Timbaland sampled from a game? Is it a rip off?

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    off topic, but my favorite Timbo sample is the intro to one of the Genuine albums samples the Macgyver theme!

• sucks for that guy.

is e-digging for video game music made by finnish nerds the future?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    He probably doesn't deserve a singe[/b] cent anyways.

• is e-digging for video game music made by finnish nerds the future?

• is e-digging for video game music made by finnish nerds the future?

well, i think it's safe to say that sampling contempo sounds is becoming more acceptable, B>again[/b].
    "Touch It" sampling Daft Punk is another example.

but think back to the beginnings of this music, that's how it was...
    Kraftwerk?!?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    if you read the thread it's not from a video game, it's just a song somebody made on a C64 and posted up for free. and, as pointed out in that thread, Danjahandz "co-produced" that song.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    is e-digging for video game music made by finnish nerds the future?

well, i think it's safe to say that sampling contempo sounds is becoming more acceptable, B>again[/b].
    "Touch It" sampling Daft Punk is another example.

I always wondered about that Cocoa Brovaz song "Super Brooklyn" that samples one of the themes from Super Mario Land. Did they get away clean without hassle from Nintendo with that one?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    In order to get sued you have to first be making money. Cocoa Brovaz wasn't. For the most part people don't sue independent labels for using samples because the company would spend more on lawyers than they could get from the indy.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    For the most part people don't sue independent labels for using samples because the company would spend more on lawyers than they could get from the indy.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    For the most part[/b] people don't sue independent labels for using samples because the company would spend more on lawyers than they could get from the indy.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    yea.. needless to say, 99 records is now great for late night paneer bingeing

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    *snooze*

He'll need a lot more than an army of video game geeks to get anything out of this situation. He'd be better off just hollering at Timbaland directly, maybe he can be a ghostproducer.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    holy shit your avatar is

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    I was in the basement of a South London spot that has, say, about 10,000 Indian/ Pakistani/ Bollywood/ Punjabi LPs and while chatting up one of the clerks there he said Timbo had dropped about 300 gbp on records there 3 months previous...

This got me thinking

a) he probably beat me to some joints...and..

b) not only is it creatively a good move to sample Indian/ Middle Eastern sh*t to change things up, but I imagine all this Indian / Middle Eastern stuff is a whole nother sphere of lawyers, industry folks, etc. Meaning, by not sampling American artists, he may be evading American entertainment lawyers, and the limitations of sample clearances, etc..

(* he may be paying these folks/ this is all speculative)

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Timberland got sued for the Big Pimpin sample and lost.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    The guy probably won't see a cent. He should just use the publicity to sell his game music.

The two tracks sound quite similar but his original track sounds a lot like Just The Two of Us[/b]. Just peep it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    not only is it creatively a good move to sample Indian/ Middle Eastern sh*t to change things up, but I imagine all this Indian / Middle Eastern stuff is a whole nother sphere of lawyers, industry folks, etc. Meaning, by not sampling American artists, he may be evading American entertainment lawyers, and the limitations of sample clearances, etc..

Uh, just ask Dr. Dre about that.

At least with the Indian record industry, you're talking about a massive industry and best believe - they're not dumb about copyright shit.

• The two tracks sound quite similar but his original track sounds a lot like Just The Two of Us[/b]. Just peep it.

Haha, no doubt. The irony...

• what timbo sampled is called a demo. (dude goes into the whole history a little bit) a lont time ago pre popular internet days there were BBSs that you would call up with a modem and download warez and inside those zipped up files were demos which basically consisted of a MOD (music) and an animation advertising who the group was that cracked it or an add for the BBS is was downloaded from. huge underground scene revolved around these groups that would put out these demos and some of them got payed for this. the two best graphics groups were www.ice.org and acid. I don't know who was really big in the demo scene cause that shit has been around for over 20 years. I only remember up to about '93.

what timbo did though is taking sampling and beat jacking to a whole different level. I haven't heard the audio yet but instead of him taking the .mod file and dropping it into a tracker he prolly looped it. this shit opens up a whole different game cause you could see him taking MIDI files off the internet for known or unknown shit and basically load it up into his sequencer load up a different sample for a bassline or the drums in the tracks and rework the whole or straight jack a melody or bassline with the quickness. I am surprised no other big name have done this (to my knowledge -- I am prolly wrong).

it just makes making a song or a beat soo easy. you can use other peoples shits as templates and change shit around. it is definately cheating but as the years go on I bet you will hear more about this as people become a little more savy.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    How can it be that copyright infringement can only be chased up by someone with crazy money? And wouldn't lawyers be lining up to take on the big guns? I mean it's hardly an obscure sampling of it, it's a straight rip! What could the argument possibly be?

I dunno, I think it's a bitch act to do, especially when timbo clearly has the money. It's a shame, but maybe the dude should just holla at him.

• How can it be that copyright infringement can only be chased up by someone with crazy money? And wouldn't lawyers be lining up to take on the big guns? I mean it's hardly an obscure sampling of it, it's a straight rip! What could the argument possibly be?

I dunno, I think it's a bitch act to do, especially when timbo clearly has the money. It's a shame, but maybe the dude should just holla at him.

i work at a firm that does copyright litigation. anyone have any contact info for this dude?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    but think back to the beginnings of this music, that's how it was...
    Kraftwerk?!?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I don't understand how this is any different than any other kind of sampling. Lots of dudes sample or interpolate entire melodies from other songs. I don't take it for granted that any producer, keyboard or otherwise, didn't steel riffs or lines from other songs, and neither should you.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't understand how this is any different than any other kind of sampling. Lots of dudes sample or interpolate entire melodies from other songs. I don't take it for granted that any producer, keyboard or otherwise, didn't steel riffs or lines from other songs, and neither should you.

I believe that the indignation has something to do with the tenets of real schitt. Beyond that, I am also at a loss to understand it.

• I don't understand how this is any different than any other kind of sampling. Lots of dudes sample or interpolate entire melodies from other songs. I don't take it for granted that any producer, keyboard or otherwise, didn't steel riffs or lines from other songs, and neither should you.

Actually it's quite different. As noted above, using .mod or midi files opens up an entirely new world of production that exists somewhere between sampling and interpolation. and really, it's the best of both those worlds. it cuts out a lot of the leg work associated with finding a hot loop, :brrrreakface:, if you consider finding/sifting through actual records and playing/recording them vs. sifting through midi files and importing them into a sequencer.

I think it kind of melds the not-requiring-much-creativity aspect of sampling loops with the flexibility of interpolation. Also with regard to interpolation, using a midi or mod file eliminates the most challenging step there as well--actually interpolating that shit! But more importantly, once its in there, it becomes incredibly easy to edit. Whether you rewrite part of the progression to avoid sampling laws altogether or completely change the character of its sound.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    The songs sound the same but they're so generic that I can imagine 500 people thought up this beat while riding the subway this morning.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    The songs sound the same but they're so generic that I can imagine 500 people thought up this beat while riding the subway this morning.

hahahah! i can see that.