"i don't like the funk/soul/jazz"

2»

Comments

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    The fact that she dissed Curtis either means that you should either literally urinate in her coffee or not take her seriously as a human being. I'm not sure which. But there is no middle ground here.

I don't think I've ever met a girl who's even heard of Curtis Mayfield Shit, I've even been with a girl who never heard of Marvin Gaye.

By the way, I'm stuck at work with 2 girls that play the new Scissor Sistors album on repeat.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    The fact that she dissed Curtis either means that you should either literally urinate in her coffee or not take her seriously as a human being. I'm not sure which. But there is no middle ground here.

I don't think I've ever met a girl who's even heard of Curtis Mayfield Shit, I've even been with a girl who never heard of Marvin Gaye.

By the way, I'm stuck at work with 2 girls that play the new Scissor Sistors album on repeat.

lemme guess, you dont feel like dancing?

ok, that was bad.

is it just me or does that guy sound like Elton John.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts

lemme guess, you dont feel like dancing?

ok, that was bad.

is it just me or does that guy sound like Elton John.

I've been told by them that Elton John co-wrote that piece of shit. One of them switches it up sometimes and throws on a Placebo cd which she tries to sing/hum along to softly with a sad emo expression on her face. Kill me now.

I'd bring some hair metal to annoy them, but I fear they might actually like that, maybe I should play some freejazz?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Placebo? Emo looks? dude...

ok, im upping something that should sort those little sensitive girlies out for you. gimme a couple minutes...

play THIS!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Do what I do at work. Let them play their music and about twenty seconds in say "what is this crap?" Then turn it off. Everytime she wants to play her music tell her that you let her play her music and now it's your turn. Than laugh in her 'Frajille' face.

• it makes me sad when i???m told not to play what i like

This dude sounds very fragile.

By the way, I am funk/soul/jazz.

Please Be serious.

last night I registered a parent in the ER at Children's Hospital in DC (the weekend gig)....Mom's name, 'Frajille'

"Fra-jill-lay", I say, reading the screen.

"Naw, it's pronounced FRAGILE".

Must be Italian....

• she wants ROCK music huh? make a couple 80 minute mixes of nothing but these two and she says anything, just ask "I thought you liked ROCK music? This is some of the BEST rock music ever made!"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    it makes me sad when i???m told not to play what i like

This dude sounds very fragile.

By the way, I am funk/soul/jazz.

Please Be serious.

last night I registered a parent in the ER at Children's Hospital in DC (the weekend gig)....Mom's name, 'Frajille'

"Fra-jill-lay", I say, reading the screen.

"Naw, it's pronounced FRAGILE".

Must be Italian....

exactly!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I used to work in a record store where I was the only employee (black or white) who didn't listen to hip-hop, so I know first-hand how hard it is for different musical tastes to coincide sometimes. Yet, when I see THIS:

could we please be allowed to play some rock? indie and electronic stuff is what college kids listen to ??? that???s what they played in all the coffee houses in seattle, and the stuff on my playlist is the same kinda thing they play on ktuh. my stuff is non-offensive and promotes good messages. like everyone knows snow patrol, etc.[/b] please? it makes me sad when i???m told not to play what i like, because i don???t like the funk/soul/jazz stuff..[/b] so that doesn???t leave me with much. if you guys want me to put on classical, i can, but it would be nice if i am allowed to expand the listening selection on my shift. thank you very much.

...it reminds me of every self-righteous indie-rock chick I ever met in college who thought she was superior just because she was listening to Erasure when everybody else was into, say, Poison. Can't put my finger on it, but there's something a little too smug about her whine. She comes off as one of those folks who says[/b] "your tastes should be more di-verse" but means[/b] "your tastes are narrow because you don't like what I like."

And I know that when you're running a store, you have to be careful not to play shit that might drive the customers away, but certain parts of her missive - "my stuff is non-offensive and promotes good messages," "everyone knows Snow Patrol," the bit about "what the college kids listen to on KTUH" - come off as hipster fascism at its' all-time worst. It's like this (now-defunct) greasepit I used to eat at in Chicago's South Loop...as soon as they replaced the senior-citizen waitresses with college kids, and as soon as they stopped playing the oldies station and started playing the commercial-alternative channel, the fun was over. I don't know about Brian's coffeeshop, but greasy cheeseburgers and Natalie Merchant just don't go together.

Damn, all that ranting about a person I don't even know! <>
    As much as I recognize the irony of a bunch of people saying 'how can you not like curtis' and then accusing other people of being fascists, this whole post is totally on point.

• i can't imagine what that poor girl is going through having to listen to all that offensive and bad-messaged negro music...

• And I know that when you're running a store, you have to be careful not to play shit that might drive the customers away

I don't think I've ever been to a cafe where if they played any "funk slash soul slash jazz", half the customers would shout GTFOOHWTBS...

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    How you gonna hate on Curtis???

• I bet this girl is reasonably hot. If you're bored, hit on her. If you choose your lovers based on musical taste, you'll probably end up with someone like hcrink. If she is busted, disregard all of the above.
    not reasonably hot, never work with her. my last girlfriend was a huge mariah carrey fan so musical taste doesn't really fall into the equation much with relationships but i can't tolerate any curtis hate and i don't want to end up like hcrink. she's not completely busted but almost there

Hmm. Not completely busted but almost there. That's awful. Who opens a cafe & doesn't fill it with sexy broads? And what's a cafe doing in Hawaii? You guys need hot beverages like I need air conditioning in December.

haha man you are on a role !