Albums that you know are dope....

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited March 2018 in Music Talk
...but for some reason don't get mentioned much around here:

listened to it in the car for the first time in a while...this is definitely the cream of the crop.

very cool jazz/funk all the way through.

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

The strings, the strings...

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts

listened to it in the car for the first time in a while...this is definitely the cream of the crop.

I never liked this album. Except for the classic DITC singles (Day One, Enemy etc) which were old by the time the album dropped there's nothing special on this IMO.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

supposedly the company put this out even though diamond + them weren't done with the record yet.also the sound is piss poor on alot of those cuts.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I never liked this album. Except for the classic DITC singles (Day One, Enemy etc) which were old by the time the album dropped

weren't they weird mixes as well? i'd have to dig out my tape

• robert_murtrobert_murt 338 Posts
    I'm not a regular on the forum so maybe I missed some trains... but I don't hear a lot about:

GREGORY JAMES EDITION - Prophets Of Soul

This record is so dope. Not only the "Ain't No Sunshine" cover, but "Changing Time" is so incredible.

Is anybody here knows about other stuff in the same veine?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

very cool jazz/funk all the way through.

Man, you ain't fooling. This is my fave Norman Connors....all the smooth funkiness of the later years, but with the energy and edge of his more out jazz roots, along with his cohorts from that world playing in a funky context. A great LP.

I'm gonna throw in this one:

Chicago Soul jazz at it's most underrated. This is a sleeper for most folks. Just kills it.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I'm not a regular on the forum so maybe I missed some trains... but I don't hear a lot about:

GREGORY JAMES EDITION - Prophets Of Soul

This record is so dope. Not only the "Ain't No Sunshine" cover, but "Changing Time" is so incredible.

Is anybody here knows about other stuff in the same veine?

There are a lot of different flavors on that album, too. I dunno, i haven't really come across anything quite like them. i haven't heard the "Mulatu of Ethiopa", but I'd suspect it may sound similar.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

Here Here!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Oh shit. I bought this CD in Seattle at a Borders Books when I lived there for a summer in '98. Vitamin D's production is superb...

the rhymes though were a bit  

My vote:

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

Oh shit. I bought this CD in Seattle at a Borders Books when I lived there for a summer in '98. Vitamin D's production is superb...

H-Bomb goes off though.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

My vote:

"if it's in you to do wrong" is my favorite impressions song. that shit is so fucking that it's not even funny, and it will never stop giving me the

pure  

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

My vote:

excellent record... has been fetching some change lately too. I read this chicago soul book that hated on this album. But then. they hated on everything having to do with Leroy Hutson...

Re: Ella Fitzgerald: there is the Prestige pressing and two pressings on MPS. The original is the MPS cover pictured above.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

This is the first album that i started to actually "listen" to rather than needle drop.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

H-Bomb goes off though.

Can't believe any of you folls know about this. I'm tryin to find my copy of the 1st Tribal Compilation which is better than Do The Math in my opinion. Hussein was always my favorite rapper in the crew too. I need to track down the 1st Sensimilla demo which was heatery! Dudes had their own sound back then. Too bad the rest of the world didn't get to hear it. There is even a Born Supreme-H Bomb song that was dope from that era too.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

H-Bomb goes off though.

Can't believe any of you folls know about this. I'm tryin to find my copy of the 1st Tribal Compilation which is better than Do The Math in my opinion. Hussein was always my favorite rapper in the crew too. I need to track down the 1st Sensimilla demo which was heatery! Dudes had their own sound back then. Too bad the rest of the world didn't get to hear it. There is even a Born Supreme-H Bomb song that was dope from that era too.

I got that shit, too!! I'ma have to pull it out and blow the dust off it! That, my Table Manners 2 LP and that other Seattle group with the DJ who was a UPS or FedEx driver or something like that.

I'ma dub all my DV One tapes to CD, too. WET TOAST!!!!

Herm

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

I never liked this album. Except for the classic DITC singles (Day One, Enemy etc) which were old by the time the album dropped there's nothing special on this IMO.

you may be right. i probably only like this, cuz it was my first exposure to D.I.T.C. there are BANGERS on this though.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    and one of the best earland jawn

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    That Blossom Dearie is my shit right there. Of course that Temptations lp is dope. Still NEED a copy of that Betty Wright lp.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Pretty sure I've never seen the top three records in that pic

(NC is sad)

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Chicago Soul jazz at it's most underrated. This is a sleeper for most folks. Just kills it.

Judging from similar LP-related posts, you have great taste in music. i'll take your word on this one.

Judging from similar LP-related posts, you have great taste in music. i'll take your word on this one.

Gracias. Just the kind of LP that most people see and think "yeah, yeah...I have seen a million Ramsey Lewis LPs, nothing special". It's just sweet, nothing mind-boggling, just great piano soul jazz. In fact, here's my list of Ramsey records that everyone has seen, but some of y'all need to actually buy:

and "Don't it Feel Good" and "them Changes"

Depending on where you live, all these together could be the best $25 you have spent in a long time.

Double Co-sizzle

These should be the bread and butter of any Soul collection. LPs come rarer than "Solid Rock" but not much funkier and or more soulful. Classics.

• KrautbreaksKrautbreaks 276 Posts

Hmm,

in Germany old SABA label was the distributor for PRESTIGE albums in the sixties.

Within the seventies the later stuff like FUNK INC was released on BELLAPHON in Germany so you find me pretty surprised about that US release too.

Greetings
    Seb

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    These classic (Modern) Soul pieces:

Ronnie McNeir: "The Ronnie McNeir Experience" EP

Leon Ware: "Inside Is Love"

Crystal Winds: "First Flight"

Carl Carlton: "Carl Carlton"

SG