer)

http://download.yousendit.com/185017F60450E7BD

• I know you didn't mention this on purpose, but I'm gonna say it. Those records (on the Blues Spectrum label) all feature a very young Shuggie Otis playing with more maturity than most cats recording on labels like Black Top today.

I'm not embarressed that I have no idea what labels that terrible modern blues and blues rock stuff is coming out on.

No, no, Wolf, the point flew way over your head - if you need a current blues label to pick on, Black Top ain't the one. First of all, they're not around anymore, and secondly, the majority of Black Top's stuff was relatively traditional. Rock-blues wasn't their bag; the 30-minute Claptonesque guitar solo was not what that label did. Now, you STILL may not like what they did in retrospect, but if you gotta piss on a defunct label, hate 'em for what they DID do, not what they DIDN'T. And believe me, they did NOT do the wanky blues-rock that you (and I) deride. Hate to be so nitpicky, but Black Top is just a weird, wrong example you musta chose by throwing darts.

I will say Blind Pig has always put out lots of terrible stuff. They even bought out a bad Ellen McIlwaine record and that aint easy.

NOW you're talkin'!!!

• Here's another album in that same Atlantic Records series that put out the Blind Willie album pictured above:

You need this record for sure. Tin Pan Alley has been covered a thousand times, but this is the version. The whole record is great.

I can think of only one other that was done with this type of cover art and that was the Professor Longhair one. This is also a must have record.

The full series was listed on the back covers. Besides McTell, Longhair, and the Texas guitar anthology, there was also John Lee Hooker, Jimmy & Mama Yancey, and a blues piano compilation.

I know you didn't mention this on purpose, but I'm gonna say it. Those records (on the Blues Spectrum label) all feature a very young Shuggie Otis playing with more maturity than most cats recording on labels like Black Top today.

I'm not embarressed that I have no idea what labels that terrible modern blues and blues rock stuff is coming out on.

No, no, Wolf, the point flew way over your head - if you need a current blues label to pick on, Black Top ain't the one. First of all, they're not around anymore, and secondly, the majority of Black Top's stuff was relatively traditional. Rock-blues wasn't their bag; the 30-minute Claptonesque guitar solo was not what that label did. Now, you STILL may not like what they did in retrospect, but if you gotta piss on a defunct label, hate 'em for what they DID do, not what they DIDN'T. And believe me, they did NOT do the wanky blues-rock that you (and I) deride. Hate to be so nitpicky, but Black Top is just a weird, wrong example you musta chose by throwing darts.

NOW you're talkin'!!!

Thanks for setting me straight. It's a shame that Black Top is gone and Blind Pig is still around. They recorded New Orleans artists which is always a good thing.

I have no idea where all the obnoxious stuff i hear on the radio comes from, but I know a lot of good artists like Shamika Copeland and Tab Benoit are making sucky records.

The full series was listed on the back covers. Besides McTell, Longhair, and the Texas guitar anthology, there was also John Lee Hooker, Jimmy & Mama Yancey, and a blues piano compilation.

I've had them all. The McTell, Longhair and TX TO LA are stellar. I can't remember the JLH, but I think it duplicated the early Detroit sides I had on a record called Coast To Coast blues band. Can't remember the piano one, maybe I never had it. I remember I didn't like the Jimmy & Mama Yancey record, but it was decades ago so I would gladly listen again.

No, no, Wolf, the point flew way over your head - if you need a current blues label to pick on, Black Top ain't the one.[/b] First of all, they're not around anymore, and secondly, the majority of Black Top's stuff was relatively traditional. Rock-blues wasn't their bag; the 30-minute Claptonesque guitar solo was not what that label did. Now, you STILL may not like what they did in retrospect, but if you gotta piss on a defunct label, hate 'em for what they DID do, not what they DIDN'T. And believe me, they did NOT do the wanky blues-rock that you (and I) deride. Hate to be so nitpicky, but Black Top is just a weird, wrong example you musta chose by throwing darts.

NOW you're talkin'!!!

Thanks for setting me straight. It's a shame that Black Top is gone and Blind Pig is still around. They recorded New Orleans artists which is always a good thing.

I have no idea where all the obnoxious stuff i hear on the radio comes from, but I know a lot of good artists like Shamika Copeland and Tab Benoit are making sucky records.
    Guitar Shorty on Black Top = pretty good soulish blues
    Guitar Shorty on Alligator = stomach-turning blues-rock