The Purple Fox - I'm Confused!

CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Hi all!I got the Jeff Cooper & the Stoned Wings album a while back and loved every second of it, even the ridiculous singing, and after hearing the story behind it decided I would have to get the Purple Fox album.What I heard was that the Purple Fox "Sings and Plays" album was an instrumental record without the singing, and that it was the German dude calling himself Jeff Cooper who overdubbed the singing. But then I found the Purple Fox album about a week ago, and, besides the fact that it has more tracks on it than the Jeff Cooper record, it's still got the same dude singing.So what's the real deal? Was there ever an instrumental record, or is it all just a dream? Anyone know anything about this? - J

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    strange! a guy form the uk told me that purple fox was the original instrumental version.

is leo muller listed as composer?

maybe you should ask on vnylvulture. they should know.

• Yeah I know. I think Muller is credited, maybe there's YET another one? The vinylvulture review says there's singing on it though...

(Scroll to the middle)

http://www.vinylvulture.co.uk/labels_of_love/mullera.php

The cover of Foxee Lady is dope as hell though.

- J

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    there's no instrumental version then! what a shame! i was about to buy the purple fox lp as well. well, the singing/rapping isn't bad afterall. sorry, jor*nd!

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts
    Several of the tracks exist on other Stereo Gold Award albums minus the vocals ie the non covers like 'Gittin Busted' and 'Acid Test'. I think those two both feature on the Diane And The New Worlds album. Some of these tracks feature on several different SGA albums sometimes with overdubs and sometimes in their basic form. I don't think there are any instrumentals of the Hendrix covers but you never know in the world of Leo Muller.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Several of the tracks exist on other Stereo Gold Award albums minus the vocals ie the non covers like 'Gittin Busted' and 'Acid Test'. I think those two both feature on the Diane And The New Worlds album. Some of these tracks feature on several different SGA albums sometimes with overdubs and sometimes in their basic form. I don't think there are any instrumentals of the Hendrix covers but you never know in the world of Leo Muller.

What he said. I think you are confused because someone probably was saying the instrumentals on Purple Fox is where it's at.

• the instrumentals on Purple Fox is where it's at.

So true. "Git Some" =

Thanks for clearing that up.

- J

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Diane And The New Worlds.

This might be what you're looking for, J*r*nd. It's got an instrumental version of "Git Some", a couple of the same originals that are on the Jeff Cooper/Purple Fox LPs, as well as some additional instrumentals with a wee bit of .

And of course a handful of Motown cover versions that are completely unrelated, but you can just skip those.

• That Dianne and the New Worlds is the best one for me with 4 decent tracks. Features Steve Says (as used on Diplo's AEIOU 2) but his version has vocals and the Dianne one doesn't?

Gladys Knight & the Pips with guests Funky Junction (Stereo Gold Award) has non vocal versions of the two "Hendrix" tracks under different names.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    thanks for all the info! i need those instumental versions!

cosmophonic: sorry if i ever told you that purple fox was the instrumental version of the jeff cooper lp. i can't remember, but it might have been me.

• No worries, Grope; I think I might have to get a complete Purple Fox-afilliated collection now. I'm glad I'm living in England now, the "Sings and Plays" record was 5??!!

- J

• Diane And The New Worlds.

This might be what you're looking for, J*r*nd. It's got an instrumental version of "Git Some", a couple of the same originals that are on the Jeff Cooper/Purple Fox LPs, as well as some additional instrumentals with a wee bit of .

And of course a handful of Motown cover versions that are completely unrelated, but you can just skip those.

Intriguing. Does it get the Dejean "Stamp of Approval"? I'm positively surprised you still remember my name! It's been over a year since I was at your flat. What happened to Brazil?

- J