November Finds (West African Record Hunt Pt.3)

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Here's some of the stuff that I found on my trips to Cotonou and Freetown last month. A new mix is in the works but will probably take a few weeks until it ends up online, this is due to the very slow and unreliable internet connections available here in Africa. Large files like mp3s must be sent away on CDR via airmail, so friends with better connections can upload them for me.Some LP covers: Only a few of the 45s that I found: Some Pic Sleeve 45s: Record Agent Meansh Paulin.Kpodo Abel refueling his moped at one of Cotonou's typical black market gas stationsThe crossdressing owner of one of the dozends of little stores I was visiting.My new ultrasonic bath with clockwork based rotating device... works wonders on dirtcaked 45s.My new custom made redwood/calfskin 45 case.

Comments

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Damn.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

My new custom made redwood/calfskin 45 case.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    if there was a graemlin that expressed the next 10 levels after 'next level' i would place that here.

also that kid in the chanclas needs to be used in some sort of 'hustlin' graemlin.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

the 45 box looks great!

• Man.

Africa next.

- J

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    What a beatiful haul.

How you doing Frank?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    What a beatiful haul.

How you doing Frank?

Quite well, Olivier. Thank you!
    Can't really complain except that we're having car trouble and it seems impossible to find the spare part we need...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    keep the lock on the box.
    looks like fun, frank.
    possibility i may be in the southern part of the continent in june. fingers crossed w/ funding.
    if so, i will organize a voyage north to dakar to visit my sis and from there a visit to you (provided you'll have me & you're still there....)

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Ari, what time are you going to be in Guinea?
    I'd love to have you over but I'll be in NYC early in June and afterwards in Berlin, returning to Guinea early in July... do you know that June to September is the anual rainy season with ridiculous downpours that wash away streets and shit? I don't think it's a good idea to visit the region at this time. Rainfall is 4 meter per year which means that a 4 meter deep pool would completly fill up within the 4 months of rainy season! Germany, where it already rains plenty has about 0.8 meter of rain/year.

• indyindy 58 Posts
    Hi,

anyone got some recommedations for Kenyan FUNK / SOUL / Jazz / etc. ???

i alredy know about this ASIKO ROCK GROUP Frank dug up recently.

What else is good ???

what are the spots in Nairobi not to miss ?

THanx four your help

peace

indy

• Awesome pictures man!!looking forward to see some more

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    What a beatiful haul.

How you doing Frank?

Quite well, Olivier. Thank you!
    Can't really complain except that we're having car trouble and it seems impossible to find the spare part we need...

Should have got a Peugot ... lol, ships of the desert and you can mend them with sticks and chewing gum . On another technical front, though, I'm guessing you've got the only record cleaner in sub-Saharan Africa.
    Good to hear that life's agreeing with you, mate. Love seeing those records and I really can't wait for the next installment of your African Vinyl Odyssey. Take care, Olivier.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Ari, what time are you going to be in Guinea?
    I'd love to have you over but I'll be in NYC early in June and afterwards in Berlin, returning to Guinea early in July... do you know that June to September is the anual rainy season with ridiculous downpours that wash away streets and shit? I don't think it's a good idea to visit the region at this time. Rainfall is 4 meter per year which means that a 4 meter deep pool would completly fill up within the 4 months of rainy season! Germany, where it already rains plenty has about 0.8 meter of rain/year.

Yikes!

no definite plans. i have a possibility for some partial summer funding to return to south africa this summer. nothing set in stone but i'm optimistic. i have an interview on wednesday about this.

regardless, if it were to pan out i would consider travelling a bit (something i didn't do the first time around- i.e. 6 years ago). so it would be sometime between late May and late August- primetime for the rains. so maybe better to meet you halfway!!!

we'll keep in touch.
    in the meantime, i can give you my address through PMs for where to send the gnonnas pedros

peace.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Not to sully this conversation with any mention of breaks, but, uh...there's a nice one on that CK Mann.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

My new ultrasonic bath with clockwork based rotating device... works wonders on dirtcaked 45s.

I've never seen anything like that. How much did it cost you to make?

• always enjoy peering at some of the sikness you acquire!

A new mix is in the works but will probably take a few weeks until it ends up online, this is due to the very slow and unreliable internet connections available here in Africa.

thanks for puttin up these incredible mixes of music id othewise have no way of ever hearing!

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    Frank,

you are man! i love how you can see the lush vegetation in the 45s relection.

hows the christy esson?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

My new ultrasonic bath with clockwork based rotating device... works wonders on dirtcaked 45s.

I've never seen anything like that. How much did it cost you to make?

the ultrasonic bath itself was around $150 if I remember correctly... the clockwork is from a chinese kitchen clock that cost me $5 on the lokal market and the rest are some "Fischertechnik" toys. "Fischertechnik" is what german geeks play with after loosing interest in Lego and before finding interest in girls or starting to collect records... the few pieces in use here I found on eBay for a few bucks.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

we'll keep in touch.
    in the meantime, i can give you my address through PMs

Ari, my PMs stopped working a while ago, don' know why...

please contact me at
    soulpusher"at"soulexplosion.de

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Frank,

you are man! i love how you can see the lush vegetation in the 45s relection.

hows the christy esson?

The Christy Essien is probably a bit too Disco for me... she's backed by BLO on this one and they're real tight on this one. We'll see, trouble with these african records is that they tend to grow on you and things keep moving from the sale/trade pile to the keep pile...

• Looking forward to future mixes Frank, loved the last ones! Glad all is well with you.

PS I like your avatar