What's the SS verdict on DJ Shadow's outsider?

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Seriously... will this be the first shadow-related record ever to imediately decrease in value upon release? And I mean musically AND financially!

Comments

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i didnt think there was one good track on that record. the biggest terd of 2006.

• vhsvhs 18 Posts
    I haven't heard it, but it's waque.

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    i left my downloaded copy in a shopping cart at safeway after a quick skip through...

• At least as good as Banksy/Dangermouse Paris Hilton album, and possibly better than Aja. Put Trae on it and you'd have a new classic.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    At least as good as Banksy/Dangermouse Paris Hilton album, and possibly better than Aja. Put Trae on it and you'd have a new classic.

ROTFL COPTER

MARCONI DONE DA DA'D IT AGAIN

PS
    YOU ROCK

YOU ARE NOW RE-CHRISTENED AS

"SUPA CLON, DON DADA"

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I don't know but he looks like a tool in those LRG ads. But, hey he's getting paid so what ya gonna do but hate!

• usally, i buy ALL dj shadow records i see.
    i have almost 20 dj shadow records, and its only two of them i don't like, (the 10 inch collabo with keane, and the crunk 12 inch with fuckin turf talk and sneak da keak or something).

i have always buyed his records without hearing them first, because when i used to buy his shit, i was buying it because i knew that i was always going to go home, lay it on the turntable and hear the stuff that i like.

i buyed the turf talk and sneak da keak 12 inch on ebay, just because its an limited shadow record, i will never buy an new dj shadow record again (just got to keep up with the old stuff to fill up the records in my collection that i don't have yet.)

a friend of mine downloaded the new album, sent it to me, and i tried to like it, i've heard through the whole record at least seven times, and im sad to say that i don't like the shit that i hear.

i think: when you're making an album, just use your own basic style that you're known for, for this is the reason people is buying your records. don't try to make a little bit of every genre to please everyone, try yo please the people who already are fans, cause if you do this you will make shure they always buy your records (as i use to do).

and i don't think too many of this club balla crunk hustlin dj gunclap nigga playa ice rockin grill chewing crystal drankin coke sniffin crunk djs wanna buy his new records either.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Most everything I've heard is pure shite!
    So he alienates all his old fans, in a lame attempt
    to appeal to the hyphy crowd?
    Looks like career suicide to me...
    Anyone beg to differ?
    That song with Keek the Sneak is kinda
    bangin' in it's own way though.

• Seriously... will this be the first shadow-related record ever to imediately decrease in value upon release? And I mean musically AND financially!

i don't think that is the point with this record. seems to me that shadow is trying to cover his ass on this 2nd major label outing, seeing as though his first was an industry let down. the results are scary, yet understandable.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I'll gladly be the first person in this thread to somewhat defend it. Three freaks (original and remix) is sick, as well as the David Banner track, I also really like "This time". The song with Chris Martin is the best thing that dude has ever been involved in (not too difficult to snatch that title, I'll admit). Arguably, there's a few terds on it and it does not play well as an album at all, but ultimately I think there's more good songs on this than there were on the Private Press.

• snosno 332 Posts
    The song with Chris Martin is the best thing that dude has ever been involved in (not too difficult to snatch that title, I'll admit). Arguably, there's a few terds on it and it does not play well as an album at all, but ultimately I think there's more good songs on this than there were on the Private Press.

I think the tracks are sung by either Chris James or Chris Karloff. Although those tracks sound so much alike to Coldplay. I thought I was listening to some Coldplay shit when I got the MP3 leak.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    dood: fredfades is my new favorite strutter:
    and i don't think too many of this club balla crunk hustlin dj gunclap nigga playa ice rockin grill chewing crystal drankin coke sniffin crunk djs wanna buy his new records either.
    you obviously don't speak english as your first language but made such a STRONG effort to be "gangster extemporaneous" (that I'm sure I could never replicate in your language) that necessitates an SS official point of recognition.

As an aside, I agree with you, fredfades. I own all his shit and hated this album. He tried to be do many things and accomplished nothing. Gantsta or Downtempo, please choose or do it right.

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    Degenerate Art

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    "This Time I'm Gonna Do It My Way" is really nice imo!

That other instrumental track, with the chooped up acoustic guitar sample was nice too...

but thats about it for me.

maybe I'm too with hiphop nowadays ?

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    I was thinkin this might grow on me with more listens....but it hasnt.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    as someone else posted: scary, but understandable

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    didn't someone from the strut interview Josh recently?

too bad about the new cd and all but
    heck it doesn't matter.
    he will have instant gold /autoship #'s to Japan and europe
    enough to put his kids thru college and to keep ballin hot 45s on ebay