Artistes everyone likes but you don't?

Comments

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

oh

my

god.

Do you even like soul music? My man, plaese to explain.

I love soul music. I just don't like anything I've heard of his, and I've heard a lot! I don't mind his voice, I just can't get into the music. I know I'm probably alone on this but that's what this thread is all about, no? Anyone can say The Beatles or The Stones, let's tell the truth now people, mkay!

BAN!

• question: who cares?

• Nina Simone-- I just don't like her vocal style, although I can deal with "Baltimore", "See Line Woman" (although I prefer Yusef Lateef's version) and "African Mailman", which is an instrumental.

Tricky, although I'm not sure anyone likes him anymore. He sure had a vogue, though.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Tupac

Amen. I thought I was alone in this world, now I am free.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I'll post a list of unfuckwitable Prince songs when I get home. There was a time when I didn't like Prince, then I listened to his entire (released) catalog and realized that he is freakin' the man.

My Dad HATES Prince and we've had many hilarious arguments about it.

• All groups mentioned exept for the Beatles, Prince and Pink Floyd. Possibly also Depeche Mode but I wouldn't classify them as a group that "everybody likes."

Oh god, there was this group with a hit called "God Is a DJ." Everybody bought that CD. But it's so incredibly bad.

• He don't have to explain shit - you're the one that dissed the Beatles and Prince...

WAIT

FOR

IT

• I can deal with "Baltimore"

Randy Newman apologist!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    i don't really think that Tom Waits is a genius, but a lot of people do.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    will someone plaes to get rid of that dude who posted the 1,000 jpegs. He was pulling that dumb shit on our board a while back too.

• Honkey

he had a different name on waxidermy. Equally retarded, but different.

• i don't really think that Tom Waits is a genius, but a lot of people do.

I've never "gotten" Tom Waits either. I know his hearts in the right place, but I can't listen to him sing.

Immediate ban for anyone dissing the Beatles or Dylan. Plaese....

• I can deal with "Baltimore"

Randy Newman apologist!

I am this (i'll admit I actually even like some of the shit he did for children's films of:)

But I also happen like most of Simone's catalog.

I would partially co-sign on Sly...while I love his great songs there is a LOT of filler.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Nina Simone-- I just don't like her vocal style.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    And I know I'm gonna catch untold hell for daring to say this, but...Prince.

I was going to mention Prince, too. I'll never say that he's Bad Music - he's just not my thing. Perhaps I need to hear more, but after re-listening to a 3CD Prince set, I can say that only Raspberry Beret - a relatively kitchy song, at that - is unscathed in my mind. But I don't like most modern soul or boogie, either. So what do I know?

Anyone dissing Otis Redding or Curtis Mayfield, as always, can kiss my beautiful white ass. And how can anyone on this board say that they Don't like any Sly and the Family? What the fuck? Not even stuff like In Time? Family Affair? Jesus.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Nina Simone-- I just don't like her vocal style.

It's the inflection, damn it. At least try listening to latter-days-of-RCA Nina to get you started. Like "It Is Finished 1974."

I can deal with "Baltimore"

Randy Newman apologist!

I am this

"12 songs" is a ridiculously good album.

• psyche!

But Rilly:

and

and

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I agree with the Jeezy.

• naw see I LOVE the good Sly songs, LOVE them...but there's a lot of stuff that just doesn't excite me, simply that.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I don't get what people see in The Pixies.

Sike.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Artists I'll have to agree about:
    Prince
    Pink Floyd
    Dylan
    White Stripes

Although I think most would acknowledge that they all have at least one "classic" song.

Im really going to have to take exception with these picks:
    Marley
    Sly
    Neil Young
    Nina Simone
    Beatles
    The Doors

Artists I dont think qualify as people "everyone likes"
    Massive Attack
    Depeche Mode
    Tom Waits
    God Is a DJ (!?!?!)
    Tricky
    the Fall

These are all niche

And finally, while I can understand not feeling his vocal style and some of the schlocky shit he's done, i present this as evidence of Randy Newmans songwriting prowess, one of the most sardonic and biting satirists in music. Front on me now!

• I haven't heard too much Prince, but I thought he was okay. Then my boy played "P Control" for me. Shit is raw. Played it at a party and had people jumping off the wall. It also didn't hurt that it came after "Gimme That Nutt". Purple Rain is a great movie as well. His ripoff James Brown dance moves are still ill to me.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    everyone listed in this thread is overrated except for 2pac

• everyone listed in this thread is overrated even 2pac

• oh c'mon...just respect what an artist does; you don't have to LIKE it. just understand that they have a voice, make some choices, and like most good artists, you won't agree with all of them.

• This thread was destined for greatness. Just from the title you can tell you're in for plenty of double-take worthy material, an abundance of hatt, and unusually high levels of ass-hurtedness. Let's keep this going people...

I would like to add:

U2 - Seriously, what a worthless fucking band. Mawkish bunch of talentless hacks.
    Dave Matthews Band - See above.
    Sigur Ros - Ibid
    Cold Play - Ibid...Are these all the same band?

Grateful Dead
    Phish (d'uh)
    Monkees
    99% of 'The ______' indie bands out there.

Now that the gears are turning, I'm realizing just how many bands there are out there that I generally dislike. I feel like I'm getting an ephemeral glimpse into the world of professional hatteurs...it's kind of liberating.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    U2 - Seriously, what a worthless fucking band. Mawkish bunch of talentless hacks.

If their entire catalogue is taken into account, I'm going to have to disagree with 7-8% of this. And although it's as overplayed as all Marley, Achtung is a good album. Haven't listened to it or U2 willingly in about 8-9 years, but still.

Monkees

You are not human. Plus, The Porpoise Song - too-late cash-in as it was - is still a good number.