Marvin Whoremonger (~Listen to the Hype~)

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited April 2016 in Record Collecting
This 2LP private has been melting my face at the code red level for a minute now. Youthful carnal influenced funk with some mooged out vibes from Sin City.

You can almost smell the unprotected sex.

I give you the option of listening and from there either swooning on it or hating.Enjoy.

Please Login To See Premium Content

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

"I'M LOOKING FOR SUGARECORDS LEVEL HATTING. HELLO, JESUS? OR IS IT SHUGA? PROTECT ME!" [/b]

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    This record is charming.

• Yeah I dig it too. Better than expected!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I snatched this up on waxid*rmists a while back (you posted it, no?)
    It was on heavy rotation for a while and I think it's time to give this some more burn.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    So did you get it from Rodney???

I'm gonna be up in Monty form Dec. 7th - 10th, we should do some sushe, Nate. page me.

• man, been after this record for a LONG time, and it never seems to surface here in Sin City...

...anyone out there who wants to sell or trade this, hit me up - got good trades and/or $$$ waiting - help me fill this huge hole in my local/Vegas collection!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    there was a guy at the flea market in brooklyn with a copy priced at only $600.
    who brings $600 records to the flea market? that i cannot say.
    if you are so inclined to spend $500 or so... i'm sure i can put you in touch.

record was recorded in Vegas but i believe there was a Detroit connection there somewhere as well as links to Lu-Pine (although i know Lu-pine did some ltd. Vegas productions) which are made evident if one digs deep enough.

• Yeah, I don't think those LuPine/Flick 45s with the Vegas address on them were actually Vegas groups. Apparently Robert West (label owner) put out those recordings when he relocated Vegas. Tough to tell, and the transient nature of this whistle stop town makes if difficult to put the pieces together sometimes.

Thanks for the info. I still want the record regardless, though not quite sure i wanna pay those "flea market" prices...

On the LP they talk about the studio musicians who played on the LP, but doesn't mention them by name. Anybody know who they are?

• I don't know the musicians involved, but as with nearly every Las Vegas soul release, Cholly Williams produced.

These lyrics still kill me:

"This party's over
    So get out of the pad
    Get these hooker off my couch
    And go to someone else's house
    And orgy on out."

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Pretty Illy. I haven't seen it in the field either. Studio musicians in Las Vegas? hmm.. We have plenty of musicians who pass through, and plenty of old studios. But I haven't heard of Blacklight, I can ask a few of my studio buddies, but without the record searching is semi pointless. Unless I could get some higher quality scans.

- spidey

I don't know the musicians involved, but as with nearly every Las Vegas soul release, Cholly Williams produced.

These lyrics still kill me:

"This party's over
    So get out of the pad
    Get these hooker off my couch
    And go to someone else's house
    And orgy on out."

Is this Buster William's Father or another guy who goes by Cholly?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

bizzo on the buzza.
    to the best of my knowledge the answer is yes.

• Is this Buster William's Father or another guy who goes by Cholly?

Actually, I don't think this Williams is related to the bassist.
    The Williams family that Buster represented was from New Jersey, while Cholly seems to have populated the Los Angeles and Las Vegas scenes from the late '1950s onward.

I could be totally wrong.

Actually, I don't think this Williams is related to the bassist.
    The Williams family that Buster represented was from New Jersey, while Cholly seems to have populated the Los Angeles and Las Vegas scenes from the late '1950s onward.

I could be totally wrong.

I guess orgy on out then.

Also, isn't Mark III just a back up band to Marvin?

Haven't they put out a bunch of 45's on the same label?

• "Marvin Whoremonger" is the name of the album.
    After you wrap your head around the record, you realize it's a concept of sorts, talking about this fictitious Whoremonger dude.
    The actual group is the Mark III and contains a guy named Marvin, but that is neither here nor there.
    I have never seen a 45 by the band, or anything else on Blacklight.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    there was a guy at the flea market in brooklyn with a copy priced at only $600.

record was recorded in Vegas but i believe there was a Detroit connection there somewhere as well as links to Lu-Pine (although i know Lu-pine did some ltd. Vegas productions) which are made evident if one digs deep enough.

Ha, must be Fall blowout time because it was $700 a couple of months ago. Super clean tho, I fondled it while he wasn't looking. Then someone told me it was Psych and I rolled my eyes and thought it must be a terd. Now I hear it comes with the aroma of BBQ sauce I am intrigued.

• there was a guy at the flea market in brooklyn with a copy priced at only $600.

RODNEY!!

i told him to hold onto that record and never sell.... guess the bills make it harder to appreciate rare funk lp's. but this is a DOUBLE lp. fuuuuccckkkk

this has got to be top ten hardest funk lp's.

• thanks for posting audio nate!

i remember a highlight of the record being "sex in motion" -

though another obvious highlight is having the complete instrumental mixes to everysong as well.

good score, rodney had turned many down before finally cracking and selling it.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    this has got to be top ten hardest funk lp's.

Eh, it sounds alright. Soulstrut factor bringing the price up?

- spidey

• the aroma of BBQ sauce

Soundfile's expired, can anyone do me a favour and upload one again?

• this has got to be top ten hardest funk lp's.

Eh, it sounds alright. Soulstrut factor bringing the price up?

- spidey

soulstrut factor really only exists for records like eddie kendricks, stuff on atco, or ecm.

there is no price on whoremonger. i know of three copies that have sold in the last 5 years, anyone else seen this or heard of it selling?

1st two were on ebay, one went to a friend who very very wisley copped for around $375. next went for $500. then rodney's copy was sold at the flea market in nyc. he was asking 600 or 700. next one ..... who knows.

• can you repost link? I'd really like to hear this...it has...expired

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    yes a re-up would be fanfukintastik!

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    awesome.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    awesome.

• thanks for posting. people need to be making more loosely-themed concept albums about getting fucked up and doing wrong shit.