Lesser Known Motown Releases Suggestions

13»

Comments

• im into this space dudes records, dont think he had any major hits, i only know these three joints...

this was the group Formerly known as Maxayn

I'm not 100% positive, but I think Andre Lewis was the only member who was in Maxayn.

• Speaking about the VIP label, the King Floyd album "heart of the Matter" is probably the best thing I've heard on that subsidiary

Ah! That's the one I was trying to remember - yes, a fantastic
    album, pretty much end-to-end.

Speaking on this album, I got 2 different label pressings, one on VIP and one on Pulsar, does anyone know which is the original?

The version on Pulsar (Man In Love) is the original, from '69. Motown then reissued it on VIP in '71 after Floyd started having hits on Chimneyville ("Groove Me," "Woman Don't Go Astray," etc.).

• so what bout this one

lesser known?

it must be, it didnt make the charts

• The Originals! Now there's a group that stood in the other Motown acts shadows. Kinda like the Spinners when they were with that company. Only the Originals had stronger material than the Motown Spinners did. (Going by this Spinners comp I have on Motown, the move to Atlantic saved those cats because their Motown sides just SCREAM "third tier.")

Pickwick:[/b] which Motown era Spinners LP's have you heard.

I have that best-of in the Motown Superstar Series (with a B&W promo shot of the group in white suits, from when G.C. Cameron was still with them), as well as two or three of the 45's.

I have their second one on VIP (the one with "It's a Shame") and outside of the hit, which I never liked, its a rather solid album (IMHO).

I didn't mean to imply that the Spinners' Motown records were bad per se, I just don't think they were distinctive.

Ya see, the songwriters at Motown tended to save their best stuff for whomever was selling. Because the Spinners weren't yet the superstars they became over at Atlantic, seems to me that a lot of their records were either hand-me-downs from another Motown act (like "Message From A Black Man," originally done by the Temptations), or just material that sounded like B-sides. Again, I'm not saying that they sucked during this period - I actually like "It's A Shame," and "I'll Always Love You" is a neglected classic. They had some good records in release when they were with Berry Gordy. But they weren't INCREDIBLE, like those early Atlantic records with Thom Bell producing, and had they stayed at Motown, they probably wouldn't be as well-remembered.

I've thought about going through ebay to get some of the others and I'd like to know which ones turned you off.

The Spinners only had two proper Motown albums, the one you have (Second Time Around) plus an earlier LP with a yellow cover (contains "I'll Always Love You"). Any other album is a reissue of some kind, like the album I got.

And that's why I was so surprised that the Originals' Naturally Together was as good as it was, because I was half-expecting it to be another second-rung project like the Spinners were. If the songs on the Originals' LP weren't written especially for the group, they at least sound like they were.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Supergood said:

Puzzle - The Second Album (1973)

Some enjoyable Blood Sweat and Tears-type Jazz Rock featuring John LiVigni on lead vocals. I think this one is better than their self-titled debut, which was also released on Motown.

LiVigni would go on to change his name to John Valenti 2 years down the line and record the modern/northern/crossover soul classics "Why Don't We Fall In Love?" and "Anything You Want" for Ariola Records.

SG

Hey,

This is a cool LP, and I featured "State of Mind" from it at 18 minutes in here:

Also, here is another cool, little-known Motown-affiliate Gordy Records release:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    im into this space dudes records, dont think he had any major hits, i only know these three joints...

this was the group Formerly known as Maxayn

I'm not 100% positive, but I think Andre Lewis was the only member who was in Maxayn.

Yeah, I ride for Mandre ever since my uncle gave me the "Freakin's Fine" 12" back in 1979.  My joint is "Wonder What I'd Do" from the self-titled joint, which I featured on my "Saturday Coolout" mix a few years ago:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak