VANGAURD SQUAD MOTHERFUCKER

dayday 9,612 Posts
edited June 2005 in Soul Strut

Easily the illest thing to come out all year.

Peep the email I just recieved about the two that do the do, Asprin and Bambouche:
Friends,

Tsega and I are pleased to announce our little record label, the Vanguard Squad, has sprouted. Our first release, Revolution In Our Lifetime, is finally available. It???s a split-45 vinyl record featuring Tsega???s ???Revolushun??? on the A-side, and my ???Vanguard Squad Main Title Theme??? on the B-side. The 45 is accompanied in limited edition by Dissidence Begins Within, a book we wrote that discusses the theme of the record ??? armed resistance ??? as well as the personal significance of the songs.

The record is a benefit. All profits will be split between two organizations.

The first is the Integrated Holistic Approach ??? Urban Planning Development in Tsega???s hometown of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The wife of the former mayor of Addis Ababa, Jember Teferra, runs the IHA-UPD. Jember and her husband were political prisoners from 1976 ??? 1981, during which time Jember provided healthcare and created schools for her fellow inmates. Jember???s post-prison work in the IHA-UDP addresses the needs of the poorest neighborhoods in her community, providing water, sewage systems, libraries, schools, orphanages, training programs for prostitutes and the unemployed, housing for the homeless, and healthcare.

The second organization is The Freedom Archives in San Francisco, California. The archives contain over 5,000 hours of recorded media of historical struggles dating back from the ???60s and carry through today, chronicling the progressive history of solidarity movements. The Freedom Archives have released several recordings that are otherwise unavailable, including interviews and information regarding George Jackson, the Attica Rebellion, the 1973 Chilean coup, as well as many others.

The record is being distributed by Kajmere Sound Distribution in Los Angeles. Kajmere are good folks, responsible for many great recordings, including the Impeach the Precedent compilation, which benefits the Rainforest Action Network.

Besides the record and the book, our website recently got more work than Michael Jackson???s nose. Tsega went nuts. There???s all kinds of new shit on there. Be proud of him, please. The Proletariat Press, our center providing logical disputation of truth, is up and running. We???ll keep adding online articles, and occasionally provide printed matter. Dissidence Begins Within is the first printed effort for the press. The Sample Operators Union (S.O.U.L.) has new articles for people interested in sample-based music. And we???re pleased to say Mr. Jeigh has joined the list of Vanguard Squad comrades. We got some stupid mixes in the Jukebox for all the Internet listeners. We???re going to commit a few to disc in the next few months, which will be for sale on the site, so let us know which mixes you???d like to rock in the Saturn, on the train, or at your mom???s backyard bar-b-que.

Thanks for reading. And let us know what you think.

[email]bambouche@vanguardsquad.com[/email]
[email]asprin@vanguardsquad.com[/email]

Here???s the links:
http://www.vanguardsquad.com/
http://www.ksdmusic.com/
http://www.ihaudp.org/
a href="http://www.freedomarchives.org/http://www.freedomarchives.org/br />

support these brothers.

Comments

• This shit is dOpe!

Thanks and hats off to the Vanguard family...

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    damn that cover is

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I love the new-look site!! props for doing your thing guys!

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    niceness yo

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    niceness yo

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    whoa!

• Mr_DelmontMr_Delmont 279 Posts
    One of the best things to bless my ears in a while.

Y'all know you have my support.

• I believe in the Squad.

• did someone say mr. jeigh?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Doin' it REAL BIG, ya'lls! Congratz on the release!

All that design work is

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    DAMN you gotta love that label!

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    go buy it now. only 500 copies pressed. dont snooze. this is for a great cause too.

these guys get my upmost respect.

• Congrats fellas! where can i get it in new york?

bam, you having a release party/rally?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    congrats. record and site looks great. glad to see you guys doing big things. i'll be sure to snag a copy when it starts showing up on more prominant sites.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I just got my copy in the mail. The packaging alone is worth every penny... very impressive. Oh and the music is tight too. Good job!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i listen to it every morning before work. makes me chew my food more thorough

soon to be available at smalltimehustle and jumpjump

• Just purchased my copy...

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    very fresh

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    hey I'd like to get my order on, but $12 for shipping to canada seems a bit excessive... anyone know when it will be available elsewhere?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    niceness yo

shirt's hot and that Man Coda LP is also fire.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Now I know what I'm gonna spend my cash on this weekend.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    by the way... any chance of 2xl or greater shirts happening?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Nice! Real Headz makin' moves in the real world. Big up to Tsega and Bam!!!!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Just purchased my copy...

Oh Snap Pap. I posted before I nosted.

Thank you. Everyone. We appreciate it. We certainly ain't going to get the Vanguard Leer Jet off the ground with this release, but I sent a check to The Freedom Archives yesterday and it felt real nice.

I'd just like to say, Jember Teferra Appreciation!

She's a wonderful woman doing wonderful things. I've a soft spot for people who've been to prison. And she is an example to me on how to live your life. Working hard for the poorest folks in Addis Ababa. Much respect. I know Tsega feels strongly as well. It is hard times, and we're lucky enough to have a little over here, so we want to help. Even if you think our record sucks, but you got a few bucks, I'd be honored if you spent it with the IHA-UDP instead of us.

And the Freedom Archives got all the raers. Thousands of hours of recordings from undergrounders, blacklisters, militants, subversives, activists, outspeakers, martyrs, and folks. The George Jackson CD is the most beautiful in my collection. It was the first place I heard the recording of Mr. Jackson's mother speak about the state of California killing her son. She deserves her own holiday. The archives put out a record last year. It's snippets from a bunch of the gods, Howard Zinn, Angela Davis, Assata Shakur, David Gilbert, Arundhati Roy, Noam Chomsky, Emma Goldman, Christian Parenti, Earth Liberation Front, Judi Bari, Geronimo Pratt, Alexander Cockburn, Ward Churchill, Weather Underground, Cherrie Moraga, Malcolm X, Raul Garcia, Ramsey Muniz, Martin Luther King. I've got a few copies. I never knew Emma Goldman was recorded. And Arundhati Roy has the most beautiful speaking voice.

I think Groove Merchant, Smalltime Hustle, Jump Jump (although I think Dan's mother is having medical trouble, so I wouldn't bother him just yet. I hope your mom is well, Dan), Baghat, and Turntable Lab should have copies soon. And I just got good word from another strutter this morning who wants to carry it, but I don't want to preempt his shit, cause it sounds major.

Tsega's been going apeshit this month. He did a real nice looker of a site. That dude needs a man hug. Seriously. He designed all that shit. Labels. Jackets. Shirts. Logos. The site. Credit is due. I just keep saying, "you know what else would be super dope." He prolly wants to kick me by now. Thanks for not kicking me yet, DOG!

We're going to get some new shirts soon as well. We thought, "who the hell wears 2XL anymore?" Then the first order we got was from iDOX on some, "I need 5 2XL shirts for the Spiders!" So, we hired a focus group this time. All sizes, from Lohan shiek to white T bangers. Covered.

I was planning on making the announcement in the announcement thread last night. Ol' girl and I had dinner, then I watched Rockers (don't vex, man), and sent out some emails, and just as I was about finished with the thread, ol' girl raised her head in what must be that squareheaded-bitch style Motown talked about, and said, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING UP SO LATE?"

So, you know, I love you guys, but I live with her, so I shut 'er down. Day beat me to my own announcement. Man, that's brethrenhood!

Seriously though, thank you. Tsega and I appreciate it.

Dissidence Begins Within..

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Thanks for all the support people. This is definitely the beginning of something big and y'all are helping to make it happen.

Major props to Mesh aka Joe Davenport for the Mastering!!
    Major props to Drez and the Kashmere Crew for the serious distribution hook ups!!
    Always props to the new Vanguard Squad addition, Mr. jeigh for letting me touch my first mixer...it's about that time holmes.
    Can't forget Bambouche and his rock solid vision for being such an inspiration for everything including the new site.
    Last of all, big-ups to all the graphics heads on here including Mike2600, Sketch, Marco, Docbeezy, Rehash etc. for everlasting inspiration and motivation.

BIG BOUQUET OF FLOWERS TO RAJ AND SOUL STRUT FOR REAL!!

////

- We are working on getting the 45 into other spots such as Baghat Vinyl and Turntable Lab so we'll keep everyone posted in the announcement section. That might be better shipping for the overseas people.

- Noz, we are definitely working on getting larger shirts in there so stay tuned for that.

peace

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    We will PA(Y)P-Pal. I found your e-mail announcement in my junk mail folder... I had to add you to my "Safe" list.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Your squad is the bomb!

If understand right i can't order it in Europe yet?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Asprin hooked me up with a copy a while back and I'm feeling it. The upright bass and organ samples are $$$ in the bank

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    niceness yo

I hope my mom doesn't find the hidden t-shirt page. Like Ms Damn said about mom walking in during the sex scene of a movie. Weirdness. But you gotta love Herm for being HoLmes with "what do I win?"

[color:white]Did anyone notice the RillyTruffle appreciation page? [/color]

• DAMN you gotta love that label!