Artistes everyone likes but you don't?

Comments

• With everybody on here simply trying to shock and one up each other I???m surprised nobody has said Curtis Mayfield, John Coltrane or Marvin Gaye.

• With everybody on here simply trying to shock and one up each other I???m surprised nobody has said Curtis Mayfield.

This is because people fear getting banned by Drewn!

• With everybody on here simply trying to shock and one up each other I???m surprised nobody has said Curtis Mayfield.

Perhaps, but people felt ok dissing Timbaland without fear of getting BAN by you.

Time for you to grow some teeth Castillo!

• Beatles (with the exception of abbey road)
    Sex pistols -- dont get it
    EVILS COSTELLO I HATE HIM SO MUCH
    Cat Power
    The doors
    ABout 90 percent of Reggae (that ive heard)
    About 90 percent of Crack rap (that ive heard)
    About 90 percent of Salsa (that ive heard)
    James taylor (i listen to gary marks)
    The smiths and Morrissey
    Jimmy Smith (90 percent, or when i saw him live a few times), RIP
    Ornette Coleman (when hes playing violin or the trumpet)
    radiohead
    eric clapton -- I hate him so much, which sucks cause I love to play "tears in heaven" on the guitar
    Almost all Joni Mitchel EXCEPT hissing of Summer Lawns or whatever its called
    Running out of vitrol, putting the hate back inside. i love everything.

• Dr.Dre [strike]w/ M&M and 50[/strike]

Timbo output definitley is R&B heavy. His Missy/ Aaliyah/Genuwine stuff shapes his career.

Haha... Please.

Dre's work during the past decade hasn't even come close to reshaping the paradigm of rap production the way Tim's has. That's not to say that some of it hasn't been great, but let's be serious. We are talking about very good versus completely game-changing.

This is funny... Without Dre there would be no Tim... sorry.. With Dre you are pretty much gauranteed a hip-hop hit, with Timbo... hit or miss.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Dr.Dre [strike]w/ M&M and 50[/strike]

Timbo output definitley is R&B heavy. His Missy/ Aaliyah/Genuwine stuff shapes his career.

Haha... Please.

Dre's work during the past decade hasn't even come close to reshaping the paradigm of rap production the way Tim's has. That's not to say that some of it hasn't been great, but let's be serious. We are talking about very good versus completely game-changing.
    This is funny... Without Dre there would be no Tim... sorry.. With Dre you are pretty much gauranteed a hip-hop hit, with Timbo... hit or miss.

I do not disagree that without Dre there might not be a Tim.

But that startlingly original observation has nothing to do with anything anyone has said in this thread.

We are talking about the past ten years.

Now if you are going to respond to my posts, pleae do me the courtesy of actually reading them first.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    With everybody on here simply trying to shock and one up each other I???m surprised nobody has said Curtis Mayfield.

Yuh hurd meh?!

Do not tet.

I will be quick to jump down somebody's throat.

Perhaps, but people felt ok dissing Timbaland without fear of getting BAN by you.

Time for you to grow some teeth Castillo!

They think I'm soft for changing my avatar.

I think we can be diplomatic in discussing Timbaland, since his catalog may not be as easily accessible as Mayfield's. Plus it's just HarveyCanal being his usual self.

Haha... Please.

But that startlingly original observation has nothing to do with anything anyone has said in this thread.

Now if you are going to respond to my posts, pleae do me the courtesy of actually reading them first.

actually jackass it has eerything to do with the last ten years by YOUR judgemental standards that you created. Not only would tim not exist, but without actually looking album for album, Dre probably has more hits and bigger sales than Timbaland and Dre is probably the single biggest hand in reshaping hip-hop/rap music to being more mainstream than anyone out. There is a reason that both Eminem and 50cent signed with Dre and in return that they were probably two of the biggest selling acts ever and are both now their own Entity outside of hip-hop. Timbaland has yet to cross that type of thresh-hold.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    God speaking of overrated, fucking Eminem. I can't even listen to the shit I used to like any more.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Timbaland has yet to cross that type of thresh-hold.

That's if you consider her an MC.

Timbo launched her career.

• Timbaland has yet to cross that type of thresh-hold.

That's if you consider her an MC.

Timbo launched her career.

ok I'll conceed missy... but still she is not even on the same level as 50cent and eminem, and as far as targeting the crossover audience and really capturing it. Tim still hasn't done it even though alot of his shit is dope a hell.

Let me put it this way. I can sell a CD by letting the buyer know Dre did production, I can't sell it on Timbaland production...

However if we want to talk about R&B... Dre can't touch Tim.

• Dr.Dre w/ M&M and 50

Haha... Please.

where's the fan-boy graemlin?

Timbaland has yet to cross that type of thresh-hold.

ok I'll conceed missy... but still she is not even on the same level as 50cent and eminem, and as far as targeting the crossover audience and really capturing it.

C'mon dogs, MISSY is str8 mainstream like Janet Jackson and shit. 50, marshall mathers & missy share the same demograph. My mom knows who all three are.

They all have sneaker deals.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Dr.Dre w/ M&M and 50

Haha... Please.

where's the fan-boy graemlin?

Someone should make one,but a cheerleadiing one will suffice for now.

Haha... Please.

<s>This is funny... Without Dre there would be no Tim... sorry.. With Dre you are pretty much gauranteed a hip-hop hit, with Timbo... hit or miss. </s>

actually jackass it has eerything to do with the last ten years by YOUR judgemental standards that you created. Not only would tim not exist, but without actually looking album for album, Dre probably has more hits and bigger sales than Timbaland and Dre is probably the single biggest hand in reshaping hip-hop/rap music to being more mainstream than anyone out. There is a reason that both Eminem and 50cent signed with Dre and in return that they were probably two of the biggest selling acts ever and are both now their own Entity outside of hip-hop. Timbaland has yet to cross that type of thresh-hold.

man you sound pretty aggo dude. we're just talking about music.

Timbaland makes dope beats.
    Dre makes good beats, but I haven't heard anything in the last 10 years that has been remarkable, but I dismiss that as an issue of personal taste. NWA-hay-day-Dre was the shit. Nothing absolutely ground-breaking but it was still extremely dope shit. Dope samples. Timbaland would exist without Dre, because he's from a whole other planet. It doesn't seem that Timb pulls his inspiration from other hip-hop producers anyway. Dre is straight ahead, and to my ears predictable. Timb is doing something unique and provides many more breakface moments. Eh. Much easier to just say apples and oranges, and I like oranges a lot better.

• Timbaland has yet to cross that type of thresh-hold.

ok I'll conceed missy... but still she is not even on the same level as 50cent and eminem, and as far as targeting the crossover audience and really capturing it.

C'mon dogs, MISSY is str8 mainstream like Janet Jackson and shit. 50, marshall mathers & missy share the same demograph. My mom knows who all three are.

They all have sneaker deals.

close but I would disagree... Em and 50cent are both Brands/Industries at this point that really can attribute mot of that success to Dre... The key is how much they diversified after they reached that peak and at this point:

Major Film releases - Starring roles
    Shoe Deals
    Clothing lines
    Major Label Imprints
    Video Game (50 cent)
    Autobiography Book (50 cent)

Missy?

Hit records...
    Appeared in some movies
    Shoe Deal

anything i am missing?

All of which in the end can be attributed pretty much to Dre. If those albums flopped because of the production the above would not have happened.

Comparing apples to apples... Dre is by far the go to game changer in the industry.

Dre makes good beats, but I haven't heard anything in the last 10 years that has been remarkable, but I dismiss that as an issue of personal taste. NWA-hay-day-Dre was the shit. Nothing absolutely ground-breaking but it was still extremely dope shit. Dope samples. Timbaland would exist without Dre, because he's from a whole other planet. It doesn't seem that Timb pulls his inspiration from other hip-hop producers anyway. Dre is straight ahead, and to my ears predictable. Timb is doing something unique and provides many more breakface moments. Eh. Much easier to just say apples and oranges, and I like oranges a lot better.

What has Timberland made within HIP HOP recently that's "groundbreaking"?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Like her or not though, Missy is a pretty creative rapper. She is probably one of the most talented female MCs ever. Pretty bold statement, but she's pretty wild. I dig her.

And its impossible to not like Curtis, no matter who you are, simply because he is one of the greatest musical masters to ever walk the earth. EVAR.

Haha... Please.

not aggo, just calling his revisionist remark it like I read it. And it was that of a... Jackass.

Timbaland Game Changing Dre just very good??? serious?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Dude

I'm the guy who likes Chronic 2001 > the original Chronic, but nonetheless Dre hasn't been PARADIGMSHIFTINGDEFININGPRODUCEROFHISERA since the o.g. Chronic/Doggystyle era. He remains consistent and GREAT but Timbaland is to the late 90s and early 00s what Dre was to the early 90s.

Dude

I'm the guy who likes Chronic 2001 > the original Chronic, but nonetheless Dre hasn't been PARADIGMSHIFTINGDEFININGPRODUCEROFHISERA since the o.g. Chronic/Doggystyle era. He remains consistent and GREAT but Timbaland is to the late 90s and early 00s what Dre was to the early 90s.

Besides his collabs w/ Jay-Z what else from Timbo is paradigm shifting within HipHOP?

Last 10 years of Local Black Experience music has been.................

Haha... Please.

<s>This is funny... Without Dre there would be no Tim... sorry.. With Dre you are pretty much gauranteed a hip-hop hit, with Timbo... hit or miss. </s>

not aggo, just calling his revisionist remark it like I read it. And it was that of a... Jackass.

Whatever dude. I'm talking anything I've heard in the past 10 years. If you like it, good for you

but I dismiss that as an issue of personal taste.

For the record, I never said anyone 'changed the game'. Don't try that shit on me. I just said Tim is coming from a whole different angle.

• Missy?

Hit records...
    Appeared in some movies
    Shoe Deal

anything i am missing?

Perhaps the fact that Missy wrote (and published) pretty much every R&B hit of the '90s?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    have you already forgotten the post-Timbo everyone-bites-timbo beat era? I know the everyone bites Lil Jon/chipmunk era has erased all previous years from yr minds but seriously, all the rap producers were doing 'syncopated bounce' tracks back back then then. Uhh Timbo did beats for lots of people, not just jay-z i.e. ruff ryders, Missy, his own people (bubba & petey pab), Ludacris, Nas, Pastor Troy, Snoop, Lil Kim, Cee Lo, etc.

But his impact on rap was so much more than the rap artists he played for; alongside swizz and mannie he basically destroyed the era of breakbeats, and of those three he was the only one who messed that much with rhythmic syncopation. Obv his R&B productions are wrapped up in all this - i'd argue they influenced the rap production world even though they weren't themselves hip-hop tracks.

• Man I got clowned on for deigning to discuss "that which is 'game-changing'".

Still, I can't believe someone had to take it to Jimi. C'mon man. It's Jimi!!!

• have you already forgotten the post-Timbo everyone-bites-timbo beat era? I know the everyone bites Lil Jon/chipmunk era has erased all previous years from yr minds but seriously, all the rap producers were doing 'syncopated bounce' tracks back back then then. Uhh Timbo did beats for lots of people, not just jay-z i.e. ruff ryders, Missy, his own people (bubba & petey pab), Ludacris, Nas, Pastor Troy, Snoop, Lil Kim, Cee Lo, etc.

But his impact on rap was so much more than the rap artists he played for; alongside swizz and mannie he basically destroyed the era of breakbeats, and of those three he was the only one who messed that much with rhythmic syncopation. Obv his R&B productions are wrapped up in all this - i'd argue they influenced the rap production world even though they weren't themselves hip-hop tracks.

spot on.

we need to facilitate a Chicago Tall Boys & Timbaland Twelves night in the near future.

It's funny that people get more heated on Timbaland hate than they do the Beatles.

Just goes to show that Timbaland is far greater than the Beatles.

Haha... Please.

Whatever dude. I'm talking anything I've heard in the past 10 years. If you like it, good for you

For the record, I never said anyone 'changed the game'. Don't try that shit on me. I just said Tim is coming from a whole different angle.

I never said you did. I was, as I noted above referencing Faux Rills' comment and basing my argument on his line of what he considers good ie. radio ie. sales ie. popular with the kids. and I would say hands down that Dre takes the crown with ease. But if you want to get into personal taste I agree, Timbaland has alway been more interesting in his beat construction and at least his initial ability to come with a different sound. However that was not what was noted in quote above.

And yeh Missy had a huge influence in pushing R&B to the state that it is, but again my points as I conceded above are strictly regarding hip-hop which was the initial post. And again hip-hop track for hip-hop track and hip-hop album for hip-hop album i would say the fact that Dre is able to take Eminem and 50Cent from relative nobodies as far as the CROSSOVER audience is concerned and give them the ability to create industries around their name far outweighs Tim. Just sayin.

And really if we want to go with interesting production beign the baeline Iw ould throw Neptune' production in the ring too... In the last 10 years they have come close to pretty much running the game...

Haha... Please.

I never said you did. I was, as I noted above referencing Faux Rills' comment and basing my argument on his line of what he considers good ie. radio ie. sales ie. popular with the kids. and I would say hands down that Dre takes the crown with ease. But if you want to get into personal taste I agree, Timbaland has alway been more interesting in his beat construction and at least his initial ability to come with a different sound. However that was not what was noted in quote above.

And yeh Missy had a huge influence in pushing R&B to the state that it is, but again my points as I conceded above are strictly regarding hip-hop which was the initial post. And again hip-hop track for hip-hop track and hip-hop album for hip-hop album i would say the fact that Dre is able to take Eminem and 50Cent from relative nobodies as far as the CROSSOVER audience is concerned and give them the ability to create industries around their name far outweighs Tim. Just sayin.

And really if we want to go with interesting production beign the baeline Iw ould throw Neptune' production in the ring too... In the last 10 years they have come close to pretty much running the game...
    I can dig that. Dre is a marketing machine, and I respect him on that level. But I will be playing Timbaland instrumentals over listening to Eminem, and I'm sure that goes for both of us. I concern myself more with the musical end of things, and when discussing music, I tend to focus solely on the content within rather than what's wrapped around it.

On the subject of the Neptunes, they had some cool shit, but are not on the same level. I think their well ran dry pretty fast.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Dr.Dre [strike]w/ M&M and 50[/strike]

Haha... Please.

So you agree with me but nonetheless want to get ass-hurt over things that I've never actually said but that you fantasize that I might privately think?

Dre is obviously more impressive as a businessman and as a shaper of images than Tim is. I don't think anyone would dispute that. Happy?