Anybody name a Jungle/D'n'B top 20?

2»

Comments

• Some of those tracks are just embarrassing. When are we going to get the happy hardcore massive going on about their favourite tracks? What about the epic trance DJs? Just because it gets made and people like it doesn't meant it's any good (cause it's usually not).

• Didny I read in a recent magazine the Hank Shocklee's new material is D-N-B?

yeah, he's producing dnb stuff, for whom, i know not. we were DJing a party and he was playing all kinds of different stuff, some of his own work, some not. more on the "experimental" tip than the sound that he helped pioneer through PE.

http://www.shocklee.com/

(to be updated at some point?)

though i can't really vouch for the genre nowadays, i still play some jungle/dnb shit out. folks don't seem to mind the samba stuff earlier in the evening.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Nothing is any good if other people with no taste and who are stoned out of their gourds[/b] like it

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    One of the reasons that I posted up the link to that Drum&Bass forum was because I hoped people like you might wonder why another group of music enthusiasts have a sufficiently wide scope of listening interests to be able to name a top twenty from a different genre.

Knowing "C.R.E.A.M." and Mos Def constitutes a wide scope of listening interests?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I was never that heavily into dnb. But being from Bristol I do have a real fondness for the genre. Although I find it hard to believe that people are STILL willing to argue its importance or impotence. My flatmate, who was a dnb dj backintheday, really believes that brown paper bag killed the scene, and nothing's been the same since.

What I want to know is.. Is it true that some Americans, especially the mc's involved in the US scene, affect a London accent?? Could this really be true.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    alaska-aries maze[paradox]
    dillinjah - angels fall
    splash -babylon
    dj trace-babylon remix #2
    undercover agent-original bad boysound
    4- hero- everything they touched till present
    goldie-inner city life[sentimental reasons]
    remarc-soundmurder
    ed rush/optical-cutslo remix
    soundmurderer-"BAD MAN"
    Squarepusher- Tundra and Beep Street and theme from the Ernest Borgnine
    Omni Trio- renegade snares
    Peshay-Piano
    Bukem-Music
    Datcyde-Sober
    DJ Rap- Spiiritual Aura [sentimental reasons]
    Bad Company- Dubplate
    Aphex-Didgeriedoo
    Luke Vibert as Plug-"plug Ep"
    LLoydie Crucial-Ribbon in the sky remix Dubplate

Fuck what people think,this is what i like

Drum and bass pushed s1000s and s2000s to the limit sequencing/engineering/plug in abuse/time stretching and synth/drum programing as well as mastering/dub plate cutting for maximum bass/hi fidelity to the next level

ever listen to some of dillijah's shit on a real big system?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Nothing is any good if other people with no taste and who are stoned out of their gourds like it

OK, so smugly posting a link to another board with a "look at how cool they are" angle is only going to get people's backs up - I humbly apologise, and would like to add that I was too 'asshurt' by the lack of love for d'n'b to sit down and type a prompter reply to the excellent video links that were posted. The Junglist one was a lesson in how to spend the video budget; getting stoned out of your gourd around the studio. The Adam F video was pants. The DJ Chronic one was fucking mental. It's a high-speed montage of stupid nineties popculture references and cartoons like Transformers, Thundercats and Vanilla Ice jigging around - great if you like that sort of thing.

Knowing C.R.E.A.M. & Mos Def alone doesn't constitute a wide scope of listening interests, no.
    Complaining about the scope of music discussed here isn't particularly positive. But, it seems that if it's an old record produced by musicians, anything gets a full and impartial appraisal here, which is great. But when it comes to modern produced music, I wish I saw more threads exploring new stuff from different genres (HAH, and there's now a House music thread. I should go back to sleep).

P.S. The links to Loefah's myspace were cool - I recommend the Scratch Perry Guiness commercials. That man is bonkers.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

OK, so smugly posting a link to another board with a "look at how cool they are" angle is only going to get people's backs up - I humbly apologise, and would like to add that I was too 'asshurt' by the lack of love for d'n'b to sit down and type a prompter reply to the excellent video links that were posted.

I was just giving you a hard time. I can't go on baiting someone who's obviously a decent fellow.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts

Drum and bass pushed s1000s and s2000s to the limit sequencing/engineering/plug in abuse/time stretching and synth/drum programing as well as mastering/dub plate cutting for maximum bass/hi fidelity to the next level

This is what so many people miss. It was what they were able to achive.
    D'n'b is still huge in the UK and it has a different vibe to the US. I've taken people that didn't like d'n'b to a club night in london and because of the crowd and good vibes they started listening to d'n'b. Look at NZ, it's HUGE there now.

I had a chance to hear/feel the Valve Soundsystem the first (and only) night at Fabric. It was about 1/4 of their speakers and bottles were crashing off the shelves behind the bar. Saw the Valve system again at Mass in Brixton, this time they were ready for the bottles and gave out free earplugs, it wasn't all of the speakers that time either. I have only heard the complete Valve sound system once and it was out of control at some festival. Dillinja and Lemon D both tweak their tunes to the system, I saw sober people throwing up becuase of the the body vibrations. I was loving it!!! There was a crowd of about 50 people forming a semi cirlce around each tower speaker enclosure, just staring at the speakers, every 5 minutes someone would try and walk twoards the speaker to touch the cabinet but they could never get more than 4 feet from the speaker.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts

This is what so many people miss. It was what they were able to achive.
    D'n'b is still huge in the UK and it has a different vibe to the US. I've taken people that didn't like d'n'b to a club night in london and because of the crowd and good vibes they started listening to d'n'b. Look at NZ, it's HUGE there now.

I had a chance to hear/feel the Valve Soundsystem the first (and only) night at Fabric. It was about 1/4 of their speakers and bottles were crashing off the shelves behind the bar. Saw the Valve system again at Mass in Brixton, this time they were ready for the bottles and gave out free earplugs, it wasn't all of the speakers that time either. I have only heard the complete Valve sound system once and it was out of control at some festival. Dillinja and Lemon D both tweak their tunes to the system, I saw sober people throwing up becuase of the the body vibrations. I was loving it!!! There was a crowd of about 50 people forming a semi cirlce around each tower speaker enclosure, just staring at the speakers, every 5 minutes someone would try and walk twoards the speaker to touch the cabinet but they could never get more than 4 feet from the speaker.

truth

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    drum&bass on a huge system is even better and dillinjah with his valve soundsystem was and still is a funny thing. But the major problem with dillinjah is that he did not produce one interesting tune since around 1998. Instead, he releases one boring rave tune after another. I??ve seen him play a couple of times and it usually became boring after five minutes.

One major mistake made by many drum&bass dj??s is that they think pumping up the volume improves the quality of the music. Drum&Bass needs a good system - especially for the bass - and only a couple of clubs have that, but tepid stuff sounds tepid everywhere.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    drum&bass on a huge system is even better and dillinjah with his valve soundsystem was and still is a funny thing. But the major problem with dillinjah is that he did not produce one interesting tune since around 1998. Instead, he releases one boring rave tune after another. I??ve seen him play a couple of times and it usually became boring after five minutes.

One major mistake made by many drum&bass dj??s is that they think pumping up the volume improves the quality of the music. Drum&Bass needs a good system - especially for the bass - and only a couple of clubs have that, but tepid stuff sounds tepid everywhere.

agreed
    its like those guys sacrificed their studio chops for that sound system
    dillinjah did a few cool remixes here and there and his bass work is the essence of any track so its easy to pass off another repetitive dillijah.

but mixed into a set by a real d&b dj it takes on a new meaning when the bass drops

i saw them both dj in like 98 and they were THE WORST skilled djs i have ever seen.

bumping into each other ,full on needle drags,train wrecks on beat matching
    it was so bad that they were laughing at themselves
    the valve system is overkill ehh?
    i'd still like to ear it
    also would have liked to have heard Jah Shaka's sound when it was up and killing

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    drum&bass on a huge system is even better and dillinjah with his valve soundsystem was and still is a funny thing. But the major problem with dillinjah is that he did not produce one interesting tune since around 1998. Instead, he releases one boring rave tune after another.

also would have liked to have heard Jah Shaka's sound when it was up and killing

Yeah, Dillinja got shit as soon as he started using the Capone nom de plume - those productions weren't worthy of the name when compared to his vintage stuff.

Valve made people puke? Reminds me of a discussion here that cropped up about 'Brown Noise' - you can probably guess what the effects of this ultra-low frequency are supposed to be.
    The Valve Soundsystem anecdote reminds of the rock concert from Hithikers Guide to the Galaxy - the speakers are on one planet and the audience listens on the next door planet. Adams prefigured Spinal Tap turning it up to 11 by a few years there.
    I wholeheartedly concur with the 'needs to be heard in correct context' statements; biiiig soundsytem in a club full of people who love the music. One of the problems I have with 'getting' most of the dubstep tracks I hear via mp3 snippetts is identical. Will have to investigate a club in London, and do some passive smoking.

I heard Jah Shaka's Soundsystem at the Rocket in London. Fookin' awesome. One of the best bass experiences I've ever had, although I lost an eight in the club toilets when I was skinning up because the cubicles started shaking and I thought the bouncers were trying to kick the door in on me - it was a couple having sex in the cubicle next door.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    SUPA SHARP SHOOTER
    SHOOTING SHOTS

I saw sober people throwing up becuase of the the body vibrations. I was loving it!!!
    LOL

This is a great thread on many levels.  I'll poast up a random 20 when I'm done working for the night.

Okay, here's 20.  I left out all the braindance (sorry for using that term!) since that's really part of a whole other list. 

Ganja Kru - Super Sharp Shooter
    T-Power vs MK Ultra - Mutant Jazz
    Josey Wales, Beenie Man & Ini Kamoze - Build Me 3 Coffins (New Blood Crew Mix)
    Photek - Complex
    Lemon D and Dillinja - Rapture
    DJ SS - Black / Black VIP 
    Boymerang - Mind Control
    Shy FX - Gangsta II (f Gunsmoke)
    Shy FX & UK Apache - Original Nuttah
    Tribe Of Issachar - Junglist (98 Remix)
    Jonny L - I Let U
    Omni Trio - Thru The Vibe (94)
    Refigue Cru - Believe
    Nasty Habits - Shadow Boxing
    Missy Elliott - Hit Em Wit Da Hee (Ganja Kru Remix)
    Camp Lo - Luchini (Lemon D Remix)
    Slo-mo jams:
    Abstract Truth - Get Another Plan (Extended Mix)
    Four Tet - Hilarious Movie of the 90s (Koushik's Funny Flic)
    Ivana Santilli - If Ever I Fall  (Pt. 2)

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    DJ Flux- Stardust Music Sounds Better remix