Question about DDR RAM for PC

G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Is it even worth it to throw a 512 MB stick of DDR RAM in a newer PC? What's the difference between DDR and DDR2? Is there anything special you need to do aside from unplugging the machine, installing the stick, and plugging it back in and starting it up? Knowledge me, soulstrut.

Comments

• To answer your first question, with newer PCs you generally want at least a gig of RAM in there, and the more the better. But, 512 is enough to run a computer with. Things will probably be a bit sluggish but it'll run.

As to the rest of your question, DDR and DDR2 are not the same thing and are not interchangeable. They're based on the same technology but DDR has 184 pins and DDR2 has 240 pins. The main thing you need to keep in mind when installing new RAM is to make sure your particular motherboard uses that type of RAM. If your mobo uses DDR2 and you only have a stick of DDR then you're shit outta luck. Assuming you have the right type of RAM then you need to make sure that your mobo supports the speed of the RAM. DDR/DDR2 come in different speeds such as 100mhz, 133mhz, 166mhz, 200mhz, and up. Your mobo manual should specify the maximum speed RAM it can take, so say your mobo takes DDR that's 166mhz, you can't buy DDR that's 200mhz and try to use it in your computer; you can only use the fastest your mobo handles or slower.

Thankfully, they give RAM sticks more common and easy to use names. Your manual should specify something like PC-1600, PC-2100, PC-2700, something like that, if it uses regular DDR. If it uses DDR2 then you'll see names like PC2-3200, PC2-4200, etc. That way as long as those numbers match what your mobo takes you don't have to worry about the different speeds. The other thing to check is if your mobo requires the RAM to be in there in specific ways. Some mobos require that you use 2 sticks of the same type of RAM, some allow you to mix and match different capacities, things like that.

As far as installing RAM, it's pretty much as simple as you described. You turn off the computer, disconnect the power cord, then pop the RAM sticks into the slots. Make sure the sticks are seated properly and then when you power up the computer everything should work fine. The main thing when working with RAM is to try and make sure you ground yourself to the system or something metal before you pick up the RAM so there's no static charge. If you have static built up and pick up the RAM it's possible you could fry it and it won't work. So, just grab your PC case before you grab the RAM and install it and everything should be cool.

And to totally blow your mind and overwhelm you, here's Wikipedia entries on DDR and DDR2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2

• Damn, !!

Thanks for that. I will check the Wiki info too. Do you knwo if it's possible to determine the type of RAM the mobo uses through either the BIOS or the operating system? I just got some extra sticks out of some computers at my work and I am going to see about installing them on a friend's machine. He bought a Dell about a year ago and it only came with 256 megs of RAM, if you can believe that. I want to install some audio software but I fear it won't even be able to handle the interface with that little amount of RAM. Also, if you put in RAM that DOESN'T work with your board, can it mess anything up?

Thanks again for your info, it helps!