Beat Biters - Define plaese?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I was doing a bit of research on the MC Lyte/Antoinette beef and from what I can figure, Lyte went at Antoinette because Hurby Luv Bug chopped up "Impeach the President" for one of Antoinette's songs...just as Audio 2 had done for "Top Billin'." The thing is though...sure, both artists used the same break, but the two beats don't sound a damn thing alike. They're chopped differently. So why was Lyte calling out, "beat biters...you ain't nothing but a faker"? Was it not cool to even use the same sample source as someone else BITD?Phil - maybe you can weigh in on this?

Comments

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    I was doing a bit of research on the MC Lyte/Antoinette beef and from what I can figure, Lyte went at Antoinette because Hurby Luv Bug chopped up "Impeach the President" for one of Antoinette's songs...just as Audio 2 had done for "Top Billin'."

The thing is though...sure, both artists used the same break, but the two beats don't sound a damn thing alike. They're chopped differently. So why was Lyte calling out, "beat biters...you ain't nothing but a faker"? Was it not cool to even use the same sample source as someone else BITD?

Phil - maybe you can weigh in on this?

I think it's more of a style issue than a "you used my break" thing. It's similiar to when Shan went after L.L. for supposedly biting Marley's drums from "Marley Marl Scratch" on "I Need a Beat". There was a much greater chance BITD of getting your card pulled if you were perceived as not coming original than these days.

• EscalanteEscalante 197 Posts
    I was doing a bit of research on the MC Lyte/Antoinette beef and from what I can figure, Lyte went at Antoinette because Hurby Luv Bug chopped up "Impeach the President" for one of Antoinette's songs...just as Audio 2 had done for "Top Billin'."

The thing is though...sure, both artists used the same break, but the two beats don't sound a damn thing alike. They're chopped differently. So why was Lyte calling out, "beat biters...you ain't nothing but a faker"? Was it not cool to even use the same sample source as someone else BITD?

Phil - maybe you can weigh in on this?

I think it's more of a style issue than a "you used my break" thing. It's similiar to when Shan went after L.L. for supposedly biting Marley's drums from "Marley Marl Scratch" on "I Need a Beat". There was a much greater chance BITD of getting your card pulled if you were perceived as not coming original than these days.

Too bad nowadays anything goes...