FREE MONEY!

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Well, kinda. If you're a musician whose band is on this list, that is...http://63.236.111.137/jsp/unpaidArtistList.jspFrom the FAQ:What royalties does SoundExchange administer?SoundExchange collects and distributes royalties from statutory licenses, including:Digital cable and satellite television services (Music Choice and Muzak) Noninteractive "webcasters" (including original programmers and retransmissions of FCC-licensed radio stations by aggregators) Satellite radio services (XM and SIRIUS) I'm already a member of ASCAP, BMI or SESAC. Don't they cover this for me? How is this different from ASCAP, BMI or SESAC?No. ASCAP, BMI and SESAC represent a different copyright than SoundExchange. ASCAP, BMI and SESAC collect performance revenue for the owners of the copyrighted musical work (the song), i.e. music publishers, songwriters and composers. SoundExchange collects performance revenue for owners of the sound recording copyright (the recording), and for featured and nonfeatured artists. SoundExchange, therefore, performs a different function and does not compete with ASCAP, BMI or SESAC. In fact, a company with both publishing ("song") copyrights and recording copyrights should join collecting societies administering both types of rights: one for the song and another for the sound recording copyright. I used to work for a company in the UK that performed a similar service. The amounts we paid out, particularly to session players, were not insignificant. Back then, there wasn't a US equivalent, so I guess this is a relatively new enterprise. I'm sure many of you guys know someone who could benefit from this resource, so pass it on.

Comments