Miles Davis masters + Bill Laswell= Panthalassa

13»

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I think a lot of the hate here is similar to the kind of hate that Jurassic 5 gets on this board - more to do with the fanbase than the actual music.

Dude, their music is horrible--the fans in the hemp parkas whose matted blonde "dreadlocks" support small ecosystems are just the cherry on top.

DON'T NO DREADS CHERRY BITCH ORGANIC. HOTT!

you NYC hatters are why the baord has fallen off since back when it was good.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

you NYC hatters are why the baord has fallen off since back when it was good.

On the contrilly, dudes who refuse to allow New York to tell them what to like are why the board has fallen off since back when it was good.

• In a perfect Laswellian society, everybody would listen to his music while cleaning the house.

• I think a lot of the hate here is similar to the kind of hate that Jurassic 5 gets on this board - more to do with the fanbase than the actual music.

Dude, their music is horrible--the fans in the hemp parkas whose matted blonde "dreadlocks" support small ecosystems are just the cherry on top.

well, I feel the same way about most of the (c)rappers you herald as the 2nd coming on here. The fans in the pink furry parkas with faux diamond necklaces from Fulton St. are just the hotsauce on the chicken wings.

I think a lot of the hate here is similar to the kind of hate that Jurassic 5 gets on this board - more to do with the fanbase than the actual music.

well, I feel the same way about most of the (c)rappers you herald as the 2nd coming on here. The fans in the pink furry parkas with faux diamond necklaces from Fulton St. are just the hotsauce on the chicken wings.

uh oh, looks lke another coldplay/jay-z VS DaveMathews/J5 battle.

Let me just go ahead and say that any rap after '93 sucks unless it's from the South. And the South means you have to be on the Gulf Coast.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Okay. That point went over my head. But, are you crediting Macero with the idea of cut and paste in music?

No.

The methodology was simulatneously being utilized by Holger Czukay on the Can albums, and it was going off to the hilt in avant garde electonic music starting in the 40's.

You are right, but we were talking about Teo Macero and his approach beginning with In A Silent Way, not getting into the prog, avant-garde or musique concrete, all of which has been of interest to me for years (I've done a few experimental things in my own music, which all came from what came before.)

Since you brought it up, I have a question. What would be a good book or source (web site) which gets into musique concrete and avant-garde music? I always like the coverage in "Signal To Noise" magazine, and I also am a fan of the book "The Ambient Century", but would like to get more in-depth.

There's also a great online project going on called The Avant Garde Project, with music being available via bit torrent:
    http://www.avantgardeproject.org/

It's a mixture of various styles, including avant-garde classical composers, and if anyone wants to check it out, feel free.

• I think a lot of the hate here is similar to the kind of hate that Jurassic 5 gets on this board - more to do with the fanbase than the actual music.

Let me just go ahead and say that any rap after '93 sucks unless it's from the South. And the South means you have to be on the Gulf Coast.

Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

this book has some good chapters on those topics, but they are at an intro level. i mostly go for books about specific composers for more indepth. i'm not sure where you are or what you already know. of course the recordings usually have good notes too.

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Music-Concise-History-World/dp/0500202788

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

BATCH CHAIR

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    My disdain for the dude has been eloquently put on sevral of the above posts.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Since you brought it up, I have a question. What would be a good book or source (web site) which gets into musique concrete and avant-garde music? I always like the coverage in "Signal To Noise" magazine, and I also am a fan of the book "The Ambient Century", but would like to get more in-depth.

David Toop's Haunted Weather is a great place to start. Also the phonography.org listserve (basically musique concrete in the digital age). Do you have access to Jstor? UBU.com is definitely so necessary. There is a professor in my department named Allen Weiss who is supposedly big clout in academia as far as avant garde music goes, but i haven't met him, so I can't say. However, he did just put out a book of essays that he edited that are all about avant garde music. I am mostly a John Cage reader, so I am really big on Conversing with Cage by Richard Kostelanetz. PM me if any of this stuff seems relevant.

My disdain for the dude has been eloquently put on sevral of the above posts.

all?

five stars

• But seriously, Bill Laswell makes music for people who can't stomach real jazz, real reggae, real funk or real rap.

this coming from the guy who has a lifetime wire subscription

i am confused

well, I feel the same way about most of the (c)rappers you herald as the 2nd coming on here. The fans in the pink furry parkas with faux diamond necklaces from Fulton St. are just the hotsauce on the chicken wings. [/b]

and did you really do the "(c)rap" thing?

well, I feel the same way about most of the (c)rappers you herald as the 2nd coming on here. The fans in the pink furry parkas with faux diamond necklaces from Fulton St. are just the hotsauce on the chicken wings. [/b]

and did you really do the "(c)rap" thing?

i eat hot sauce and chicken wings. does that mean i'm "connected"?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    i eat hot sauce and chicken wings. does that mean i'm "connected"?

As much as the Stereo MC's were.