Decent Record Shops in Los Angeles???????????????

sloppywhitesloppywhite 230 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
I'm going out to LA in a couple of days (first time) and was wondering what are some of the better shops to hit.Help...

Comments

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Arons is my favorite. On Santa Monica and Highland.

Record Surplus is great too. On pico and something.

• Thanks, Sun! Is the Hollywood Aomeba store a long drive? Or even worth it?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Thanks, Sun! Is the Hollywood Aomeba store a long drive? Or even worth it?

its on sunset real close to where aarons is. Definitely worth a look.

• Thanks, Yo!

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    For the pricey raers, go to Atomic in the Valley.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    LA probably is the best record shopping city in the world. Volume and variety. The aformentioned are all good digging spots. If you have some specific needs maybe you will get more answers. There are like 30 stores here. If cash is not an issue Atomic in Burbank is a must.

• My tastes pretty much go across the board. Funk, Soul, Jazz, Rock, weird shit, Instructional records. But Hip Hop pre-95 is my thing. Is there one specific shop that could satisfy my golden era needs?

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    But Hip Hop pre-95 is my thing.

Fatbeats on Melrose has some reissues.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    My tastes pretty much go across the board. Funk, Soul, Jazz, Rock, weird shit, Instructional records. But Hip Hop pre-95 is my thing. Is there one specific shop that could satisfy my golden era needs?

Arons & Amoeba are your best bests then, both shops have some really good used buyers on the hip-hop and both shops always seem to have a ton of quality. they also both stock a great deal of reissues (more so than

Fatbeats I think)

Theres also Record Surplus on Pico out in Santa Monica but its fairly weak in there. they do have a large .99 cent section though (the entire 2nd floor). sometimes you could pull a gem from out of there. Hit me on the PM when your trip gets closer and I'll tell you some of the spots I don't want to disclose in public

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I have yet to come across a decent 12" spot around...Aaron's gets some dope things in every now and then but is unpredictable. It's still your best bet for the hip hop though.

Amoeba's got the whole bottom row of the hip hop section dedicated to used stuff but it's mostly current cutouts.

Atomic is definitely pricy but worth it...

Have yet to hit up Record Surplus...next on my list...let me know if you're looking for someone to roll down there with

Bagatel in Long Beach could yield some decent things but takes time to go through the boxes of stuff

Rhino is so/so...good place for odd stuff

• unkarufusunkarufus 104 Posts
    But Hip Hop pre-95 is my thing. Is there one specific shop that could satisfy my golden era needs?

Uponshop 3910 Sunset Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90029 (323) 667-2011
    This used to be called Strictly Grooves back in the day. Go here if you have more money than time to gamble. You might find golden age records cheaper elsewhere but not in quantity.

Beat Market used to have golden age stuff too until they shut down. Record Recycler in Torrance might have some goodies but dude sells on e-bay too. The best thing to do is hit up private dealers.

• Damn, looks like I got to find time to hit all these spots. Thanks for the info!

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts

Bagatel in Long Beach could yield some decent things but takes time to go through the boxes of stuff

prolly your best bet as far as la area shops go, steve prolly the coolest cat around imo, dudes done a lot for me over the years & his 12's are deeeep...
    also, once 33third shop opens LA will finally have a solid store...

do not waste your time on "as the record turns" i think you wanna dig not listen to fables...

good luck