SERATO - MACBOOK - HELP PLEASE...

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
What up,Sorry for another Serato thread. I need some quick help from the SoulStrut massive here.I'm a PC head, all my life and about to lash out to MAC to use SERATO. I need to make a purchaese in the next 72 hours for a dedicated Serato machine and here is the notebook that I'm planning to get;MacBook Black / Intel Duo Core 2.0GHZ / 1 gig RAM / 80GB HDDI've read about problems with the USB ports and overheating, but it seems that these problems are fixed with the latest software updates.Here are some questions;1. should i run serato on windows or OS/X2. how hard is it for a PC head to learn the mac OS and interface (i've got about 3 weeks)3. what should i turn on and off in the operating system to make it run better4. any tips on setting the machine up for Seratoand most important -- DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS PARTICULAR NOTEBOOK running Serato or know anyone with it that can give me the thumbs up?Thanks for your help greatly everyone.peace.

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i'm not so sure buying an intel mac is the way to go quite yet. see if you can get a older g4 powerbook. it'll be cheaper too. macs just work...no learning curve at all really.

• I have the 2g black macbook and it works great. Just be sure to plug the scratch box in the usb port closest to you otherwise you may get those usb drops.

Turn off your blue tooth and airport cards before starting ssl. Also I log out and log back in holding down the shift key. This aborts all startup apps you don't need running.

OS X is easy to learn but you can always load XP via bootcamp if you feel more comfortable. I've heard this works well.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Do not buy the black one unless vanity is that important to you. You can just buy the white model and bump up the hd size through "build to order". You get the EXACT same computer but at a significant saving ($150 US), minus the black colour.

Memory you can purchase off a 3rd party, apple charges an arm and a leg for it. Not worth it IMO. Buy a 1gb dimm and slap it in yourself.

finally, Dildo runs fine on intel macs. Dildo itself is a very light program. As long as you keep your internal drive relatively free you'll be good. Best to use an external drive to hold all your mp3's.

ps I just realized raj put a wordscript in to replace s_rato w/ dildo.

• ps I just realized raj put a wordscript in to replace s_rato w/ dildo.

He should fix that. It's supposed to say "microwave."

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Microwave

• I think that Microwave has been pretty good with addressing bugs in their free updates. So the intel Macbook shouldn't be a problem. You can always check their forums...

and cosign on the black macbook: they charge more for the color only and apple openly admitted that they believe folks will pay more for a vanity piece.

good luck!

• Do not buy the black one unless vanity is that important to you. You can just buy the white model and bump up the hd size through "build to order". You get the EXACT same computer but at a significant saving ($150 US), minus the black colour.

Memory you can purchase off a 3rd party, apple charges an arm and a leg for it. Not worth it IMO. Buy a 1gb dimm and slap it in yourself.

finally, Dildo runs fine on intel macs. Dildo itself is a very light program. As long as you keep your internal drive relatively free you'll be good. Best to use an external drive to hold all your mp3's.

ps I just realized raj put a wordscript in to replace s_rato w/ dildo.

they actually have a white 80gb hd 1gb ram model now off the shelf in apple shops, it's 1450 or 1550
    i think, my girl just got one i do believe it's 150 cheaper than black.

that way you dont have to wait to build to order.

osx is way easy, no prob to learn, windows also will run with a program called parallels, you can change
    without having to re-boot that way.

• and cosign on the black macbook: they charge more for the color only and apple openly admitted that they believe folks will pay more for a vanity piece.

good luck!

I did. I realized the machines were the same but I'm a . This machine is a chick magnet in Starbucks. Well worth the extra $150.

• kojackkojack 42 Posts

I'm not a Microwave user, but my black MacBook has taken just about anything I've thrown at it like a champ. I opted for the black because I didn't want to wait for a custom white model to get the larger hd. And because the white ones were having issues with discoloration. And because I'm a vain gadget fetishist.

I wholeheartedly cosign the MacBook.

Save yourself some loot, order RAM upgrades here: NewEgg

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Thanks for the info everyone!

Just a quick question. Is 512MB RAM enough to run $erato?

peace.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Thanks for the info everyone!

Just a quick question. Is 512MB RAM enough to run $erato?

peace.
    on a pc it's more than enough

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    os x is a memory hog, 512 runs it barely but you will feel the lag after a day. GET THE 1GB dimm, it will be the cheapest and most effective upgrade possible. The macbook comes stock w/ 2x256mb chips inside, so you have to take one out to put in the 1gb, thus totaling 1.25gb.

Don't even try to run photoshop on 512mb since it's not universal.

• per0per0 152 Posts
    What up,

and most important -- DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS PARTICULAR NOTEBOOK running Microwave or know anyone with it that can give me the thumbs up?

Thanks for your help greatly everyone.

peace.

Check the Madcap

os x is a memory hog, 512 runs it barely but you will feel the lag after a day. GET THE 1GB dimm, it will be the cheapest and most effective upgrade possible. The macbook comes stock w/ 2x256mb chips inside, so you have to take one out to put in the 1gb, thus totaling 1.25gb.

Don't even try to run photoshop on 512mb since it's not universal.

Word. I don't have time to order ram and wack it in, I'm just ordering direct off Apple. I think their 1GB setup is 2x512MB chips? Will this be sufice?

b

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I would recommend you hold off and order it seperately......

it won't be that big of a deal to play a few gigs w/ only 512mb. Apple will rip you off on the ram, you end up paying 2x market cost.

Just make sure you turn airport and bluetooth off when using Microwave.

I would recommend you hold off and order it seperately......

it won't be that big of a deal to play a few gigs w/ only 512mb. Apple will rip you off on the ram, you end up paying 2x market cost.

Just make sure you turn airport and bluetooth off when using Microwave.

word. sorry one more question, is it hard to install the RAM on the powerbook and can u send me a direct link to the type of RAM i would need to buy from that egg site.

thanks for the help hommmmmmmmie.

b

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    not too hard to install, but I've heard you have to push the memory in really hard. Here are pics and a guide.

You don't have to order the ram online, any local computer store will have it. Generic ram will most likely work, you need 667 MHz PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM to be exact.

I would eventually max it out to 2gb since matching ram in each slot improves performance.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Also one thing nobody mentioned is that you CAN indeed upgrade the processor in the MacBook. It's just not available through apple. Upgrading to a 7200 speed with greatly inprove performance across the board.

• per0per0 152 Posts
    Also one thing nobody mentioned is that you CAN indeed upgrade the processor in the MacBook. It's just not available through apple. Upgrading to a 7200 speed with greatly inprove performance across the board.

Are you sure your talking of the processor? Maybe the HD? And Apple will BTO w them.