1940's and 1950's Jazz Recommendations

99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Also, what I like to call "old man jazz". When you're in the mood what's the one "old man jazz" record you always reach for?I got this old Lester Young LP that's beatiful, I will post a pic of it in a few.

Comments

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Someone else on here recommended to me that Duke Ellington "Boss Nova" album which is also cool.

Bueller?

• 40's and 50's Jazz encompasses a whole lot of music. It goes from the development of Bop to Hard Bop. I would check out Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Monk...If you want the big band sound I would recommend all things Duke because he was so prolific.

Hey thanks cousin, yeah im not looking for big band. More of the quiet introspective albums that are on the cusp of being bop.

Do you have a favorite album that would fall in that category?

• He died in 41 but you might like Chu Berry his version of Gee, Ain't I Good to You is a personal favorite.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    does anyone know where the live track of Dinah Washington and Clifford Brown "What's new?" comes from.

Also, my favorite is Bud Powell, but he's more hard bop.

I always hated that 40's big band swing stuff.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    This is a bit like asking for a "90's Rap Recommendation", there's just so many different styles and artists. Here's a favorite LP of mine though, some people think it's too mellow but to me it's perfect:

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts

A dream team. Worth it for "Love for Sale" alone.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    does anyone know where the live track of Dinah Washington and Clifford Brown "What's new?" comes from.
    Was going to guess "Dinah Jams" but I'm wrong - album is classic tho, "I've Got You Under My Skin" = whoa

um yeah there's like a million albums from this period but i was just listening to Lee Morgan's "Candy," so,

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    "I've Got You Under My Skin"

that the name of the LP?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    "I've Got You Under My Skin"

that the name of the LP?
    nah its a song off of Dinah Jams

• I love this album and it is super cheap and easy to find. His playing is really just perfect especially on the last song on the second side (I can't remember the title).

"Chet Baker Sings" of course. Chicks dig the Chet too, for a romantic evening. Win-Win.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

50s vocal jazz at its very best

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

• Get yerself some elegance:

Coleman Hawkins Encounters Ben Webster (1957)
    Ben Webster -Soulville (1957)
    Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson (1959)

Check out one of the more underrated figures in jazz:

Pee Wee Russell -Over the Rainbow (1958)

Forget everything you know about this guy:

Stan Kenton -City of Glass (1951) uncompromising weirdness courtesy of bonkersgenius arranger Bob Graettinger. If you like it, get This Modern World too.

And pick up whatever Louis Armstrong or Jack Teagarden comp you see that contains their lifechanging 1947 version of "St. James Infirmary". It'll convince you that Teagarden was one of the greatest jazz vocalists...

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Also, my favorite is Bud Powell, but he's more hard bop.

I clicked on this to mention Bud.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Also, what I like to call "old man jazz". When you're in the mood what's the one "old man jazz" record you always reach for?

I got this old Lester Young LP that's beatiful, I will post a pic of it in a few.

This old Sidney Bechet compilation my actual old man gave me when I was about 14 or 15. "Petite Fleur" is my shit - the real "Phone Tap" o.g.

I like me some Benny Goodman (even though he bit Fletcher Henderson) and Artie Shaw too, but I bet they gets no love in this thread.

• Artie Shaw too, but I bet he gets no love in this thread.

Ava Gardner
    Betty Grable
    Lana Turner
    Rita Hayworth
    Yvonne De Carlo
    Kathleen Winsor

Artie doesn't need any love from us!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I thought it was poor form to show Benny Goodman lovv after the Charlie Christian incident.

Plus Benny gets namechecked all the time. Well, twice that I know of.