I think we need a new New Finds thread

troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
How long has it been? Here are some relatively new ones. Some great Reggae bits. Thanks to Good Records for a few of these.Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comments

• How long has it been? Here are some relatively new ones. Some great Reggae bits. Thanks to Good Records for a few of these.
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

plaese to send the Heptones to Memphis plase, I need more of their tunes in my life...

that is my favorite Bob Marley jernt..........

• 1. eddie gale-ghetto music
    2. sweet smoke-just a poke
    3. groove holmes-onsay joy
    4. larry young-spaceballs
    5. james brown-payback
    6. charles kynard-woga
    7. dave pike-let the minstrels play on
    8. joop scholten-(obscure dutch guitar jazz w/rhodes)
    9. michael urbaniak-urbaniak
    10.elis regina-falso brihallante (holy fuck is this good)

by the way: there are no records in paris

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I'm pretty envious of that one - I found one
    at a show I hit last month, got all psyched when
    I came across it in a box of otherwise cheap records,
    but came back down to earth when I checked the price
    sticker and saw that they wanted $150 for it...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    got this yesterday

that Magic johnson tribute modern soul jam is

probably the first and only modern soul joint to namecheck Kurt Rambis

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    the finds of the past week so far--

and a number of awesome haitian 78s i found yesterday before heading up to harlem -- only 25 cents ea!--i'll post a couple as example of the labels they are on--

the first one is a field-recording of a haitian rah-rah band. the rah-rah bands use these long dijeridoo (sp?) type of flutes that sound eerie , repetitive and rhythmic--very hypnotic. there are a number of people (mostly women) singing)--it is entrancing. seriously made my day.

then there are four other haitian 78s -- from issa el saieh, a palestinian who was raised in haiti. he was a haitian musical legend and then later became this haitian art star/dealer. there is one record from guy durosier -- a famous singer, who had some flirtation with the evil papa and baby doc fascist governments at the time--though i found out he claims to have been put in that situation, and i probably wouldn't doubt it as governments always want to use their stars to promote them.

the music from those two sounds heavily influenced from the afro-cuban music of the 40s and 50s, somewhat jazzy--but also a hint of perhaps calypso or mento mixed in with their own tradional/voodoo/congo/creole style.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    i find that drinking makes me want to contribute drunkenly back to the strut. sorry of that offends anyone. in 2007 cas is all about the strut community. let's elect a mayor on some carcetti shit.

shhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    And just when I was thought Taiwan has no records, I was tipped to a junk shop, which bought up a lot of records in LA from $1 bins in the 90s and is still putting them out to this day... walls and walls of wax out in the sticks!!!

Score of the lot was a copy of Roy Porter - Inner Feelings for $1. JYEAH!

I didn't have time to look through the extensive stock, but here are a few bits and pieces I pulled out. Some commons and things I didn't have... I'm waiting to pull out those Stark Reality's when I go back!!!;

The Mack - OST LP
    Delegation - The Promise Of Love LP
    Deligation - Oh Honey 12"
    Boogie Boys - A Fly Girl 12"
    Bobbi Humphrey - Dig This! LP
    UTFO - Self-Titled LP
    Art Of Origin - No Slow Rolling 12"
    Ramsey Lewis - Mother Nature's Son LP
    Capitol Media Music - The Proessional - Prestige Themes #16 LP
    Capitol Media Music - The Professional - Space Industries #23

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    And just when I was thought Taiwan has no records, I was tipped to a junk shop, which bought up a lot of records in LA from $1 bins in the 90s and is still putting them out to this day... walls and walls of wax out in the sticks!!!

Score of the lot was a copy of Roy Porter - Inner Feelings for $1. JYEAH!

FAKE FINDS.

Naw, but I woulda cradled that shit like my new born baby if I found it in some junk shop in Taiwan for a buck.

• from the past week...OH and MI digs:

Laura Nyro- New York Tendaberry
    Nuclear Assault- Brain Death (free)
    Godheadsilo- The Scientific Supercake (free)
    Beach Boys- Surf's Up
    Joe Carroll- Man With a Happy Sound
    Parliament- Live, P-Funk Earth Tour
    Blind Rev. Gary Davis- Folk Blues
    Charles Mingus- Mingus Ah Um (six-eye mono for $7? yes please!)
    Rolling Stones- Now! (red labels, mono)

Bessie Smith- Bessie Smith Story Vol. 2 (six-eye mono)
    Camel- Mirage
    Roy Ayers Ubiquity- Mystic Voyage
    Dr. L. Subramaniam- Garland
    Horace Andy- Don't Stop/The Girl Is Mine 12" (Ragi'n Lion)
    James Brown- It's a Mother
    Tommy Ellison & The 5 Singing Stars- Good Old Ways (terdy gospel)
    Crosswind- S/T (super terdy Cincinnati private press)
    Chuck Fisher- Memories of Elvis (private OH Elvis tribute)

Naw, but I woulda cradled that shit like my new born baby if I found it in some junk shop in Taiwan for a buck.

trust me, i did, i didn't let that fucker outta my sight!!!... but I'm more excited about the prospects of all the shit in the boxes in the storeroom, it's been sittin' there since the 90s. boxes of shit from LA... shhhhhhhhhh....

• I found God

• Naw, but I woulda cradled that shit like my new born baby if I found it in some junk shop in Taiwan for a buck.

trust me, i did, i didn't let that fucker outta my sight!!!... but I'm more excited about the prospects of all the shit in the boxes in the storeroom, it's been sittin' there since the 90s. boxes of shit from LA... shhhhhhhhhh....

get the fuck out of here

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

get the fuck out of here

That's just fucking insane. Bevan you're killing it.

Whattup TONY?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

I remember AP talking about how he used to buy stuff like that at warehouse sales and what not. Truly a diamond in the rough type shit.

• Best of Nat King Cole- Chinese boot! LP
    Bailas Regionales de M??xico- LP
    Bailas Fabulosas- LP
    Favoritos de Discos Orfe??n LP

i found these on saturday morning at a flea -- $1 each---

that one little book is a book of poems from the last poets' abiodun oyewole from the early 80s --- the inside cover is signed by oyewole to a women with a note that is written in a very personal and spiritual flavor.

that jennifer lp is not my thing really, but it was produced by john cale. 12" on lower left is a signed ray baretto 12".

oops. that's not a ray b. 12"--that's a joe bataan 12"--signed by mr. joe b.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    damn dakar. thats my kind of flea!!

damn dakar. thats my kind of flea!!

some cleanout guys were set up selling what looked to be everything that beloneged to one family--from the records to african american literature--

this other guy i see at some of the record fairs and i got there at the same time. i see him diggin the dollar bins at one of the record fairs--

anyhow he went straight to the 45s--and i went straight to the lps--i spied what he got, it looks like he got some primo soul and funk 45s--on small labels that i'd never seen. he looked excited, but hey. can't win 'em all. i left happy--i'm pretty sure he did too.

sounds fair to me.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    these were "found" under my xmas tree this year. some of my relatives finally
    started figuring out i like vinyl. what they found for me is a pretty hilarious
    bag, i think they just looked at some "incredibly strange" type books and searched ebay for them.

but actually, the hitchcock is stone mint and uberraer, id been searching for that for a long time. lucky random gift!

and i finally got this in my hands thanks to a very helpful strutter:

white whale no more!

well, here's my humble flea grabs:

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    over the last 2 weeks...all 12"s unless noted:
    Spoonie Gee & the Treacherous Three - Love Rap b/w The New Rap Language (!)
    Dr. Dre - Let Me Ride (!) (promo)
    Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Road to the Riches b/w Butcher Shop (! pic cover)
    Alicia Myers - I Want To Thank You
    Big Daddy Kane - Mr. Pitiful (promo)
    Roy Ayers Ubiquity - Running Away
    Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Streets of New York b/w Poison
    Public Enemy - Bring The Noise
    Public Enemy - Don't Believe The Hype b/w Prophets of Rage (double)
    MC Lyte - Cha Cha Cha (pic cover)
    EPMD f/MOP - Symphony
    BDP - Love's Gonna Get'cha (pic cover)
    BDP - Duck Down (pic cover)
    Diamond D - JD's Revenge b/w This One (promo)
    Outkast f/Slick Rick - Da Art of Storytelling Part 1 (pic cover)
    Rakim - When I B On Tha Mic (pic cover)
    Slick Rick - Sittin' In My Car f/Doug E. Fresh b/w Cuz It's Wrong (double)
    Mos Def - Next Universe b/w Diamond - When It Pours It Rains
    Slick Rick - Street Talkin' f/Outkast (pic cover, double)
    Michael Zager Band - Life's A Party LP
    Flower - Midnight Dancing

received in trades:
    Madkap - Proof Is In The Puddin' (promo)
    No I.D. - Sky's the Limit (double)
    OGC - No Fear (pic cover, double)
    Pharoahe Monch - Right Here (promo double)
    Apathy - That Ol' Boom Bap (pic cover)
    James Brown - Are We Really Dancing 45

ebay:
    Third World - Now That We Found Love (thanks Raj!)
    Steve Wonder - All I Do 45

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

but actually, the hitchcock is stone mint and uberraer, id been searching for that for a long time. lucky random gift!

That Where are the Dead? looks intense. What's it like?

well.. its all cover. Though an infamous preacher: Jerry Falwell(!) its 1971, he's talking about, er, where the dead are. But I dont see where Jerrys confusion lies... theyre right there holmes! under them gravestones!

• still enjoying the holiday times:

• girgir 329 Posts

That Where are the Dead? looks intense. What's it like?

sadly the cover is the coolest part of the record, but it's probably the best cover for any of his sermon's that i've seen.