dancefloor fela

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
now ive seen fela records ignite dancefloors on many occasions (whatup rich!)and i dropped "waterget no enemy" and got a explosive reaction at 3:30am on saturday. whassyour top fela burners in your opinions experiencealways musch respect to fela, byt the way

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    "waterget no enemy"

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    now ive seen fela records ignite dancefloors on many occasions

lucky bastard!

unsophisticated locals down here will pretty much universally clear the floor at the hint of anything afrobeat

the only exception would be ck mann, which was well appreciated by gorgeous chicks...

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    now ive seen fela records ignite dancefloors on many occasions (whatup rich!)

and i dropped "waterget no enemy" and got a explosive reaction at 3:30am on saturday. whassyour top fela burners in your opinions experience

always musch respect to fela, byt the way

That's a first for me to hear that. I've never dug Fela at any rate, but in my experience a Fela record (always played be somebody else - I don't own a Fela record) either clears the dancefloor, or is OK for early doors warm up.......whilst you flip the box for the more serious dancefloor ammo, and get a few beers down your neck.

• "Go Slow" does it for me.... heeeaatt...

I do an all Afrobeat monthly and as far as Fela goes, only "water get..." has any serious wild out reaction...

Shameless self promo:

SoulAfrica & Ekiti Tyrbe presents Fireside Vibe (Ethnic Music Series)

featuring sound provision by:
    Jef Cashless

Every 3rd Friday

at The Pyramid shop // 3215 Dowling @ Elgin in the heart of 3rd ward

featuring the sounds of
    Afrobeat
    Makossa
    Soulcous

SoulAfrica

• I've seen floors go crazy for "Zombie", "Roforofo Fight", "Expensive Shit", "I.T.T", "Let's Start" and "Ye Ye de Smell"... not forgetting the Roayres collabo "2000 Blacks gotta be free". That shit is music MADE for dancing.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    cash...wheres your night at?

go slow, of course. thats a banger

yo, i dont know how many have seen rich medina spin, but in philly he used to get people moving on the floor and he'd end most nights with a fela trak and people would go bananas, sweat flying foot stomping go for broke...and im sure people had no clue what they were dancing too...just feeling it

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    I had good responses from Shakara (also a good bathroom break record)...

DigDug, is that CK Mann you've got off of that comp from years back?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

yo, i dont know how many have seen rich medina spin, but in philly he used to get people moving on the floor and he'd end most nights with a fela trak and people would go bananas, sweat flying foot stomping go for broke...and im sure people had no clue what they were dancing too...just feeling it

WITNESS

go slow, of course. thats a banger

Hmmm...maybe this was the Fela track that I and other people went nuts to when Rich spun at the Squarebiz Roy Ayers tribute last year. I need to do some follow-up research on that, because whatever it was must be copped.

Tone, was that a regular gig you did or just a one-off?

DigDug, is that CK Mann you've got off of that comp from years back?

psssh... probably not the comp you're thinking of, this is some bullshit bootleg comp from the 90s. the quality is terrible.

thats one that I would absolutely be willing to shell out for an original of one day though... anyone know if the rest of the album is straight highlife or if there's other crossover material?

• Options
    Second the Shakara ignition. This, while more funk than afrobeat, has never failed.

I can't recall any Fela track failing on a Toronto dancefloor before????

K.

Second the Shakara ignition. This, while more funk than afrobeat, has never failed.

[img]I can't recall any Fela track failing on a Toronto dancefloor before????

I get the impression that slower tempos and longer tracks go over better in Canada than they do here

Houston, texas, home of the 2nd largest population of Nigerian immigrants in America.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    Dmitri From Paris Rework of Expensive Shit always works for me. Its on the B side of the Masters at Work Expensive Shit 12" from the Our Time is Coming LP

• Options

Houston, texas, home of the 2nd largest population of Nigerian immigrants in the United States of America.

, K.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

would "everything scatter" fit the bill?

heard it played (most likely off CD) at an afrobeat night a few years back and it definitely got people moving.

• Options
    I wouldn't say the preferred the slow stuff, but that they're indifferent to pace (to a degree). The rare groove and house scene here have done mucho Fela mind-burning over the years.

K.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    "water get no enemy"

i played this at a wedding last night and muhfugging 50 year old formerformerhippies were getting it in on the dancefloor!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I've seen floors go crazy for "Zombie", "Roforofo Fight", "Expensive Shit", "I.T.T", "Let's Start" and "Ye Ye de Smell"... not forgetting the Roayres collabo "2000 Blacks gotta be free". That shit is music MADE for dancing.

Definetely! And can't forget about "Yellow Fever".

• Options
    Miles (Cleret) of Soundway records has just reissued this (1st and 2nd tune) on 45 (mastered from this record. You guys should pick it up.

K in Canada.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Masters at Work Expensive Shit 12" from the Our Time is Coming LP

the irony of dudes who command ??37000 for a gig doin mixes of Expensive Shit is

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    In the dancefloor of my own apartment, I jam to "Shuffering and Shmiling."

• Masters at Work Expensive Shit 12" from the Our Time is Coming LP

the irony of dudes who command ??37000 for a gig doin mixes of Expensive Shit is

You saw that too. Thats insane right??

In the dancefloor of my own apartment, I jam to "Shuffering and Shmiling."

That also "goes hard in the paint".

You saw that too. Thats insane right??

more insane was the later news that basement jaxx got paid like ??40K for a new years gig

where's your head at INDEED

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

how is that possible? you would have get 5000 people in the club.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

Can't they fit like 3 or 4 thousand people at the Ministry of Sound?

well i believe the figure i read was 1800 advance tickets ALONE sold at ??20... who knows what they charged at the door or the overall capacity of the club but money was still made shockingly enough.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Fucking bums. What did Masters at Work ever do that was so great?

I keeed. Expensive shit indeed. Did anyone see their 45 box sets from WMC? FOCUSED

word crazy shit indeed.

the scary thing is that people were willing to pay that much money to see two chubby dudes spin cdrs while paying ??10 fer a lager