is there a good reason to have a landline phone???

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
seriously, i'm thinkin bout just droppin' this bitch. i barely use the muthafuckwad and i gots to pay like a $70 bill every month. i'm sayin', just get a thorough ass cell plan and ride wit that bitch instead of landline. whatchall soulstrut batches think about that schitt? is there any reason at ALL that a landline situation might be ??? yall some of the smartest muthas walking upright, i trust that you'll know all the ins and outs and can help me with this dilenma. THANKS!

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    its been over 2 years since ive owned a landline, and im fine with it.

• I got one but it's unplugged most of the time as I like to see who is calling and my home phone has no caller ID...

• Options
    seriously, i'm thinkin bout just droppin' this bitch. i barely use the muthafuckwad and i gots to pay like a $70 bill every month. i'm sayin', just get a thorough ass cell plan and ride wit that bitch instead of landline. whatchall soulstrut batches think about that schitt? is there any reason at ALL that a landline situation might be ??? yall some of the smartest muthas walking upright, i trust that you'll know all the ins and outs and can help me with this dilenma. THANKS!

Landlines are dying out quick, I know well since I worked on them though now I am in the fiberoptic side.

Only advantage landlines have over cellphones is the lack of dropped calls. Not much reason to hold onto one for a lot of people. Other people hold onto hardwired (re: non-portables) phones so they still have a phone to use when power goes out. During the blackout three years ago the only phones that worked were hardwires. Cellphones too, but they were overloaded and there was little signal to be had.

I have to have a landline, my cell doesn't work well enough in my house plus I require clear communication signals to take advantage of the overwhelming richness of my buttervoice.

• There is no reason to run a landline unless you have an at-home business, IMO.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    There is no reason to run a landline unless you have an at-home business, IMO.

of if you need something to prevent the feds from tappin, sort of
    and or if you need a fax

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

and or if you need a fax

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i have it only cause it's required for our DSL connection

...or am I missing something?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    One advantage landlines have over cellphones is the lack of dropped calls.

Another advantage is you still have a phone to use when power goes out. During the blackout three years ago the only phones that worked were hardwires.

I have to have a landline, my cell doesn't work well enough in my house plus I require clear communication signals to take advantage of the overwhelming richness of my buttervoice.

How many times have you just kept talking to someone until the damn cell phone rings in your hand and you have no idea when it was that your incredible flow was interrupted? It has never happened with the landline.

Plus, the buttervoice is not to be undersold.

Hi Sween. When provoked, will strike.

JRoot

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i dont have any compelling reasons to keep it, but i do have 3 side thoughts:

1. if you use DSL for your hi speed internet, you gotsa have it.

2. $70/month is outrageous for basic landline service. my service in LA (basically for DSL) was $9 a month until they recently changed a few rules, now its $17.

3. if you do keep a landline on, consider it being for a corded (non-cordless) phone - they dont need power to work if the power goes out and you still have phone service (emergency safety tip strut)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You can get what's called a "dry loop" connection (at least if you have Verizon), so that you're not also paying for phone service that you don't use.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

yes, you are. we have dsl and no phone. haven't had a landline for 4 years. i'm posting from dsl rightnow.

lack of landline only became a problem when we wanted to get monitored home security. but even then the extra cost to the security company is way less than a bullshit landline.

shit's over.

yes, you are. we have dsl and no phone. haven't had a landline for 4 years. i'm posting from dsl rightnow.

lack of landline only became a problem when we wanted to get monitored home security. but even then the extra cost to the security company is way less than a bullshit landline.

shit's over.

how is this possible? i have cingular not verizon for my mobile. does it matter? and i think i am locked into my sbcglobal dsl for a year.

we would love to ditch the landline though.

• Options

and or if you need a fax

You serious? Landlines are the easiest things to tap. You don't even have to hit them from main boxes (which might be watched) or the central offices (where people might be paid for such info)...I could drop one into a splice in a manhole a mile away from the house or business and be done and gone in five minutes with no interruption in service, depending on how long I decide to listen in on my own for awhile to try and figure out why they are tapping you.

I've installed taps. It's fun, I wear a black hat on those days.

• You could die waitting for 911 on a cell, as 911 calls from cell phones go thru the state, then county, then city.

Youll get transfered 2 maybe 3 times before you get to the right person.

You can get a land line for as little as 9 bucks a month, keep it.

• Options
    One advantage landlines have over cellphones is the lack of dropped calls.

Another advantage is you still have a phone to use when power goes out. During the blackout three years ago the only phones that worked were hardwires.

How many times have you just kept talking to someone until the damn cell phone rings in your hand and you have no idea when it was that your incredible flow was interrupted? It has never happened with the landline.

Plus, the buttervoice is not to be undersold.

Hi Sween. When provoked, will strike.

JRoot

Hi J...still looking for that shirt for you. Raer isn't the word. Next strike in 2008, maybe more will pop up then.

can you tap into elise's pm box (ayo?) and reveal to us who this virtual soulstrut tour guide is? you know..."REAL SHIT".

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I'm talking about the ease of which the feds can listen in on cell phone calls since they're um beamed through the air

• Options

can you tap into elise's pm box (ayo?) and reveal to us who this virtual soulstrut tour guide is? you know..."REAL SHIT".

Nah, I don't know a thing about computers. It's sad really.

• Options
    I'm talking about the ease of which the feds can listen in on cell phone calls since they're um beamed through the air

Oh. Carry on then.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

now dont be bringin nunna that elise schitt all up in this thread now, ms damn. i been trying to avoid that elise schitt since it started. no disrespect to elise, i'm sure she is very worthy of all this SS attention... just sayin'

shit's over.

how is this possible? i have cingular not verizon for my mobile. does it matter? and i think i am locked into my sbcglobal dsl for a year.

i don't know how it's possible, but it is. when we bought this house in dec 05, we called verizon and they gave us dsl with no other strings. we have cingular phones.

unless you have no reception, there's no reason for a landline. none.

you can program the right 911 in your phone.

okay, so it's settled: i'm deadin' the landline asap. BTW, the wife has a seperate (but equal) landline in the cribbo, just in case of emergencyesque situations

• okay, so it's settled: i'm deadin' the landline asap. BTW, the wife has a seperate (but equal) landline in the cribbo, just in case of emergencyesque situations

Mark, stop.

okay, so it's settled: i'm deadin' the landline asap. BTW, the wife has a seperate (but equal) landline in the cribbo, just in case of emergencyesque situations

naw, i got something much more effective for those kinda situations

shit's over.

I have what Fatback has--Verizon calls it "dry loop" service; other providers may call it something else.

You're going to have to get it from a company that provides both telephone and DSL service; a company that only provides DSL service concurrently with another company's phone service won't be able to do it.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    as someone who has been living w/out...this is a weird question i guess, but do you all never lose yr cell phones???? i left mine in a friend's car for just a weekend when i was drunk this summer and had the most obnoxious time trying to get in touch with anybody

plus the number of times its slipped between the couch cushions...

just sayin, a landline has its uses.

• cascas 1,484 Posts

naw, i got something much more effective for those kinda situations

as someone who has been living w/out...this is a weird question i guess, but do you all never lose yr cell phones???? i left mine in a friend's car for just a weekend when i was drunk this summer and had the most obnoxious time trying to get in touch with anybody

plus the number of times its slipped between the couch cushions...

just sayin, a landline has its uses.

here, it amounts to 25 per month after taxes tolls and other bs. i break a cell phone once a year at the most and 300 for a back up is not worth it.

• brodambrodam 46 Posts
    You could die waitting for 911 on a cell, as 911 calls from cell phones go thru the state, then county, then city.

Youll get transfered 2 maybe 3 times before you get to the right person.

You can get a land line for as little as 9 bucks a month, keep it.

Some info I lernt from a First Aid class -

It is better to call 911 from a landline, as your address automatically pops up. The call is answered 1st by the police, so if you have an medical emergency you should not waste time explaining anything, just ask to be transferred to the Fire Dept.

If you only have a cell, you should store your local Fire Department's direct emergency line in your cell phone (the # is in the front of your local phone book). Cellphone 911 calls are answered by the State Highway Patrol, so either call the direct emergency line, or ask to be transferred to the Fire Dept.