the squirrely bald dude at amoeba can eat a dick

djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
edited May 2005 in Record Collecting
so I buy this record a couple months ago at Amoeba...one of those Killah Kuts 12"s and it's got the wrong song on it. I put it to the side thinking I'm gonna return it next time I go back. I keep forgetting but last night my roomate decides to roll and I remembered my record so I took it back. So I'm at the return counter and this little Michael Stipe lookalike comes up and I tell him what's up and how I kept forgetting but it's the wrong song on the record and could I still return it. He looks at the reciept and says "no sorry it's been longer than a week" I'm like "oh I didn't even read the reciept, that's cool...what about a buyback?" and dude says"why would we buy it back, it's the wrong song?"and walks off.if I was anyone else watching this, that would have been funnier than fuck but I wanted to knock the fuck out of this dude. argh.but then the nice lady that does the buybacks gave me a store credit for $3 just for my trouble, didn't even want the record. so now I'll just go slang it somewhere else.

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Sounds like 75% of the record store employees in Portland.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I wanted to knock the fuck out of this dude.

heard that

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

"Why would we buy it back if it's the wrong song? I don't have time for you and your rap music records. In fact, we lose money on LPs. We make a lot more money selling CDs and DVDs anyways."[/b]

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    seriously, what is with these baldy record store employees? did they all watch hi-fidelity and want to be like that snotty squirrely moby-like character? or were these guys there all along?

seriously, what is with these baldy record store employees?

"What? You don't find my Picard-esque hairdo sexy? I don't have time for you."[/b]

did they all watch hi-fidelity and want to be like that snotty squirrely moby-like character?

"Pssh, Moby? Everyone knows I am sporting this look a la Fugazi frontman Ian MacKaye. If you didn't figure that out by now, I don't have time for you."[/b]

or were these guys there all along?

"Yup, we've always been here and always will. Until the end of time. And you know, I really don't have time for you."[/b]

Quote:

"Pssh, Moby? Everyone knows I am sporting this look a la Fugazi frontman Ian MacKaye. If you didn't figure that out by now, I don't have time for you."

yo, my crew just put on a evens show last week. ian's got a much cooler demeanor that looks cooler than that squirrely look.

don't know the dude but from what I've heard/seen I'm in agreement

I'm just saying that's what that dude would say, probably.

"why would we buy it back, it's the wrong song?"

and walks off.

HAHAHA. Too funny but fuck him. Just sell it back to them when another worker is there. Or better yet come up on something...ECAEP

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

and walks off.

HAHAHA. Too funny but fuck him. Just sell it back to them when another worker is there. Or better yet come up on something...ECAEP

Or you could just donate it to Goodwill, so headphone-fiend/wil-one/ECAEP can steal it...ECAEP

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Sounds like 75% of the record store employees in THE WORLD[/b].

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Sounds like 75% of the record store employees in THE WORLD[/b].
    they can all eat shit on a pissy piece of bread.

• Sounds like 75% of the record store employees in THE WORLD[/b].
    they can all eat shit on a pissy piece of bread.

I hope I fall into the other %25, it would bum me the fuck out to have to eat a doo doo sammich.

For real though, most record store employees do suck. Especially the uptight indie rock elitists who have to flex their ego at work 'cause they get no respect in the outside world.

I've also always felt that these rock-centric record store employees who treat hip hop and any post 60s soul and jazz as second class music and those who purchase it as lower than them are closet rascists. They tend to flex their little bit of power in the world unjustly on customers buying hip hop rather than the legions of uptight assholes asking inane questions about the quality of the new Bob Dylan remasters or if the bonus tracks on the Elvis Costello special edition CDs are any good. They cling to this bullshit idea that rock music (generally a white dominated genre) is number one and everything else ( rap, soul, jazz, smooth jazz, techno - genres where black people are equally or more represented) ) is silly and somehow not REAL music. Basically they're saying that any soul music made after Sly , jazz made after Grover, and rap made after Sugarhill is inferior and the cultures and peoples that buy them and appreciate them are musically ignorant and worthless, not to be taken seriously.

Yeah, those guys can eat poopy sammiches with pee sauce all day long.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

eat poopy sammiches with pee sauce all day long.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Which Amoebas are you talking about? I always get first class service from the Berkeley store. The people there are generally really friendly. On the otherhand I could talk shit about Rasputin employees all day long (I do give them credit for finally upgrading their vinyl section).

• so I buy this record a couple months ago at Amoeba...one of those Killah Kuts 12"s and it's got the wrong song on it. I put it to the side thinking I'm gonna return it next time I go back. I keep forgetting but last night my roomate decides to roll and I remembered my record so I took it back.

So I'm at the return counter and this little Michael Stipe lookalike comes up and I tell him what's up and how I kept forgetting but it's the wrong song on the record and could I still return it. He looks at the reciept and says "no sorry it's been longer than a week" I'm like "oh I didn't even read the reciept, that's cool...what about a buyback?" and dude says

and walks off.

if I was anyone else watching this, that would have been funnier than fuck but I wanted to knock the fuck out of this dude. argh.

but then the nice lady that does the buybacks gave me a store credit for $3 just for my trouble, didn't even want the record. so now I'll just go slang it somewhere else.

similar story with the same dude at amoeba. i purchase two import 12's of eric b and rakim's the R 12" w/ the remix. so i crack one open and the shit is pressed horrendously. grooves are all over theplace skipping, ends up both copies are like this. i was like wtf? so i put it to the side similar to dazers and forget about it. i call three weeks later to see if i can bring it in. since it was defective they let me do so. so when i bring it in the moby lookin dude takes a look at it and i tell him the story. he said that he would bet if he took these two 12"'s upstairs they would play perfectly fine. i said go for it. of course he was bluffing and was too lazy to do it. but the shit skipped all over the place i wasn't going nuts. so he reluctantly gave me credit but was extremely reluctant. i was like buddy i would be a much happier man if i had this record. my buying habits at the store have gone way down after that at amoeba.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Which Amoebas are you talking about? I always get first class service from the Berkeley store. The people there are generally really friendly. On the otherhand I could talk shit about Rasputin employees all day long (I do give them credit for finally upgrading their vinyl section).

LA

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    what about the surly dwayne-wayne-alike in the jazz section?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    similar story with the same dude at amoeba. i purchase two import 12's of eric b and rakim's the R 12" w/ the remix. so i crack one open and the shit is pressed horrendously. grooves are all over theplace skipping, ends up both copies are like this.

Bald dude could've easily discovered the entire run was like this - they had to mark them down to like $3.99 at my local...

You guys are starting to make ME hate this dude, all the way over on the other coast...

• Which Amoebas are you talking about? I always get first class service from the Berkeley store. The people there are generally really friendly. On the otherhand I could talk shit about Rasputin employees all day long (I do give them credit for finally upgrading their vinyl section).

LA

haha i know the clown you speak of.

I went in there a couple days ago with a stack of about 40 disco 12's (1/3 of which were white label dj promos). Nothing rare but decent $1-5 disco 12's nonetheless. This moron doesn't even bother to check the condition of the records and just counts them up instead. He turns to me and says "six fourty in cash...four something in credit" HAHA! Either this dude thought I'm a crack smoker who would be happy with $6 for his next fix or he was gonna give me the $6.40 out his own pocket and flip em on ebay/back to the store for a profit. Kick rocks micheal stipe.

• what about the surly dwayne-wayne-alike in the jazz section?

another punk bitch courtesy of amoebas staff.

i was in the jazz section and left one bin with the records leaning towards you (instead of towards the back of the bin). This geeky ass carlton looking square comes outta nowhere trying to give me a demonstration on how to put records back with an attitude. I looked at him and said "nah you work here thats your job" and madogged until he called security on me saying he feels "threatened" and shit. Haha they did nothing.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I'm not sure if were thinking of the saem dude but if we are thats my homie Quincy. Dudes cool as fuck and looks much more snobbish than he really is. known cat since a high school party back in like '97 or something when we both starting cyphering over a OGC cassette. Talk to him about music and watch how quickly your opinion shifts toward the positive

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

another punk bitch courtesy of amoebas staff.

i was in the jazz section and left one bin with the records leaning towards you (instead of towards the back of the bin). This geeky ass carlton looking square comes outta nowhere trying to give me a demonstration on how to put records back with an attitude. I looked at him and said "nah you work here thats your job" and madogged until he called security on me saying he feels "threatened" and shit. Haha they did nothing.

Dude may be a dork, but leave things the way you found them. I've worked enough jobs where cutomers have this "clean up behind me" attitude I can understand why it's annoying. I mean really, if someone came to your house and messed shit up and said "it's your house you clean it" how would you feel? I realize the customer doesn't have to do everything, but pushing the records back after you flip through them isn't too much to ask. Calling security when someones doesn't comply IS too much! I would let it go and then just talk shit behind their back.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    I saw that guy yesterday after I read your story and wanted to tell him that his name was mud on ss but resisted. I silently cast a black magic spell on him instead.

Amoeba LA is the original home of paranoia and bad vibes (as well as a lot of hot girls in tight jeans). I have had discussions with people who work there that suggest that there is a small army of plain clothes security in that place. If you are reading this and go to Amoeba LA you have probably been trailed without knowing it. This is why it is so hard to hide disks (something I don't do by the way), because they see you as you do it. I have also had my share of runins at the buy counter. Dudes are suspicious and never right. They hate it when they can tell you know more than they do. On one hand there are several decent folks there and I sympathize because sometimes the place looks like a soup kitchen or something but basically the adversarial tone is discomforting. There is an older guy who looks like some sort of manager who is real nice and gives the best buy offers, but he ain't there real often.

The other major issue is with the psycho bouncer dudes at the bag check counter. Almost all of them act like they are doing you a huge favor by performing their one task of taking or retreiving your bag, and when it's 11PM don't fuck with those guys, they will fuck you up real quick.

The bay area stores are nothing like this.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    known cat since a high school party back in like '97 or something when we both starting cyphering over a OGC cassette.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I saw that guy yesterday after I read your story and wanted to tell him that his name was mud on ss but resisted.

Like that means anything to anybody. People on SS don't even care when their name is mud on SS. Telling someone that would just make you look even more dorkey than them.

(inseart Bevis voice) "Dude, these guys on the internet said your a dork. Huhu Huhuhuh."

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Thanks for the clarification, dude.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    known cat since a high school party back in like '97 or something when we both starting cyphering over a OGC cassette.

Oh man trust me although y'all think you know much about young Adam through my posts I could still shock y'all with some stories from my backpack days.

Guzzo got RIMES son

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    bust it young Guz

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    The other major issue is with the psycho bouncer dudes at the bag check counter.

those dudes are the SOLE reason why I didn't just start screaming at dude...they were like 2 feet away and I like my teeth.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    The other major issue is with the psycho bouncer dudes at the bag check counter.

those dudes are the SOLE reason why I didn't just start screaming at dude...they were like 2 feet away and I like my teeth.

funny how bad the LA store is, it's a joke really, my homie from the sf store had to work down there for a week, had some funny ish to report back...
    i keep it simple w/ a dont go there anymore policy...