Recording goofs

ladydayladyday 623 Posts
edited March 2016 in Music Talk
You know, those moments in songs that you listen for that are not part of the song, like mistakes, miscues or other randomness caught on tape.I always listen for that part on "Fingertips, Pt. 2" right after the false ending when Stevie starts up again, you can hear one of the musicians shout "What key? What key?"

I also love when Ella Fitzgerald breaks into a laugh on "It Don't Mean a Thing". That always makes me smile.

And the end of the Who's "Happy Jack" when Townsend yells at Keith Moon "I saw ya!" I've heard different accounts as to what he was referring to there.

What's yours?

Comments

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Recently noticed a curious edit on Blackbyrd's "Wilford's Gone" where it just skips 3 bars, near the beginning. Didn't make any melodic sense.

• There's a part in 'If I Fell' by the Beatles where McCartney's voice breaks like he's starting to laugh.

• the f-bomb in "Louie Louie" is still my all time favorite.

there's some weird noise in the middle of "Just My Imagination" that sounds like someone stepping on a light bulb, I've always wondered what was up with that.

also there's a bit of a false start in the middle of "There Goes My Baby" but Ben E. covers it well...unless it's supposed to be like that.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Kurious clears his throat in the beginning of "Leave Ya With This". Don't know why they kept it instead of punching his vocals in later.

• I notice quite a bit of goofs, even on that Curtis Live LP there was some editing... I actually like when that happens, it just shows that people ain't perfect and it's raw!!! I love it... I thought I heard some weird edits on the 1st Kool & the Gang LP... I actually think theirs a lot...

• My clear favorite is on Solomon Burke's "Got to Get You Off of My Mind," there are these great "Hey Hey Hey" backing vocals that come up after ever other couplet. On like the second or third verse, one of the singers launches into two of the "Hey Heys" before she realizes she's singing alone and clams up. If you haven't heard it, crank it up and check it out. Hilarious.

I also love it on the Beastie Boy's "Girls" how at one point you can hear the guys cracking up while they're doing the "Bah bah bhas" in the background.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    not really a goof, maybe on the engineers part, but on skull snap's didnt i do it to you, he fades it out when they are gettin loose and then brings it up

i guess dude realized them fools were doin it and he faded out too early

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    the keyboardist hits some bad notes in lenny kravitz's "it ain't over" i think during the solo, or some instrumental break. leaps out at me er'time.

• on the Notorious BIG's "Who Shot Ya" you can hear Biggie telling the enginer how to set the levels in his headphones

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    how about "knockin round the zoo"? not necessarily a goof but tons of engineer-speak..

• not a goof, but michael jackson crying at the end of "she's out of my life" =

• this page gets pretty in depth about any Beatles screw ups, and there seems to be alot of them, shit still sounds damn good to me. Beatles Anomaly List

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    this page gets pretty in depth about any Beatles screw ups, and there seems to be alot of them, shit still sounds damn good to me. A HREF="http://www.stevesbeatles.com/wgo/list.asp">Beatles Anomaly List/A>

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    michael jackson 2600 crying at the end of "she's out of my life"
    Don't even try to front, money. Litterthugz need Litterhugz.

(Poll: Did your girl Janet "dilute the brand," though, by crying at the end of "Again"? I think she did maybe a little.)

Lotsa Wu stuff: Method Man trying to get the timing right at the start of "C.R.E.A.M.", Deck's fed-up "Poisonous...poisonous..." at the start of whatever that is on Cuban Linus, dudes fucking up under the streetlamp on "Daytona 500," and on and on.

The squeaky bass pedal in "Dap Walk."

Not really really, but that one dude (he introduces himself as "The Original Rap Editor"--I have no idea what the fuck that means) on the answering machine at the start of Nice and Smooth's "Get Fucked Up": "Givin' a shout out to my seed, my only one--my one and only seed...Damn, I been smokin' mad weed." The icing on the pie is the fact that even with the fuck-up it still comes out rhyming.

Billy Ficca's accidental break at the end of "Marquee Moon"

The dubby little whoosh of the tape machine starting a second after the band in the Beginning Of The End's "In The Deep."

James Brown gets the Irving G. Thalberg for refusing to acknowledge the fourth wall: "Now, Mister Engineer, we're gonna do something funny right here, but keep the tape rolling..." (And yet I always thought Tribe was kinda corny with all that "Bob Power, you there?" shit--go figure. Conversely, Tip's "Fuck it, 'cause I know I didn't make it fuckin' rhyme for real" on the Beastie Boys thing is okay, where Cannibal Ox dude catching himself using the same rhyme twice and then going back to correct it is mad corn. Again, go figure.)

Maybe my favorite shit ever, though: Chuck D's verses running alternately long and short on "Welcome To The Terrordome." Unstoppable.

• Marvin Gaye - Since I Had You

when they bring in the backing vocals it seems to jump a little, or loose a beat or something

• I read somewhere that whistling part of "Dock of the Bay" was because Otis Redding couldn't remember that verse.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Leroy Hustson - Lucky Fellow: tape edit/punch in when he sings "for yooooou ggirl". I hear it every time now.

• The "ker-ching ker-ching" in Radioheads "Creep", just before the chorus is a mistake. The geetarrrist kept coming in early, but it sounds rad.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    On one of the Elvis Sun 45's(I think it's Mystery Train) you can hear a soda machine that was in the hall at Sun Studios in the background.

On the Psych LP by Ill Wind there is a dropout on the cut "High Flying Bird" on most copies.....if you fins a copy that has a serated edge(like a U.S. dime) it will not have this dropout.

The Billy Joel LP "Cold Spring Harbor" was mastered at the wrong speed making BJ sound like a drunk, baritone chipmunk.

The psych/jazz LP by Dirty John's Hot Dog Stand has a skip on both promo and stock copies.

• the f-bomb in "Louie Louie" is still my all time favorite.

Ha ha, yeah. There's also a huge miscue after the guitar solo where the lead singer comes in a full measure too early and then stops.

Another Billy Joel one, on "Don't Ask Me Why" he sings don't "axe" me why in one of the verses.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I read somewhere that whistling part of "Dock of the Bay" was because Otis Redding couldn't remember that verse.

This makes me think about the "zuh-zuh-zuh" verse in "Planet Rock", which wasn't a recording goof but a stage goof (forgotten verse) that went over so well that they recorded it that way... or so the story goes.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I don't know if it's a goof for shure, but the MIA song where she samples Sanford and Son seems to have a "you big dummy" sample punch that gets cut off.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some recordings "goofs" that I've noted:

1. On "First Impressions" by the Ohio Players, Marshall Jones's bass guitar is flat throughout the whole LP.

2. On "Better at Home" by Jill Scott, she coughs near the end of the song, which sounded like it was due to her straining a bit vocally.

3. On "Lie No. 2" by Shades of Brown, the lead singer is flat on the bridge part and the background vocals are badly off key.

4. The drummer rushes the tempo badly during the guitar solo on "Darkness" by The Soul Survivors.

5. On "Soulsville" by Titus Lee Turner, the tempo of the recording speeds up and slows down, as indicated by a sharp changes in pitch at various points in the song.

6. Greg Nice says, "I say Muhammad Ali, you say Classius Clay" on Dwyck.

7. Tips says, "On the Jungle Brothers alblum " on "The Promo".

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Supposedly in one of the many background vocal tracks on Marvin's "Got To Give It Up" you can hear him say something along the lines of "Hey Don, Say Don. I didn't see you standing over there..." - which was because Don Cornelious had walked into the session. I always though that was dope as fuck.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

On the Psych LP by Ill Wind there is a dropout on the cut "High Flying Bird" on most copies.....if you fins a copy that has a serated edge(like a U.S. dime) it will not have this dropout.

HA! My copy of this LP is VG minus minus minus, so I always thought that
    was just a really bad condition-based flaw ... now I can upgrade to
    VG minus minus!

• Miles davis sketches of spain, in the quite sections I can hear the musicians chairs squaking a bit moving around getting comfortable.

I also always get a kick when funk groups would edit in drum breaks in the middle of the song but the edited kit sounds nothing like the drum kit in the rest of the song. Alot of times it totally breaks the flow of the music.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I also always get a kick when funk groups would edit in drum breaks in the middle of the song but the edited kit sounds nothing like the drum kit in the rest of the song. Alot of times it totally breaks the flow of the music.

example?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    seems like theres a few songs here and there where they were fast-forwarding the tape and pressed play too late so the beginning of the song slows down to normal speed from hi-speed right away

the last track on one side of donald byrd's "blackbyrd" lp comes to mind

• I also always get a kick when funk groups would edit in drum breaks in the middle of the song but the edited kit sounds nothing like the drum kit in the rest of the song. Alot of times it totally breaks the flow of the music.

example?

Drum break definitely sounds "punched in"....

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    seems like theres a few songs here and there where they were fast-forwarding the tape and pressed play too late so the beginning of the song slows down to normal speed from hi-speed right away

This makes me think of "Zimba Ku".