NEW record store in brooklyn???

spivyspivy 866 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
where is it? a couple people told me a new USED record store opened somewhere downtown...where?

Comments

• are you talking about Dope Jams? It's on Myrtle and Classon in the Clinton Hill area.

www.dopejams.com

• a buddy of mine just opened a shop in Brooklyn, Passout Records...mostly punk stuff though.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    is dope jams (silly name) new? and do they sell varied styles or only "dope jams"? thanks!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    That would be a great name for a store that sells organic hemp preserves and marmalades.

Can't help on the store though, sorry.

• it's relatively new. definitely under a year old. not too many heads know about it as far as I know just cause it's not too close to a train (G train is 10 minute walk away). Standard fare (hip hop, funk, jazz, soul, etc), but a nice shop with books and other little knick knacks as well.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Rockwell check your PMs

• dope jams has been around for many months now....i think they opened in the early spring.

they are fully stocked on reissue vinyl and have a lot of used jazz and latin and some hip hop and disco. sometimes their dollar bins are really good. the sound system in the store is better than most clubs! it's a unique store with a good vibe...it's just in a weird neighborhood...i wish them the best.

• Has the new TSL opened up?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Did someone say "DOPE"?

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Has the new TSL opened up?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    You mean The REAL TSL? yeah, 12th between A&B. Was looking really good stockwise. It's bijou

• Both shops have been open for a minute now.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    a buddy of mine just opened a shop in Brooklyn, Passout Records...mostly punk stuff though.

god bless them, but they charge about 30% more for reissues than any store i've ever seen outside of europe...

• a buddy of mine just opened a shop in Brooklyn, Passout Records...mostly punk stuff though.

god bless them, but they charge about 30% more for reissues than any store i've ever seen outside of europe...

it's a good store for getting non-punk records in the dollarbins!

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    You mean The REAL TSL? yeah, 12th between A&B. Was looking really good stockwise. It's bijou

The REAL TSL is on Orchard, surely?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

Not to veer off topic but what's the name of that Jamaican-only vinyl shop you guys have. I haven't been to NYC in a couple of years but was probably going to head out that way in the new year sometime. I think its in the villiage or the lower east side or something like that.

• Not to veer off topic but what's the name of that Jamaican-only vinyl shop you guys have. I haven't been to NYC in a couple of years but was probably going to head out that way in the new year sometime. I think its in the villiage or the lower east side or something like that.

Jammyland.

Not to veer off topic but what's the name of that Jamaican-only vinyl shop you guys have. I haven't been to NYC in a couple of years but was probably going to head out that way in the new year sometime. I think its in the villiage or the lower east side or something like that.

deadly dragon

a buddy of mine just opened a shop in Brooklyn, Passout Records...mostly punk stuff though.

it's a good store for getting non-punk records in the dollarbins!

hmmm, they didn't have dollarbins when i was there...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    is dope jams (silly name) new? and do they sell varied styles or only "dope jams"? thanks!

not my favorite all time name for a record shop but i prefer "dope jams" to "tropicalia in furs".
    definitely my favorite new shop that i've stepped into in a while.
    chill vibe. cool records. owner, frances, is one nice dude.
    not to mention that i found some amazing records there including one longtime jazz want.
    mainly a dance shop.
    check it out and support it. i'm sure they could use business.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    cool...so i dropped by "dope jamzzzzzz" today before work and picked up a very cool record from the jazz bin for a nice price. crazy location for a store. take the g to classon ave and walk north. nice looking store no question! too much techno-ish, house-ish, downtempo-y sounds though!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Fuck I can't wait to back to New York.