Favorite version of People Make the World Go Round

2»

Comments

• btw, im unsure of exactly how the story goes but Lenny Williams who later was the vocals for Tower of Power recorded the first PMTWGR, the stylistics just popularized it... the cover can be found on 45, maybe an ATCO? verification por favor.

now youre telling me delroy wilson has a cover too? my quest is far from over then.

-rich

• btw, im unsure of exactly how the story goes but Lenny Williams who later was the vocals for Tower of Power recorded the first PMTWGR, the stylistics just popularized it... the cover can be found on 45, maybe an ATCO? verification por favor.

-rich

both versions came out in 1972, but i'm pretty sure the stylistics version came out first. the lenny williams on atco has a copyright notice on it; the stylistics version doesn't. generally, labels didn't start putting sound copyright notices (the "p" in a circle logo) on records until soon after Congress authorized federal copyright protection for sound recordings in February 1972.

• Embarassingly enough, it was the Moodymann version of this song that turned me on to it's greatness, so name some good versions.

I'm listening to the Shirley Scott version now, which is genius, and I didn't know it existed until today.

It's a great composition and difficult to mess up, but I don't think anything's messing with the Stylistics' original.

I prefer the Temprees' version, but agree that the song is very difficult to mess up. I've heard 20+ versions and while I don't love all of them (Dee Dee Bridgewater? Ramon Morris? meh.), none of them suck. The only other comparably tough to screw up song I can think of is "Hey Joe."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    btw, im unsure of exactly how the story goes but Lenny Williams who later was the vocals for Tower of Power recorded the first PMTWGR, the stylistics just popularized it... the cover can be found on 45, maybe an ATCO? verification por favor.

-rich

both versions came out in 1972, but i'm pretty sure the stylistics version came out first. the lenny williams on atco has a copyright notice on it; the stylistics version doesn't. generally, labels didn't start putting sound copyright notices (the "p" in a circle logo) on records until soon after Congress authorized federal copyright protection for sound recordings in February 1972.

Plus, it's a Bell/Creed composition, which would point to the Stylistics' cut being the first one...

• (Dee Dee Bridgewater? Ramon Morris? meh.)
    I actually thought about both of these versions (which I dig), when I saw this thread.

Sorta related but why are there so many wack versions of Put Your Hand In The Hand?
    Start out with a drum break and go from there.
    How hard is that?!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Embarassingly enough, it was the Moodymann version of this song that turned me on to it's greatness, so name some good versions.

I'm listening to the Shirley Scott version now, which is genius, and I didn't know it existed until today.

It's a great composition and difficult to mess up, but I don't think anything's messing with the Stylistics' original.

I prefer the Temprees' version, but agree that the song is very difficult to mess up. I've heard 20+ versions and while I don't love all of them (Dee Dee Bridgewater? Ramon Morris? meh.), none of them suck. The only other comparably tough to screw up song I can think of is "Hey Joe."

That's on Love Maze? I don't really remember it--I should pull it out and give it a listen this evening.

• Swan Lake - Blackalicious

• I like the version on THIS:

co-sign. Jerry Butler's band is nice on that album.

cosign, I like that record, its the best thing jerry butler has ever done by far

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Swan Lake - Blackalicious

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Nothing touches the Stylistics OG

I always enjoyed Marc Dorsey's version off the Crooklyn Soundtrack... His voice has a great Stevie Wonder flavor.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,098 Posts
    I agree with the love for the Stylistics OG. 

Snapping said:
    For a more recent version, I reccomend Innerzone Orchestra version with the J-88 remix.

I tend to dislike modern remakes of classic soul, but I still listen to the C2 remix of the Innerzone cover a lot. 

Duderonomy

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,098 Posts
    here's the c2 mix

Duderonomy

• Milt Jackson's Sunflower lp 

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I ride for the Freddie Hubbard version. So soulful, jazzy, and amazing. I've been fuxing with Swan Lake by Blackalicious since it came out. What's that, 22 years now? Jeezeus. 
    Duderonomy

• Gotta go with the best which is [The Stylistics]classic version!!
    Duderonomy

• Have always liked Johnny Lytle's slightly out there version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j_XWaw746c