Notebook/Laptop Strut: what's what?

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I need a new notebook because mine is in the process of disintegrating. Mostly, I use it for word processing, but I'd like to be able to do some basic audio editing without the thing freezing up. I don't want to spend any money, but I suppose I have to; can I reasonably keep things around a grand? What do folks think about Dell? The computer magazines seem to think dell offers the best value in notebooks. The HP i'm currently is seriously sucky. OK, tell me what's what.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    LENOVO/IBM
    fuck dell

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    for the things you want to do (office, podcasting, etc), a macbook would be excellent. You can purchase online and qualify for the student discount. It would be wise to keep all your mp3's, jpgs, videos on an external drive.

no viruses, no spyware

if you do prefer pc, then yes lenovo is the way to go for reliability.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I've used PCs all my life, switching to a mac scares the crap out of me. You can convince me next week over a meal...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    for what you want to do, i think you could easily make the switch over and would probably like it. you can also dual boot with windows xp in case you have some application thats windows only or would just rather use windows.

• I love my MacBook. It's snappy and dapper. I run a dual boot with xp for Grand Theft Auto and I use xp in Parrallels for turbo lister. That's it. I bought it for my dildo but I'm yet to do a Windows/OS X dildo comparison. Who knows which operating system, on the same machine, runs my dildo better?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I have a Toshiba Portege M300, it rules.

• Forgot to mention my girl has a MacBook Pro. If you got the cheese, lay it down. It's a fine machine. The graphics chip is nice, and the keyboard has a back light. She runs XP for a college course on it. It's like a fine car but for all practical purposes, a MacBook should be fine.

• I've used PCs all my life, switching to a mac scares the crap out of me. You can convince me next week over a meal...
    so had i until i got a macbook about 4 months ago. i love it. it's a little tough at first to get used to everything, but after a couple weeks you'll be diggin' it.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    LENOVO/IBM
    fuck dell

If you have to get a PC, that's the way to go.

Otherwise get a Macbook. Seriously, they're dirt cheap compared to how damn next level fast they are. And When dual-core is taken advantage of in years to come they will only get faster. Highly reccomended.

• for the things you want to do (office, podcasting, etc), a macbook would be excellent. You can purchase online and qualify for the student discount. It would be wise to keep all your mp3's, jpgs, videos on an external drive.

no viruses, no spyware

• Actually, Dell's aren't bad if you're looking for a cheap laptop. You can get some really cheap, well-configured laptops with the right Dell coupon code. The Thinkpads and Macbooks are much nicer, but they do cost more. The Macbooks are actually a pretty good deal if you're in the market for a higher-end laptop.

• One factor that pushed me towards the MacBook Pro (besides the obvious) was size. I upgraded from an iBook and actually found the MacBook a bit too small. Not unreasonable, or anything, but I just found myself being much more comfortable with the size of the Pro for typing (of which I do quite a bit for grad school).

I would suggest, if you are considering a Mac (you won't regret it I promise), to hit up the Mac store and try out the machines for a while. Of course, don't temp yourself into spending more than you want to spend. Buuuuut ... make sure you buy something you'll be happy with.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I recently copped an HP dv9000 with the dual core joint and 2gigs of memory. it's way faster than my old shitty comp, only lags when accessing my desktops busted ass hard drive. such a step up from my old desktop which would take a shit if I had photoshop and dreamweaver going for some reason. The thing doesn't get hot at all either. when I get a lot of shit going the fan might kick into high gear but it's never going to melt shit on me.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    LENOVO/IBM
    fuck dell

If you have to get a PC, that's the way to go.

Otherwise get a Macbook. Seriously, they're dirt cheap compared to how damn next level fast they are. And When dual-core is taken advantage of in years to come they will only get faster. Highly reccomended.

Wow, You are completly out of your mind. You calling a macbook cheap is like me saying: Listen up everybody sell your car, and invest in twinkies!!! TRUST ME SON!!!

Dual-core is a joke. I got 2 computers that won't take advantage of it until the future. In fact don't listen to me. Spend 2 g's on a mac and i'll spend 700 on a pc.

Averatec 7100

Danno, check out this Averatec joint. I'm typing from one as I speak.

- spidey

• Wow, I got computers that won't take advantage of it until the future.

• Spend 2 g's on a mac and i'll spend 700 on a pc.

MacBooks start at $1049usd with a student discount which is packed with usefull software. He could do all he mentioned, out the box.

Cool, meanwhile so can I.

and with the extra 350 bucks difference, i could buy a wii? and 100 bucks on blow.

i gotta stay fly-y-y-y-y-y-y-y

- spidey

actually now that I looked online you can find a refurbished one for about $600 so with the difference.

I could get

#1 A night with Julia Roberts. $300

-

#2 Blow $98.50

#3 Clipse CD $1.50

#4 Snacks $50.00

- spidey

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    If you have the coin, go Lenovo. We have a few thousand of these on the fleet and the failure rate is very low for such kit. They DO NOT offer the most bang per buck, but they do turn up for work every day. And they are well made. These are lugged around by monkeys all day and stand up to it.

The Macs look nice, but being DOS/Windows for years, I can't get my head around the interface.

• #1 A night with Julia Roberts. $300

Which viruses are you gonna deal with first, the ones on your PC or the ones Julia gives you?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    you dont get viruses if you are experienced and know what your doing.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

A vote for HP.. I have used most all brands of notebooks.. Dell has fallen off.
    My new HP is well built, well thought out, powerful, and pretty cheap.
    I also reccomend if you go PC to get a notebook with an AMD processor and pay attention to the hard drive speed.. some notebooks still use 5400 RPM drives.. sluggish compared to 7200 RPM drives.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Why AMD over Intel?

• you dont get viruses if you are experienced and know what your doing.

or if you use a Mac

Actually, I'm not some sort of anti-Windows zealot. However, I do strongly believe that OS X, being Unix based, is a much more robust operating system and I simply prefer the intuitive design. However, you do get a lot of bang for your buck out of a Windows machine. If you can get around the virus/spyware thing, more power to you. I just find that the traditional approaches that I'm familiar with (i.e. virus detection software) slow down your PC about as much as the viruses themselves.

• Why AMD over Intel?

I'm generally an AMD fan, but I'd go with Intel. Intel has the performance crown over AMD on the current crop of dual-core processors, at least. I think they run cooler than AMD also.

or if you use a Mac

Actually, I'm not some sort of anti-Windows zealot. However, I do strongly believe that OS X, being Unix based, is a much more robust operating system and I simply prefer the intuitive design. However, you do get a lot of bang for your buck out of a Windows machine. If you can get around the virus/spyware thing, more power to you. I just find that the traditional approaches that I'm familiar with (i.e. virus detection software) slow down your PC about as much as the viruses themselves.

Oh yeah, well i strongly believe pc's smell better then macs. If you can get around the smell, hey more power to you.

I'm only ribbing you man.. but why are you such a mac nerd?

- spidey

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    http://slickdeals.net/

860 for kinda nice inspiron

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I do strongly believe that OS X, being Unix based, is a much more robust operating system

XP is Unix based.

or if you use a Mac

Mac's are less susceptible to viruses because no one (not many people) make viruses for macs. i hate that argument. one should be aware that if you do the duo boot think ala mac, you are effectively 100% succeptible to every single virus imaginable.

that said. ill like macs because they are no hassle and i am willing to pay the extra do to have a reliable machine that does more things that i would ever want out the box.

my

that said. ill like macs because they are no hassle and i am willing to pay the extra do to have a reliable machine that does more things that i would ever want out the box.

well in my case.. the little extra for an equivalent mac would be about 2 g's..

Please to sit down.

- spidey

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    dont know what the specs are on the Averatec 7100, but this is a pretty solid deal.

here

maxing the ram would cost you an extra $100.