Price Check: Kool and The Gang - S/T

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk
How much are old money dudes spending on this one?

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Either end of the spectrum: $1 or $100.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    I got an original Japanese press for about $20 a while back

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I think RAJ is right, $100 max.

But, $8.99 was okay with me.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

$100 is where my max bid is right now but I don't think I'll win. So...how much are the "hood rich" dudes willing to spend?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I am still not sure if this record exsists..as I have still yet to dig one up...never have seen the sumbitch in the real world...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    $100 is where my max bid is right now but I don't think I'll win. So...how much are the "hood rich" dudes willing to spend?
    $100 is definitely worth it if it is NM. This record is so hard to find clean.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Either end of the spectrum: $1 or $100.

I think you'd be doing good to get a clean copy for a bill. This is one of those LPs that hasn't become significantly more available with the advent of the online marketplace and which everyone still agrees is excellent.

I think I gave up $125 in trade for mine.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    i'm almost certain you could get $200 if it is in flawless condition in shrink and original pressing without the song "let the music take your mind"
    stein. . .

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    i'm almost certain you could get $200 if it is in flawless condition in shrink and original pressing without the song "let the music take your mind"
    stein. . .

Funny you said that...mine has this tar like substance streaked across that song

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I am still not sure if this record exsists..as I have still yet to dig one up...never have seen the sumbitch in the real world...

I've never seen electricity either, but I know that exists.

Seriously, though - I'll cut 'em some slack just based on the fact that (a) it was the first album, (b) De-Lite was, at the time, a relatively small label, and (c) the liner notes to 1971's Live At PJ's refer to it as their third album. Which means it came after the s/t album under discussion and Live At The Sex Machine. IMO, I doubt if the first LP was a hoax.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    people were beating down my door and calling me stupid when i sold a vg copy for slightly over $30 on my website. ive had 4 in the last ten years, none mint.
    live at PJs is just as good IMO.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    people were beating down my door and calling me stupid when i sold a vg copy for slightly over $30 on my website.

Pfff...and they'd be volunteering to organize your record room if they were the ones who scoooped it.

Hatters never prosper.

Love live the Hustle.

• Options
    I've never seen electricity either, but I know that exists

have you ever seen lightning? Same shit.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Has that album got Give It Up on there?

That tune is the BOMB.

Does anyone know if it was ever put out on 45?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

f'rills this is like some great practical joke...I've never seen one in real life, no one ever seems to have it. Electrode says he has one but then he goes ahead and says its from some made up place called "Japan" and I'm like, "Oh ok I'm gonna get the unicornland OG press and show all of you"

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Has that album got Give It Up on there?

That tune is the BOMB.

Does anyone know if it was ever put out on 45?

give it up was never released as a 45, but is on the s/t album.

• i own a m- vinyl/ vg+ cover copy. purchased off ebay a few years ago for $45USD.
    vinyl is so clean.
    yes, give it up is absolutely monumental.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

f'rills this is like some great practical joke...I've never seen one in real life, no one ever seems to have it.

AND THAT'S WHY THEY CALL IT: "RAER." KEEP ON DIGGIN', FRIENDS...[/b]

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I found mine at a flea years ago for $2... told the dealer it was too much so he gave it to me for a buck. Yes, I am a sick bastard.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I found mine at a flea years ago for $2... told the dealer it was too much so he gave it to me for a buck. Yes, I am a sick bastard.

Haha!! That's my favorite move! Like the yard sale I went to a few years ago that had all sealed OG 60's rock, soul and jazz records for fifty cents apiece...

I was like, "will you do 25 for $10?"

hahaha!!

I just finally sold the final "non-keeper" from that score, a sealed Monkees "Pisces, Aquarius..." for $75...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    cheap bastards

• JJMJJM 3 Posts
    Hello Guys

Never pay more than $10 for this. We find it here all the time for under $5. It's just a one tracker anyway, unless your getting it for the breaks I would pass.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    where's "here"

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Hello Guys

Never pay more than $10 for this. We find it here all the time for under $5. It's just a one tracker anyway, unless your getting it for the breaks I would pass.

1 tracker?
    $5?
    im confused

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    where's "here"

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    $100 is where my max bid is right now

100$!! But honey we just gave you your weekend money! Can't you wait until the weekend? [/b]

BUT MOM, DAD YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!!! If i'm going to have some "heavyweight crates" I'm going to need to have this record on my wall!!! [/b]

Okay, FINE! but no more money until the weekend! No if, ands, or butts buster! [/b]

AWESOME! Wait until I tell the guys! [/b]

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I got an unplayed mint OG from Rich at Wax Trax in Vegas last year for $50. They're around. He had a bunch of copies.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I got an unplayed mint OG from Rich at Wax Trax in Vegas last year for $50. They're around. He had a bunch of copies.

That dude sold you one for that cheap! I heard some pretty grizzly stories about dude having some retarded prices, good shit though I think 50$ bucks is a great price.

P.S. I got mine for 10$, no cover though

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    This is after me going there for the last few years and putting up with his BS. He likes me now. I've spent plenty there over the years. I talked him down from $75. I think that was his way of reaching out.

If you talk shit back to him I think that actually makes him respect you.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    This is after me going there for the last few years and putting up with his BS. He likes me now. I've spent plenty there over the years. I talked him down from $75. I think that was his way of reaching out.

If you talk shit back to him I think that actually makes him respect you.

fuck.... I knew I should have taken a cab to see that dickhead a few weeks ago when I was there.

The phone convo I had with him trying to get directions kind of turned me off tho.

nuff said.