Nice & Smooth Appreciation Post

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    NO DOUBT. That track on the T La Rock LP is

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

One of the greatest rap records ever made.

Two of the greatest entertainers to grace a stage.

Made so many killer jams.

Greg Nice steals the stage even as a hype man (for the Beatnuts)

Who disses Nice & Smooth? Suckers, that's who!

Classic material. Damn Jonny, we agree on something!

"Kickin' wicked rhymes like a fortune teller
    Had a dog by the name of ole' yeller
    Ole' yeller had a fiendish plot
    Schemed and dreamed for me to make a knot
    Ever since then booties clock me like Big Ben
    As I go on to get more
    Got more song than a record store..."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Nice & Smooth are

This raer GAMM track from Red Astaire also used vocals from Nice and it's

• "...this is how we take, the old from the new, the new from the old, the old from the new!...."

Nice and Smooth were with that jam.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    "...this is how we take, the old from the new, the new from the old, the old from the new!...."

Nice and Smooth were with that jam.

That's probably my favourite tune of theirs. Nice and Smooth are always good value.

• "Kickin' wicked rhymes like a fortune teller
    Had a dog by the name of ole' yeller
    Ole' yeller had a fiendish plot
    Schemed and dreamed for me to make a knot
    Ever since then booties clock me like Big Ben
    As I go on to get more
    Got more song than a record store..."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    Baby doll, you know what I'm sayin'...

Hell yeah! Nice And Smooth=Classic Material.

I remember when I was in the 5th or 6th grade, the school band played Hip Hop Junkies in some recital/pep rally type event. That schitt felt like a concert after they played it.

• I used to play "Funky for You" *all the time* and it always got a nice reaction. It's one of those records that people just kind of forget about, but they seemed to be pleased when you remind them of it.

Speaking of, why haven't I encoded that one yet for my microwave? Gotta do that tonight.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    nice appreciation, I'm pretty sure Greg Nice is a clinically proven method to beat depression.

Also a dope morning show guest... I found his presence on the Hot 97 morning show one day last month more effective than drinking coffeee.

• whilst drinking a few cheap beers last night and lurking in this thread I threw this remix together using the Will.I.Am "Keep Bouncing" beat...

• Damn, that works N-I-C-E-ly! The drop out/in around 1:30 is great.

I forgot about that acapella (does yours sound like it's peakin' a little?). I used to always drop it over the Sunshine Andersen "Heard It All Before" instrumental (the OG, not that cool remix you play). It would probably sound great over lots of stuff.

• Now countries at war, little kids cry rape

Some lyin, dyin, cryin, pullin on my cape

Massive meltdown, bring the red tape!!!!!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Make sure you get it on cd, though (sorry, soulstrut)--the "No Bones" remix is non-negotiable.

Please somebody upload this song for me.

• whilst drinking a few cheap beers last night and lurking in this thread I threw this remix together using the Will.I.Am "Keep Bouncing" beat...

Nice job! Now I have to guy and buy the 12" - is that Snoop or Too $hort record?

• Options
    Greg Nice is really that dude. Back in the early '90s a good friend of mine's sister was going to Fordham in the Bronx, she would go to clubs and became friendly with G.Nice and a few other of the bigger names at the time. Make a long story short (especially since I don't know the details anymore) Greg Nice and some of them dudes chipped in and bought this kid his first turntables.

Nice and Smooth always takes me back, if you were growing up in the late '80's early 90's house party/young-kid-in-the-club era you can't deny them at all unless you were standing on the side waiting for Def Leppard songs.

• ahhhhhh. effervesence.

I had to leave Smooth B's verse off my mix

• ahhhhhh. effervesence.

I had to leave Smooth B's verse off my mix

yeah, i played the first LP for someone once who had never heard them and he was trying to clown. dude just clowned himself (although smoothe b has dropped some clunkers). he just couldnt understand greg nice..."he aint making any sense that shit sounds like nursery rhymes". dude, take your mouth off and hide your head.

no one mentioned "early to rise"?????? that shit is classic!!!!
    what about "dope not hype"???? madnessss!!!
    funky for you is legendary. and they were smoking phillies on the cover!! haha.

down the line had that crazy bass drop right after bas blasta started rhyming. plus preacher earl!!!! considered a superstar!!!

i liked jewel of the nile a bit. i'll never forget reginald dennis in the source said, "people need to line up and buy two or three copies of this" hahaha
    they had a pretty good song that sampled white rabbit.

greg nice is that

• They're the Dipset of their era. Rappers that are so bad they're brilliant.

• greg nice is that

• They're the Dipset of their era. Rappers that are so bad they're brilliant.

You just played yourself.

• no one mentioned "early to rise"?????? that shit is classic!!!!

oooops, just saw the youtube video.....absolutely classic ( and quite ghey)

• yeah, i played the first LP for someone once who had never heard them and he was trying to clown. dude just clowned himself (although smoothe b has dropped some clunkers). he just couldnt understand greg nice..."he aint making any sense that shit sounds like nursery rhymes". dude, take your mouth off and hide your head.

Man, I used to always hear these fake ass rap sap suckers tryin' to dis Greg N-I-C-E back in the days, sayin' that same schitt about his simple ass rhymes and "why he always got that echo on his voice??? I hate that schitt!!!" Look, plain and simple- Greg Nice is the essence of what hip hop, i.e. THAT REAL SCHITT, is truly all about (now watch the no-real-knowledge-having hatteurs jump up and try to clown that statement... f**k y'all batches, it's the truth). Actually, I'll give the hatteurs a break- all this love for Nice & Smooth on soulstrut is actually an excellent look (and very unexpected).

Now, I could also spread some interesting rumors that I heard way back from numerous parties (including my homie that grew up in the BX with "big head Greg", as he called him), but I ain't one to gossip so you ain't gon' hear that from me. I learned my lesson from the Pete Rock / Large Pro / T.R.O.Y. beat controversy.

• His "Set it off" indie joint from like 96 is reaaaaaaal dope as well.

• DOPE. Smooth B is on that joint! I think that's prolly his illest verse ever.

"Rap czar, superstar

No limitation in my life and I'm known to go far

Live in the Bronx upon a street called Marion

Girls on the block call me a black Blake Carrington

Handsome as hell, I dress real swell

By the tone of my voice maybe you can tell that I

shampoo with Prell and live life well

When I pass you on the street it's like I fell, ya smell

I'm gonna let you know that I'm divine competition

When I give a show don't front just pay admission

to see, the greatest rapper that will ever perform

cause this is, a rap attack not a quiet storm

Went downtown to meet my girl

Light brown dimples and natural curls

Got to her school, what did I see?

Some onionhead brother tryin to talk to my G

I said, "I beg your pardon, no need for alarm

but I am the man with finesse and charm"

A man of good nature, no quiver or qualm

Didn't wanna have to do the boy no bodily harm

Told him Sylvie is the girl that I came to pick up

and if he kept talkin to her he'd be pressin his luck

He said, "I'm sorry Smooth B, I didn't recognize

Didn't recollect nor did I realize

that she was your girl, but it's no surprise

cause when it comes to cutie pies you win first prize"

So I thanked him for the compliment then stepped off

Grabbed my girl, and jumped in my ride and broke north

Took her uptown so we could make love

Cause while she's in school I'm all she thinks of

Smooth B, the only MC

that's guaranteed to be free cause I posess the key, c'mon"

Look, plain and simple- Greg Nice is the essence of what hip hop, i.e. THAT REAL SCHITT, is truly all about (now watch the no-real-knowledge-having hatteurs jump up and try to clown that statement... f**k y'all batches, it's the truth).

I know you enjoy feeling embattled, Phill, but this is not exactly a controversial statement... I think everybody recognizes them as a 100% classic group.

• Look, plain and simple- Greg Nice is the essence of what hip hop, i.e. THAT REAL SCHITT, is truly all about (now watch the no-real-knowledge-having hatteurs jump up and try to clown that statement... f**k y'all batches, it's the truth).

I know you enjoy feeling embattled, Phill, but this is not exactly a controversial statement... I think everybody recognizes them as a 100% classic group.

Aw, damn... you done figgered my whole schtick out! You're not as dumb as you sound 1/2 the time, faux. You soulstrut people are very hard to figure out, though. I guess those classic groups are fine as long as they stay in their place of the past, and any more current artists with a sound that carries on that tradition have no place anywhere? Could that be the soulstrut thinking? Not trying to turn this into a predictable argument or anything, just trying to gain a better understanding. I'm old, and I want to learn

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Selling unreleased vintage recordings for a hundred bucks a 12 is the 27th element of that real schitt

• Selling unreleased vintage recordings for a hundred bucks a 12 is the 27th element of that real schitt

Works for me!
    You have a cool avatar.

I guess those classic groups are fine as long as they stay in their place of the past, and any more current artists with a sound that carries on that tradition have no place anywhere?

Carrying on the tradition shouldn't equal emulating the sound, though--not when part of the tradition is innovation.

I like to think I'm into the best hip-hop of every era, and Nice & Smooth were definitely among the best of their era.

For what it's worth, I definitely wouldn't want them to fade into the past, either; while I'm not really checking for a new recording, they're on the very short list of rap groups that I would still pay money to see perform.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Selling unreleased vintage recordings for a hundred bucks a 12 is the 27th element of that real schitt

Works for me!

Hey, I ain't mad! Get that yaper

Just let me DL those tracks

You have a cool avatar.

LOL, I have avatars off so I didn't even know I was a biter

• I guess those classic groups are fine as long as they stay in their place of the past, and any more current artists with a sound that carries on that tradition have no place anywhere?

Carrying on the tradition shouldn't equal emulating the sound, though--not when part of the tradition is innovation.

Can you name an example of a more current artist who, in your opinion, carries or carried on the traditional sound yet was / is not emulating it?