hey mopey pants..dont release any more records

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I was at the club last night and noticed a poster for some sad sack dipshit playing there soon...said poster had a picture of whom I assumed is the artist holding his head in hands as if he was sobbing. fucking pathetic. Rock music is supposed to make you feel better, supposed to make you forget your shitty life and your troubles, you are supposed to feel better after you listen to it...you arent supposed to feel bad after you hear/see it. where is the rock that makes ya feel better, that makes wanna flip off everything you hate, makes ya wanna get fucked up? I am sick of reflective, emo-ass bands and their sensitive emotions and their sad ass songs...go away, please...for the sake of good music....please.

Comments

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Different Strokes for different folks.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I am sick of reflective, emo-ass bands and their sensitive emotions and their sad ass songs...go away, please...for the sake of good music....please.

LOL!

co-sign...

I think a certain amount of grownassedness may be involved here... cuz its mostly folks, say, 25 and under who make and appreciate this shit...

And I'm not trying to say there aren't great sad records either, I'm assuming Hook_Up could appreciate Nick Drake or whatever... but all these pathetic emo/indie guys with their tight clothes living at mommy's and whining constantly about how bored they are makes me want to give them something to actually be sad about...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    yeah, I like Nick, he was talented...and truly troubled unfortunatley...not a privileged dipshit in a thrift store t-shirt.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I am sick of reflective, emo-ass bands and their sensitive emotions and their sad ass songs...go away, please...for the sake of good music....please.

LOL!

co-sign...

I think a certain amount of grownassedness may be involved here... cuz its mostly folks, say, 25 and under who make and appreciate this shit...

And I'm not trying to say there aren't great sad records either, I'm assuming Hook_Up could appreciate Nick Drake or whatever... but all these pathetic emo/indie guys with their tight clothes living at mommy's and whining constantly about how bored they are makes me want to give them something to actually be sad about...

No doubt. There's a not-so-fine line between sentimental and mawkish that is apparently lost to the makers of emo garbage. It just strikes me as incredibly self-indulgent and insincere to use emotions as a convention rather than a source of inspiration.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Nirvana
    Nirvana
    Nirvana
    Nirvana
    Nirvana

• Rock music ... you are supposed to feel better after you listen to it.

Nirvana
    Nirvana
    Nirvana
    Nirvana
    Nirvana

sincere emotions+the cleansing redemption of kick ass loud guitar=nirvana...not a mopey pant band, yes emotional, but it makes ya wanna give the finger to everything you hate...

Rock music ... you are supposed to feel better after you listen to it.

I feel cleansed and better after a loud listening of "reign in blood"

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    There is a very heavy red pentagram etched bootleg by Player titled Angel of Theft which jacks this whole shit and makes ravers cry on impact. One of the only listenable Drum and Bass 12"s in the last 4 years.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    some sad sack dipshit playing there

I have to admit I almost spit hot tea all over the keyboard when I read that, but I gotta stand up for this shit right here:

And I co-sign, Slayer is some of the most "inspirational" music I know, makes me feel all closer to the spirit, like Gospel and shit..."Dark Gospel" would be a good name for a Slayer album...

Joy Division, Nirvana etc are NOT part of the problem we're outlining here... these are bands that could write songs, could rock the fuck out, and YES expressing a RANGE of INSPIRED emotions...

Oh yeah and they are ACTUALLY SINGING rather than this mumbly bullshit the kids go for these days

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yeah it's all nirvana's fault

they were showing that BS "classic albums" the other night and talking about nevermind.

anyhow this bespeckled rock critic emo looser was goin on about how lithium is just this super great upbeat poptastic jam and how everybody would dance to it... then he's like "but on closer inspection the lyrics are a bit dark" ... A BIT DARK???? we're talkin about a smack addict who blew his brains out writting about his manic depression and perscription drugs!!! there is nothing UPBEAT about a fuckin suicide note set to music.

but hey nirvana are the most important band of all freakin time it seems now...

personally i think they are to blame for 100% of all this emo corporate therapy session crap that's classified as "rock" these days.

personally i think David Geffen[/b] is to blame for 100% of all this emo corporate therapy session crap that's classified as "rock" these days.

Joy Division, Nirvana etc are NOT part of the problem we're outlining here... these are bands that could write songs, could rock the fuck out, and YES expressing a RANGE of INSPIRED emotions...

Oh yeah and they are ACTUALLY SINGING rather than this mumbly bullshit the kids go for these days

Although I get what you are saying, Ian Curtis is a pioneer of mumbly vocals, and a big part of the Nirvana crossover success was that weird shit that goes back to the popularity of "Louie Louie" where Joey CollegeCap goes, "it's so cool - I have NO IDEA what he's saying!"

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    I think the Hook is refering to people like Captain Mopey Pants himself...Will Oldham.

Dude is the most wining,overated artist out today. It also doesn't help that he releases a new album every month under different names. His stuff all sounds the same.

He even has an album where DJs remixed his shit.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    His head....my god, it's at least a city block long.

"A horse walks into a bar, the bartender says 'hey...what's with the long face?'"

His head....my god, it's at least a city block long.

"A horse walks into a bar, the bartender says 'hey...what's with the long face?'"

That would seriously hurt his feelings. But hey...he could probablly get 2 albums worth of material from that comment. TEAR.

This was the flyer Hook saw.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I think the Hook is refering to people like Captain Mopey Pants himself...Will Oldham.

Dude is the most wining,overated artist out today. His stuff all sounds the same.
    co-sign of the stars.
    Bill Callahan/Smog is another one.

Palace and Smog are actually pretty damn good compared to the legions of bands that have come since (which I was referring to)

Seriously, we haven't even heard of any of these guys the kids love today...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    This was the flyer Hook saw.

i looked at this dude's website and i have an overwhelming urge to assault him

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    It just strikes me as incredibly self-indulgent and insincere to use emotions as a convention rather than a source of inspiration.

I think that is an interesting statement. I agree with you in regards to the self-indulgence of writing TONS of songs with lyrics focussed on one emotion, that's nothing but. However, I don't think it is anyone's place to say whether someone else's lyrics are insincere. I have met many musicians who play emo styled music, and they all basically seem pretty depressed. I don't really question their sincerity, but I think that if they were less INDULGENT with their depression then their music might seem more sincere. Might even write a happy song.

That said, I do agree that when an artist focusses on one theme in their music time after time, it starts to look more like a convention of the music than an inspired source, you are right.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    It just strikes me as incredibly self-indulgent and insincere to use emotions as a convention rather than a source of inspiration.

I think that is an interesting statement. I agree with you in regards to the self-indulgence of writing TONS of songs with lyrics focussed on one emotion, that's nothing but. However, I don't think it is anyone's place to say whether someone else's lyrics are insincere.

No, you're right, it isn't my place to decide who's being sincere and who isn't. I think what I was trying to express is that the emo aesthetic is not, from my point of view, an 'effective' way to tap into the listeners' feelings of frailty and vulnerability. That is, there's a point at which artists stop making sad/sentimental/morose music and start making emo albums.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    WhAT about Bright Eyes?

anyone else want to hurt them/him?

some of those mopey emo dudes get tons of tail I betcha, but then they feel bad about it later...

---

• I really hate the Get Up Kids. Is that the kind of shit you're getting at? Someone needs to explain the difference between whining and emoting to these ass clowns.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    (Will Oldham's) head....my god, it's at least a city block long.

NO SHIT! My man got a head look like a Chicken McNugget!!!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I have a feeling that this is Hookup's nightmare. It's all here; the face paint, the trembling upper lip and the overly earnest cover of another super mopey mofo.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    WhAT about Bright Eyes?

anyone else want to hurt them/him?

some of those mopey emo dudes get tons of tail I betcha, but then they feel bad about it later...

---

God, yes.

I don't really get the naming yourself as if you were a band even though you are one person, either. Like this guy:

Get the barf bag ready.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I don't really get the naming yourself as if you were a band even though you are one person, either. Like this guy:

Get the barf bag ready.

I can't stand that trend, either. Sam Beam/Iron & Wine come to mind. And I think Stanley Dural/Buckwheat Zydeco may have done it before anybody...his albums usually show just him on the covers, but I've seen more than one piece of reference material that made it look like "Buckwheat Zydeco" was the name of "Stanley Dural"'s band. "Iron & Wine featuring Sam Beam" is cool, but "Iron & Wine" as Sam's new name =

I understand that sometimes band lineups aren't that stable, and musicians probably do this just so people know who the point man (or woman) is supposed to be, in case somebody leaves. But even so, one person named after a band is kinda goofy.