You know what? That Justin Timberlake shit sucks!

Comments

• The only reason this turd has gotten any love whatsoever is due to inverse elitism. People are professing to feel it so that when heads deem it(correctly) to be trash they can claim they are just too image conscious to appreciate it. This is the only possible explaination.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The only reason this turd has gotten any love whatsoever is due to inverse elitism. People are professing to feel it so that when heads deem it(correctly) to be trash they can claim they are just too image conscious to appreciate it. This is the only possible explaination.

Well, if I thought that the "heads [who] deem it (correctly) to be trash" weren't at least in some small way motivated by the kind of "elitism" that believes there's no possible way a record made by a former Mouseketeer/boy-band alumnus could ever be any good, under any circumstances, I might be inclined to think you had a point.

• come on now dudes, listen to the man's taste...click on that freesol link and listen to that garbage...he signed that as the debut release for the new STAX label wow, that man has really good ears....

• wow, that man has really good ears....

Only because they regularly brush the inside of Cameron Diaz' thighs....

come on now dudes, listen to the man's taste...click on that freesol link and listen to that garbage...he signed that as the debut release for the new STAX label wow, that man has really good ears....

Lest we forget, not everything ever released on Stax back in the day was the raw, chicken-grease, gutbucket soul equivalent of "THAT REAL SCHITT"...

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I HATED SEXY BACK WHEN IT CAME OUT! still do... and when beckos request it, i play this mptree dildo and sit back in anticipation of a clubwide becky-head-explosion.

a lot of people actualy like it better than the original.

• come on now dudes, listen to the man's taste...click on that freesol link and listen to that garbage...he signed that as the debut release for the new STAX label wow, that man has really good ears....

Lest we forget, not everything ever released on Stax was the raw, chicken-grease, gutbucket soul equivalent of "THAT REAL SCHITT"...

So can we expect Timbertoes to restore Stax to Zavaroni-esque levels of UN-real schitt???

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Oh man...I CAN'T WAIT for the thread on Diddy's new album!!!

That rhyme Pharoahe Monch wrote for him is pretty tight.

Please be serious.

I don't know who should be more embarassed by that record--Puff or Monch.

heads deem it(correctly) to be trash

You said 'heads'... I believe that it is properly spelled with a z, though.

Lest we forget, not everything ever released on Stax was the raw, chicken-grease, gutbucket soul equivalent of "THAT REAL SCHITT"...

So can we expect Timbertoes to restore Stax to Zavaroni-esque levels of UN-real schitt???

Whatever Doc, no one ever said everything on Stax was killer. But I do believe that a label with as much historical importance as Stax SHOULD BE LEFT THE FUCK ALONE and not "rejuvinated". That is my point. STAX was/is too damn important a name to be a breeding ground for this man's "taste".

Whatever Doc, no one ever said everything on Stax was killer. But I do believe that a label with as much historical importance as Stax SHOULD BE LEFT THE FUCK ALONE and not "rejuvinated". That is my point. STAX was/is too damn important a name to be a breeding ground for this man's "taste".

That was my post you responded to, and I agree with you at least 137%.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Heyyyyy... that phone number said "i'm sorry you're having trouble. Please call customer service."

FRANK IS A LIAR!!!

and for the record, I've never heard sexyback or anything else from that album. not listening to the radio is awesome!

come on now dudes, listen to the man's taste...click on that freesol link and listen to that garbage...he signed that as the debut release for the new STAX label wow, that man has really good ears....

Well, file me under "wait and see" for the time being.

Well, file me under "wait and see" for the time being.

I imagine he'd do a bang up version of 'Ma, He's Making Eyes at Me!'

• not listening to the radio is awesome!

not listening to commercial radio stations will make you smarter, better looking and your breath will be fresher.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I find when it comes to music its a lot more reasonable to wait until i actually hear something to hatt on it. But I mean yr psychic tendencies have held strong for you so far, since many of you will miss the (excellent) diddy and timberlake LPs because of some weird sexual insecurity that leads you to dismiss music as 'for women' or 'cunts' or 'beckys'

OK, I take your point, and for what it's worth, I agree with it up to a point. These days, anything with the merest whiff of "heritage" about it is up for grabs, and now that the Soulsville museum is finally open (wish it had been when I visited Memphis, but whatever), there's clearly a lot of work being done to establish Stax as a "brand". Now, much as I hate the notion of "branding", "brand awareness" and all that other shit, what we have here is, if nothing else, a musician who's a Memphis native getting involved with one of the most important names in Memphis music, and using it as a platform for local Memphis acts. The quality of this particular act aside, that's probably more in keeping with the spirit of the label than what we might have ended up with had Stax fallen into the hands of a bunch of disinterested venture capitalists, for example. If Timberlake were to sign off on an extensive trawl through the Stax archives which unearthed untold hidden gems (something which is long overdue imho), how would you or Funky16 feel about him then? Like I said, I'm gonna wait and see.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    the (excellent) diddy LP

I can't be the only one who feels like this album sounds disjointed. Or maybe it's just been too long since I've actually heard Diddy rhyme on a full track? His vocals sound so forced and deliberate.

I think it's also funny that he spent the past several months marketing himself as an icon of the hood and not the 'hills, with an album that sounds void of real street-savvy material compared to what else has been coming out lately.

? Or too just for it's own good?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I find when it comes to hamburgers its a lot more reasonable to wait until i actually eat something to hatt on it. But I mean yr rewarding experiences at backyard barbeques have held strong for you so far, since many of you will miss the (excellent) McDonalds Big Mac and Burger King Quarterpounder because of some weird thing called taste that leads you to dismiss hamburgers as for 'hurried idiots' or 'pigs' or 'slobs'

• If Timberlake were to sign off on an extensive trawl through the Stax archives which unearthed untold hidden gems (something which is long overdue imho), how would you or Funky16 feel about him then? Like I said, I'm gonna wait and see.

Depriving your brain of oxygen for extended periods of time by holding your breath can cause injury or death...i.e. don't...

"Booker who and the M whats???[/b]

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Heyyyyy... that phone number said "i'm sorry you're having trouble. Please call customer service." FRANK IS A LIAR!!!

I can't pay my bills anymore after getting fired from all my DJ gigs.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I find when it comes to hamburgers its a lot more reasonable to wait until i actually eat something to hatt on it. But I mean yr rewarding experiences at backyard barbeques have held strong for you so far, since many of you will miss the (excellent) McDonalds Big Mac and Burger King Quarterpounder because of some weird thing called taste that leads you to dismiss hamburgers as for 'hurried idiots' or 'pigs' or 'slobs'
    Harvey are you honestly telling me that you've never had a big mac or a burger king quarterpounder before? Or, like most people, did you like that shit when you were a kid cuz you got a toy and then got older and realized you'd rather have houston rap paraphanalia take the place of toys, which required going to some barbecues? Seriously the food comparison is facile as hell. A mcdonalds burger is exactly the same as every other mcdonalds burger but name me one album that sounds like either Timberlake album - sure the Prince and MJ influence is there but we're not talking about rehashing or anything.

I can't be the only one who feels like this album sounds disjointed. Or maybe it's just been too long since I've actually heard Diddy rhyme on a full track? His vocals sound so forced and deliberate.
    To me he's always sounded that way, and thats part of his (limited) appeal as a rapper. I mean like Brian said upthread his rapping sucks but thats not really news, is there anything less convincing than him talking about being shot at on No Way Out? I dont think so. I still like the song though! "He ordered cheese eggs and grits I had the swordfish." Its good!

I'm not a huge fan of the Pharoahe track actually, because Pharoahe's style doesn't translate as well as (biggies? black rob's?) does on "What You Gonna Do"

Diddy rhyme

While there are certainly worse MCs, Diddly takes the cake for picking up the mic over and over and over after it's pretty universally understood that he can't rhyme for shit. Not to mention that he has several other ways to make money and get attention.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Fine, so the Timberlake albums are unique[/b] terdburgers...with extra cheese.

You lost me too with that burger analogy, Harvey. I suggest you stick to moral relativism and lizards.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

At everyone of those backyard BBQs there are entire tables of kids who wish they were having Happy Meals. It will take them 20 years to have fond memories of those 'rewarding experiences' and even still they will eat more McDonald's than backyard bbq.

Not making a judgement, just stating the reality. Same with music...people like what they like.

the (excellent) diddy LP

People keep saying that he's improved as an MC, but to my ears he's actually devolved... and crossed the line into unlistenability.

the (excellent) diddy LP

People keep saying that he's improved as an MC, but to my ears he's actually devolved... and crossed the line into unlistenability.

Also: am I the only one that feels like some SoulStrut dudes may just be worried about missing the boat again and aren't really feeling Press Play quite as much as they profess to?

i.e., dudes slept on No Way Out (excellent) and Saga Continues (pretty good) and are ignoring what their ears are telling them because they don't want to be caught with their pants down a third time. I will probably listen to the album eventually, but I cannot imagine--based on the ~5 tracks I've heard thus far--that it will be any good.

If Timberlake were to sign off on an extensive trawl through the Stax archives which unearthed untold hidden gems (something which is long overdue imho), how would you or Funky16 feel about him then? Like I said, I'm gonna wait and see.

Depriving your brain of oxygen for extended periods of time by holding your breath can cause injury or death...i.e. don't...

"Booker who and the M whats???[/b]

See, now that's what I was talking about earlier. If people want to assume that, just because he used to be in N*Sync, he couldn't possibly know shit about Booker T. & The MG's, I can't stop them. But if anyone wanted to bet he didn't know shit about Booker T. & The MG's, I'd be willing to take that bet.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    the (excellent) diddy LP

Also: am I the only one that feels like some SoulStrut dudes may just be worried about missing the boat again and aren't really feeling Press Play quite as much as they profess to?

i.e., dudes slept on No Way Out (excellent) and Saga Continues (pretty good) and are ignoring what their ears are telling them because they don't want to be caught with their pants down a third time. I will probably listen to the album eventually, but I cannot imagine--based on the ~5 tracks I've heard thus far--that it will be any good.
    Oh its not as good as No Way Out but its more interesting than Saga and have you heard "Diddy Rock" yet?