Mongo Santamaria smear campaign

awallawall 673 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
anyone ever seen one of these around? "One had not to judge him by the pounding sound he makes on his insturment, but by his low, horrifying, scandalous behavior."

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    pap smear campaign?

saying if this is for realz

• I've seen that here on soulstrut before. Different flier with basically the same message.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I saw one of those as far back as 1996 and have been curious ever since. Anybody know the deal?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Slapping skins in more than one way

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    "Fidel Castro lover"

AY YI YO

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    crazy...

none of these girls look abused

• That's pretty crazy...

Someone's got an ax to grind...

One thing that seems kinda funny is the list at the bottom of the flyer, which includes "coke head", "communist", and "Fidel Castro lover". Do those things contribute to making him a "pig"? This person seems to really hate Mongo, eh?

Where did this ad originally appear?

Peace...
    FNM

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts

• Damn man... glad to see someone finally noticed!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Yeah, what is that from?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    anyone ever seen one of these around?

"One had not to judge him by the pounding sound he makes on his insturment, but by his low, horrifying, scandalous behavior."

Hey,

I'd be curious to know how many people (uncertain of which way Mongo's door swung) responded to that ad by admitting that he burnt them. That's wild!!!! Maybe they started a "Groupies Burnt by Mongo Santamaria Club" in his honor.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Someone should send a SASE to the addy and see if you get a response.

• Someone should send a SASE to the addy and see if you get a response.

It's funny i did that about 4-5 months ago when this was posted the last time around. i posted the response which was a two page hand written and incredibly hard to read letter, but can't find the post. the letter is at home and i will retype it tomorrow. it's pretty sincere and just sounds like the lady was burned by homeboy saying how skeevy he was...

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    you can say what you want about anyone, but not my MONGO!!!!!!

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Someone should send a SASE to the addy and see if you get a response.

It's funny i did that about 4-5 months ago when this was posted the last time around. i posted the response which was a two page hand written and incredibly hard to read letter, but can't find the post. the letter is at home and i will retype it tomorrow. it's pretty sincere and just sounds like the lady was burned by homeboy saying how skeevy he was...

ha no shit? Must have missed that one. Seems sad and funny

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    File this under "whatever". Gee you dumb gropie, you slept with a musician and your suprised he had and STD and only wanted sex. Duh!!!!!!! "Here's you sign"

I don't know why people think stars are somehow perfect. If anything you can count on them being worse cuz they are alloed to get away with everything. Even the courts usually let them off on stuff that most of us would get locked up for.

Still want to see the hand written responce!

• Not to mention that Mongo is like 83 years old....

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    File this under "whatever". Gee you dumb gropie, you slept with a musician and your suprised he had and STD and only wanted sex. Duh!!!!!!! "Here's you sign"

I don't know why people think stars are somehow perfect. If anything you can count on them being worse cuz they are alloed to get away with everything. Even the courts usually let them off on stuff that most of us would get locked up for.

Still want to see the hand written responce!
    A smut is a smut is a smut...

• :raerface:

• awallawall 673 Posts

Where did this ad originally appear?

I got it from the found flyers part of the "outsiders" section on ubu.com

more gold:

the real question is where is your avatar from?!?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

i wanna know too

• the real question is where is your avatar from?!?

i wanna know too

I wish I knew where it came from... I'm guessing it was a Japanese TV commercial or some shit... Lord knows what the ad was hawking though... Probably some kind of candy, or a cell phone with a good camera built-in... I'm leaning towards the camera idea... like, you know never know when that perfect shot is gonna pop up.

Anyhow... where did I get it? Stealthily stolen from someone else's avatar, on a message board far far away from Soul Strut.

Peace...
    FNM

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

i wanna know too

I wish I knew where it came from... I'm guessing it was a Japanese TV commercial or some shit... Lord knows what the ad was hawking though... Probably some kind of candy, or a cell phone with a good camera built-in... I'm leaning towards the camera idea... like, you know never know when that perfect shot is gonna pop up.

Anyhow... where did I get it? Stealthily stolen from someone else's avatar, on a message board far far away from Soul Strut.

Peace...
    FNM

This came up when this avatar was first used on here. I'm totally hazy but it was based on some sort of Japaneese fairy tale. Something about the animal being very firtile

• The animal is a tanuki. Remember tanuki Mario? It's a racoon dog, but in Japan, tanukis are believed to be magical shapeshifters, that get f**ked up on sake, and have huge nuts. Lots of izakayas and japanese bars restaurants have a big-ass tanuki statue out front. Alway's with a straw hat hanging around his neck, sake flask in hand, and nuts dragging on the ground.

Wikipedia:

In Japanese standard dialect, the Raccoon Dog is known as tanuki. Tanuki are commonly seen near villages in rural areas. They are wild animals that have been part of Japanese myth since ancient times. The mythical tanuki is reputed to be mischievous and jolly, a master of disguise and shapeshifting, but somewhat gullible and absent-minded.

Tanukis in folklore

The current humorous image of tanuki is thought to have been developed during the Kamakura era and onwards. During the Edo era, its stomach and testicles became huge to the point that the stomach started to double as a drum. However during the Kamakura and Muromachi eras, some stories began to include man-eating tanuki, and the image became that of a scarier monster. The otogizōshi story of "Kachi-kachi Yama" features a tanuki that clubs an old lady to death and serves her to her unknowing husband as "old lady soup".

Other stories report tanuki as being harmless and productive members of society. Several shrines have stories of past priests who were tanukis in disguise. Shapeshifting tanuki are sometimes believed to be a transformation of the souls of household goods that were used for one hundred years or more.

A popular tale known as Bunbuku chagama is about a tanuki who fooled a monk by transforming into a tea-kettle. Another is about a tanuki who was fooling a hunter by disguising his arms as tree boughs, until he spread both arms at the same time and fell off the tree. Traditional belief is that to transform itself, a tanuki has to put a green leaf on its head.

Gold association

In metal sculpturing, tanuki skin were often used for thinning gold. As a result, tanuki sculptures were marketed as front yard decoration and good luck charm for bringing in prosperity [kin (gold) + tama (ball) = kintama (testicles), hence the large testicles]. Tanuki became associated with metal mines and metal craftwork.

Tanuki today

Statues of tanuki disguised in human form can be found outside many Japanese temples and restaurants. The characteristics of these statues include a flat cone-shaped hat, a big protruding belly and two big drum-like testicles touching the ground. According to the legends, the inflated belly and testicles are used as drums to scare wayfarers with noise: this is called tanuki tsuzumi and is a popular theme in netsuke and other arts, but in the statues it also means a charm of plenty and fertility.

Mario in his Tanooki SuitTanuki appear in modern art forms as well. In Super Mario Bros. 3, Mario has the ability to change into a tanuki by using a power-up called the 'Tanooki Suit'. While wearing the Tanooki Suit, Mario gains the ability to turn into a statue. Also, when Mario transforms into the similar Raccoon Mario, he uses a green leaf (Red in the Super Mario All-Stars version) to complete the shapeshifting, like the tanuki of legend. In the video game Animal Crossing, the store owner is a bipedal talking raccoon named "Tom Nook", which is a play on the word tanuki. In Studio Ghibli's film Pom Poko the shapeshifting tanuki are fighting construction workers, who are destroying their habitat, with use of their illusion powers.

In nature, the tanuki faces problems similar to those which other wild animals also face. Its population has declined in recent years due to hunting, growth of urban areas, an increase of animals associated with human civilization such as pets and abandoned animals, and diseases that may be transmitted between them.

Here's some pics:

Martha, wouldja look at these nuts?! Their huge! I'mma take a picture to show Bobby...

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I totally missed this controversy on the internets...These flyers were circulated around the University of Cincinnati in April. (The statistics are incorrect, by the way)

• I totally missed this controversy on the internets...These flyers were circulated around the University of Cincinnati in April. (The statistics are incorrect, by the way)

Aside from the not so thinly veiled Nazi propaganda, I'm curious as to how "Doggy Steve" got to Finland (of all places...)

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    WTF!?

Doggy Steve was in the news in Finland back in late 1990's. His picture was all over the papers - before he was even found guilty.

--

LONDON, Aug 8 (PANOS) - The recent convictions of HIV-positive men in Finland and Cyprus for intentionally infecting their partners with the AIDS virus -- with similar legislation planned in Britain -- have fuelled concern that they will only further stigmatise people with HIV/AIDS.

A Finnish court sentenced 35-year-old Steven Thomas -- a resident of Finland -- to 14 years in prison in July and ordered him to pay damages of between 63,000 and 73,000 dollars to each of five women he infected with the virus.

The case has attracted enormous publicity in the West, and could have an influence on similar cases in other countries where the AIDS epidemic is far more advanced than in Finland, health and legal experts say.

There have been only 201 recorded deaths from AIDS in Finland and 600 infected people. In comparison, rates of HIV infection in neighbouring Sweden alone are seven times higher. And legal cases similar to Thomas' are cropping up in developing countries like Zimbabwe and Cyprus.

... http://www.aegis.com/news/panos/1997/PS970801.html