90's pop hip hop that you always throw in a set?

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Went into a pretty long like 90s pop hip hop set last night with classics like steelo - wish i was tallerNbyNature - Hip hop hoorayRob base and ez rock - takes twotupac - i get aroundsalt n peppa - push itsummertime - jazzy jeff and fresh prince snoop shit dre shit biggietons more of shit like this what are your secret weapons to blow up the room for shit in this genre? i already have a pretty big collection of shit like this, just want to fill in some gaps.

Comments

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    haha, did last night. Had all these college kids jamming out.

• skeelo - wish i was taller

this blows up the room?

yes, everytime lately, for sure.

it's more rnb but that monica jawn Don't Take it Personal will do it too.

also TLC waterfalls, and BBD poison. ..

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Can we include the late 80s as well? That really opens it up to some more sure shots.

Within the 90s, I will include:

Black Sheep "The Choice is Yours"

They never NOT sing along with the part that goes "pick it up, pick it up, pick it up..."

• boast1boast1 142 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    what are your secret weapons to blow up the room for shit in this genre?

Secret Weapons? Do you means curveballs to the crowd or stuff that every dummy knows.

• hit em with some Double XX Posse, Two KIngs in a Cipher, then for the finale drop Black to the Future by DefJef...see if that blows up the room....

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Went into a pretty long like 90s pop hip hop set last night
    with classics like

Rob base and ez rock - takes two
    salt n peppa - push it

I don't like to be picky usually. But, these are not 90's tracks...

you know what im saying. Stuff from late 80s to 90s that get the house moving. Im looking for those forgotten classics. The shit that your like "damn i havent heard that in years". That "i gotta man" shit that dude posted in those videos is one of those tracks. I completely forgot bout that shit.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    No offense but are you asking other people to do the work for you?

• No offense but are you asking other people to do the work for you?

but nonetheless, i find that 3rd Bass brooklyn queens works well. alternate mix.

i find that 3rd Bass' Product of The Enviorment works well. Marley Marl remix.

• Onyx "slam"
    House of Pain "jump around"
    "rump shaker"
    "humpty dance"
    & the essential "ice ice baby"

The shit that your like "damn i havent heard that in years".

So yout talkin second tier stuff that MTV/common goldenage stuff that doesnt get recycled over and over.

• & the essential "ice ice baby"

oh hell no. would you play this when it came out ? then why would you play it now....cuz its cute?
    golden rule right there.

No offense but are you asking other people to do the work for you?
    not really there chief. I already have more then enough shit like this to work in my sets, like i already said, im just asking the soulstrut massive their take on this. My memory isnt that good so i forget a lot of good tunes that i have to be reminded of. Like just last night I was at this bistro type restaurant and some dude was butchering use me by bill withers with a midi guitar rig setup, and im like damn i forgot i even own that. Went home found the wax and threw it right in the crates. If you guys dont want to contribute to my query, cool. Its not like Im depending on this thread to build my sets. I get by just fine. Just want some opinions on some shit that i forgot in that whole pop tip of things. In the 80s and 90s i listened to PE, Run DMC, tribe and de la - native tongues shit. Not ima kamoze or dee lite. So if you guys want to throw out some names it would be appreciated. And im not talking bout the super common shit, more the one hit wonder shit. Like no hammer mentions or anymore vanilla ice.

Just want some opinions on some shit that i forgot in that whole pop tip of things.

Pop/popular and underplayed?

jeezzzz it never ends. I WANT SHIT THAT IS UNDERPLAYED NOW THAT WAS POPULAR TEN YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Stereo Emcees - Connected
    Lucas with the lid off
    Snow - Informer
    ETc ETC ETC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucas with the lid off
    Snow - Informer

U shouldnt be playin this stuff.

Lucas with the lid off
    Snow - Informer

U shouldnt be playin this stuff.
    haha. yo lucas with the lid off gets these white people out here in pa movin. dont sleep.

gets these white people out here in pa movin.

Alright. I knew that's what your really going for. "Golden Age Wiffle Ball Pitches."

Nice & Smooth - Hip Hop Junkies(Spanglish Rmx).

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Snow - Informer
    "A licky boom boom down"

this club you play at sounds really wack

post some pics.

Who is your audience? Becky and them?
    Just sayin. Not all that stuff from the "90's" goes over well w/ all HipHop crowds.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I think you mean shit like King Bee - Back by dope demand.

its more of a lounge then a club. Ive never played informer out, but shit in that vain. But the crowd can range from beckys, frat boys, executives, upper middle class ladies, hippies, college kids, on any given night. The place is great though, 40 foot bar, huge outdoor deck with bar and two levels, I like to bring a variety of music in case the crowd changes. I usally play a lot of jazzy funk stuff like jimmy smith root down, bill withers, booker t, to the funky 8 corners type shit. But i like to get in a real big variety of shit in Microwave so i got all my bases covered.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Damn ! It's a beautiful day outside.

How is everyone today ?

I like to bring a variety of music in case the crowd changes.

From what to what?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I like to bring a variety of music in case the crowd changes.

From what to what?

ZINGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
    Informer should've been an instrumental. The beat is cool.

• I like to bring a variety of music in case the crowd changes.

From what to what?

ZINGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
    Informer should've been an instrumental. The beat is cool.

its allllll about the lonely monday morning promo 12" w/ clark kent remix...but your party peeps might be

i gives up.

• Das EFX- Mic Checka
    Fugees-Ready OR Not
    Apache- Gangsta Bitch
    Craig Mack Get Down(Q-Tip remix)