Rap records that have transcended Hip Hop

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
The "Message Appreciation" post got me to thinking... what rap records have transcended Hip Hop in their significance? "The Message" clearly is one... other old school choices would be, of course, The Sugar Hill Gang's "Rapper's Delight" and Bam's "Planet Rock". As you go through rap history I can think of other examples, but I'll just chill and let y'all add on if you so desire. What's the most recent record that you'd say has transcended Hip Hop? Has there even been any in recent history? Thoughts, plaese.

Comments

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Flash & Melle Mel - White Lines - except nowadays theres less of the 'Dont do it'......... 'Dont do it' wasn't part of the original title anyway.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Hey Ya & Big Pimpin.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    You mean 'real hiphop' that unintentionally crossed over to the mainstream ? Like Fugees & Cypress Hill ?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

I walked into a bar at a Marriot hotel in Maryland when this song was big and saw a room full of middle aged white people dancin' and singin' the chorus! "It takes two to make a thing go right." That had me laughin'!

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    by transcended, do you mean crossed over and became hugely successfull? that's easy. OPP, Bust A Move, The Choice is Yours etc.

on the other hand, to me transcended means becoming just good music above and beyond any sort of genre (e.g., A Love Supreme, What's Going On). that takes time and therefore, new music cannot really qualify.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    The "Message Appreciation" post got me to thinking... what rap records have transcended Hip Hop in their significance? "The Message" clearly is one... other old school choices would be, of course, The Sugar Hill Gang's "Rapper's Delight" and Bam's "Planet Rock". As you go through rap history I can think of other examples, but I'll just chill and let y'all add on if you so desire. What's the most recent record that you'd say has transcended Hip Hop? Has there even been any in recent history? Thoughts, plaese.

If by transcend you mean 'changed hiphop as it was', then:

Me Myself & I and the whole 3ft high and rising LP did.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts

i'll raise you

Cool and quiet, but quick to start up a riot

I write the rhyme, bums assist to bite it

I wear no gold around my neck just black medallions

And sold the home of true black stallions

I don't care for fair 'cause fair-fair's meat

Out of 10 ways of dying, the first might cheat

I'm harder than the hardest, hardest, hard can get

Africa and I, while Sammy B's on the set

I kick the rhyme to the girl and she became my pet

I lend some sucker some juice and now he's in debt

The sucker said he wasn't scared but still in all he sweat

A poor man became rich because some meeky bet

My brother's searching high and low, they'll looking for me

Where will they find me, in the J-U-N-G-L-E

i'll raise you

And:

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    on the other hand, to me transcended means becoming just good music above and beyond any sort of genre (e.g., A Love Supreme, What's Going On). that takes time and therefore, new music cannot really qualify.

Pretty sure this is what he means here... tunes that ANYONE would hold up as classics, regardless of whether they're a rap fan or not

"Paid in Full" would qualify I'd say

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Can you elaboraet on what you maent when you said 'transcend' please mang?

Did you mean hip hop is still as good as it was back in the days /or/ hip hop without which we wouldn't be where we are today /or/ hip hop that is higher regarded today than what it was when it came out /or/ somethin else..

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    transcended Hip Hop in their significance

We're not talking about crossovers - I mean, what was the "significance" of hey ya? great pop record? I don't think that's what's meant here. When you say transcending hip-hop, I guess that means the kind of song that would show up on the non-hip-hop layperson's radar over the past 30 years.

I would say, "Fight The Power" - this record reached a huge audience through "Do The Right Thing", way beyond hip-hop, and had the significance of showing that side of hip-hop that was serious, intellectually challenging, revolutionary both sonically and lyrically to those people, who had never heard Public Enemy before.

I think OutKast as a group definitely, but what was their most "significant" song (NOT their biggest seller necessarily)? "get up, get out"? "rosa parks"? I'm trying to think of what defined them as a conscious group with depth. "ms jackson"?

I think, as far as Jay-Z goes, "Izzo" was pretty significant. He encapsulated (no pun instended) his basic points as an artist - his struggle, his motives, his rewards - as well as dropping some jewels on early exploitation of rappers. For a nationwide smash, that's pretty significant.

Definitely "Choice Is Yours", when coupled with the video.

NWA, "Fuck The Police", "Express Yourself"... Cube "It Was A Good Day".

Can you elaboraet on what you maent when you said 'transcend' please mang?

transcend :

exceed or excel

exceed: go beyond; "Their loyalty exceeds their national bonds"

exceed: go beyond; "She exceeded our expectations"; "She topped her performance of last year"

so were looking for records that 'changed the game'; made hiphop better or changed it direction.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Most people I know, except maybe my parents and their friends, own It Takes A Nation???no matter what their musical taste is.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I mean, what was the "significance" of hey ya?

It is catnip for white people?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

hilarity
    now i have to explain to the (white) person next to me why i'm laughing.

hilarity

I don't think I can take credit for that one; somebody else--possibly my girlfriend--is the originator.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

hilarity

I don't think I can take credit for that one; somebody else--possibly my girlfriend--is the originator.

I always hated that song until I saw a room full of college girls dancing to it on repeat. Then I REALLY hated it.

Good call on the 'catnip' reference. I love it.

I don't think of Hey Ya as a rap song...

I don't think of Hey Ya as a rap song...

I don't think anybody does. Except Oliver (No, he didn't...)

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

I can't take credit for it, either. It sounds like something Matt or Andy would say.

This was a big album for me and Jadakiss in our respective "journeys" as a consumers of hip hop:

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Just to name a few... Also LL, Eric. B, Run DMC....

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    By "transcended" I meant songs that went beyond the realm of just being a hot song for hip hop heads to bounce to. Stuff that had an effect on music as a whole, stuff that "changed the game", stuff that was relevant to the larger society outside of the hip hop culture in one way or another.
    "Rappers Delight" is an obvious one- it introduced rap to the world and I would guess that if Sugar Hill had kept accurate books it would be the highest selling rap single ever. "The Message" because it was the first true look at the realities of ghetto life ever put on wax (there were, of course, other songs in other genres before this that dealt with ghetto life, but it's almost impossible for a singer give as much explicit detail as a rapper can) and it inspired a lot of music that came after it in hip hop as well as other forms of music. "Planet Rock" gave birth to electro, house, techno, etc. etc. NWA's "F--- tha Police" (the whole "Straight Out Of Compton" lp but that song in particular) has influenced so much of today's music... after that record it was pretty much open season to say whatever the f--- you want to, any WAY you f---in' want to! When I hear Gwen Stefani cursin' all over the radio and my little 6 year old girl singing "Oooo, this my shh, this my shh", in someway I feel compelled to thank NWA for this change in what is now considered to be acceptable.

So, basically, that's what I was talking about with this thread. But feel free to throw your own thoughts out there, it's all good. It's all about conversatin' on it, mane!

• ^ bad joke

Here's some obvious ones.. but anything that fits your description is going to be obvious, right?

agreed on

RAISING HELL
    ENTER THE 36 CHAMBERS
    THE CHRONIC

and I'll add

LICENSE TO ILL
    early LL
    DOGGYSTYLE
    READY TO DIE

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts

• saulgravysaulgravy 112 Posts
    i guess an obvious answer is Eminem's debut. Atmosphere has had a pretty big impact, as well.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Atmosphere has had a pretty big impact, as well.

Okay... well, judging by that answer (as well as a few of the others) I don't know if folls are getting what I meant by transcending. Maybe you are, though. It's "saulgravy" either way, mane! Anybody feelin' like there's a Mike Jones or Chingo Bling song that has transcended hip hop? Let it be known, holmes!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Phill,

Here are some rap records that I think transcended hip-hop:

-"Self-Destruction"-Stop the Violence Movement.

-"One Love"-Whodini.

-"Umi Says"-Mos Def.

-"Can You Feel It"-Original Concept.

-"Rebirth of Slick"-Digable Planets.

-I cosign on a number of the previous ones such as P.E., Beastie Boys, and other landmark groups (not the crossover hit makers).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

-"Umi Says"-Mos Def.

By being in a Nike commercial?