Looking for a good pair of Headphones for mixing

IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Looking for a good pair of Headphones for mixing down can sombody help me out? I know this has been up but I need to know what top notch for $100 dollar range or cheaper??? Anyone????

Comments

• typically, you want to avoid headphone mixing at all costs, but i'm sure you have your reasons...that's a tough price point to get a pair of headphones that have a flat enough frequency response and can translate spatial relationships in a mix. the only thing i can think of are the Grado Sr 80 which are $100 typically.

Why do you want to mix on headphones?

• i like the sony 7506's, they are a good flat closed headphone. they don't have the best low end but it's hard to find really good low end responce in headphones. if you move onto a nicer pair of headphones you can always let a singer/rapper use the sonys in the vocal booth or something

• i like the sony 7506's, they are a good flat closed headphone. they don't have the best low end but it's hard to find really good low end responce in headphones. if you move onto a nicer pair of headphones you can always let a singer/rapper use the sonys in the vocal booth or something

i love the 7506's and have two pairs that i use for DJ-ing. however, they are not flat headphones. they augment the bass. compare them to the sennheiser hd 280, and you'll see how truly "unflat" they are. but they are great headphones when you just want something to sound good.

the thing is, if you *must* mix on headphones, you don't want to do so on closed headphones. your mix won't translate to any other speakers, and your balance will be off. sound on sound has an article about headphone mixing in the January issue.

• chasechase 767 Posts

akg k240m

these are my joints, good open style, nice airy sound, if I have to mix with cans, these are my choice. I really hate the closed style, it seems like they really skew the bass in my experiance. Of course I never had REALLY good closed headphones.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

akg k240m

these are my joints, good open style, nice airy sound, if I have to mix with cans, these are my choice. I really hate the closed style, it seems like they really skew the bass in my experiance. Of course I never had REALLY good closed headphones.

= the standard.

Mixing on headphones is tough. Check out Ultrasone headphones as well, as they will tire your ears less and will give you smaller cancer tumors than listening on normal headphones.

Ultrasone USA

• montymonty 420 Posts

akg k240m

the standard reference headphones for better than 30 years

• Thanks yall!!! The thing is my monitors suck too so I was thinking the cheaper way out I guess I gots to fork out the bill... What are some Cheap really good monitors as well??? I don't want to spend over 2 for them... I'm on a budget... But I would like them preamped...

I have those berengers and not that happy with them for some reason...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Cheap and really good monitors usually don't go together, but if the KRK RP8's are in your budget they're pretty sweet. Cheaper than that, I've heard good things about the Event ALP5s but haven't heard them in person.

• Thanks yall!!! The thing is my monitors suck too so I was thinking the cheaper way out I guess I gots to fork out the bill... What are some Cheap really good monitors as well??? I don't want to spend over 2 for them... I'm on a budget... But I would like them preamped...

I have those berengers and not that happy with them for some reason...
    mixing on cheap monitors will be better than mixing on good headphones.

check out the KRK line (as said above)and listen to lots of records on your system that you know well and that are mixed well. you'll get to know your room, and what a perfectly mixed record sounds like on your system, and will better be able to compensate. you might also want to check alesis, but i think KRK is better for your budget.

seriously, listen to lots and lots and lots of albums through your new speakers if you want to get better at mixing. most people don't have a pro studio to mix in, and have to make do with your limitations. good luck

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    I have had the 7506, a few pairs of grado's and now own the sennheiser hd25. I think the hd25 gives me the better results when mixing down my tracks. For pure listening I would say some grados.

the hd25 are twice as much as you wanna spend but every component in them is user replaceable so in the long term you will save. I have met 3 different people that tour with their original pair they had purchased 5, 7, and 8 years ago.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

akg k240m

i have been using them for about a year and i love working with them. i bring them to my recording gigs to do monitoring and they are flat and have a good sound. My shit translates well on them also.