Recently got a radio show(promo related)

Ayrotollah77Ayrotollah77 415 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Gotta late night slot at a local collage radio station. I was wondering what me be the deal with promo joints these days. Any insight on where and how to go about gettin some treats for the "show"?

Comments

• I'm also curious about this subject.

My school only has an internet radio station, kinda weak. Would labels still send promos? And do you just contact labels yourself?

I guess I could just ask people I know that work their/have shows, but basically I'm just posting to say, ayrotolloh, you are not alone on your quest for free shit.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    most labels have people/companies that handle servicing. it helps if you report regularly to a trade/mag... top 5/10, reviews, adds.

be diligent about feedback and reporting and you'll do well.
    i'm not very good at either.

ps- you get a lot of crap that you might not necessarily be able to resell.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    the days of record companies sending out lavish ass promo items has gone the way of the dinosaurs... most labels go through promo companies like room service, spectre, fanatic, terrorbird etc so you may have to go through them. wouldnt your hip hop director or music director be the one you should be talking to? i wouldnt recommend going behind their back to get 'free' shit, unless your radio station is charting with cmj, rap attack or some other charting service, i doubt the labels will service you.

also, stations are ranked by output/range etc for example, wfmu is like a 6, most interent stations are 1's or 2's, that also affects servicing.

good luck.

• yeah see I only had some half-assed idea about how all that stuff worked...

thanks.

• Well its a pretty small station at a community college,i'm the only one playing hiphop,its a bi-weekly late night spot, so I don't know how much energy i'll put in as far promo shit, but I was thinkin there might be some good labels to contact as far as funk/soul/hiphop..None of the other people at the station seem to know shit..But thanks for the

• things might have changed, but i found that writing to whoever is currently sending the station promos and asking for more produces major results. now with emailing i'm sure its a lot less effort, but its probably also true that the people in charge are getting solicited by A LOT more people. whatever you do, make sure that your letterhead or email is affiliated with the station.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    asking for mp3's might be an easier route for you guys.
    easier for the label too

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    asking for mp3's might be an easier route for you guys.
    easier for the label too

yeah lots of labels are doing this now, sending mp3's is so much more cost efficient instead of sending out 20 singles for the new beyonce joint. which puts more work on the music director, having to dl it and burn it onto cd etc.

i would recommend talking with whoever handles the music stuff at your station and get the ok with him/her and then go from there. Be official about it, check to see if the station reports to cmj and other trade mags. try to get a section on your stations website for hip hop or whatever, post playlists, top 10's etc.

-rich

• Gotta late night slot at a local collage radio station. I was wondering what me be the deal with promo joints these days. Any insight on where and how to go about gettin some treats for the "show"?

I'm wondering the same thing. I actually had my first training session tonight. I've been contacting some labels and a few have responded positively so far. The others haven't gotten back to me yet.