Thoughts on the new DJ Shadow?

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I know you bootlegging fucks already have it so what do you think of it? I can only listen to the non-rap tracks right now but they're all sounding decent. This Time is still sounding good.

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    This Time is still sounding good.

But in terms of it being a cohesive album...

Half Hyphy/half Coldplay with The Haunted Mansion guy spouting some mid-evil gibberish for an intro?
    I don't know who he's trying to sell this to to be honest with you.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Half Hyphy/half Coldplay with The Haunted Mansion guy spouting some mid-evil gibberish for an intro?

I haven't heard it yet, but I think the short answer to that question is everyone.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

I haven't heard it yet, but I think the short answer to that question is everyone.

This would have been a better look

Seriously, not to dis dude cause I know he's got a living to make, but it just doesn't sound like anything I'd buy. You've got to hear that intro for real.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

He looks like Joel McHale on this cover.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i think i figured this out. the lp is a bunch of different singles. thats the only way to bridge the gap that mp3s have caused, so he'll have a song on every different rdio station. a lot of european rock bands did the same thing in the 70s to compete with american pop stuff in their own markets.

nah...but for real. i'm trying to be an optimist here. it's kinda loose.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    it honestly doesnt seem like he was really trying to make a cohesive album really

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Aside from "This Time" and a couple of the rap tracks (and no, I'm not talking about the Lateef & Q-Tip joint), I don't see myself returning to this.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    lol @ "half hyphy/half coldplay"

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    I'm pretty surprised by this album, he's obviously trying to make a bit of cash and make it marketable but why not just relase a bunch of singles? I mean whats the point of making an album of material that has no link or connection to each other...I was also thinking how strange it is shadow would like all these differnt styles, I wonder if he actually likes this album.

This Time is the only track I was feeling.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    I'm pretty surprised by this album, he's obviously trying to make a bit of cash and make it marketable but why not just relase a bunch of singles? I mean whats the point of making an album of material that has no link or connection to each other...I was also thinking how strange it is shadow would like all these differnt styles, I wonder if he actually likes this album.

Son do you really think he is doin this album to make money??? If he wanted to make more money he would have done Entroducing 2006. I'm sure that's what you were waiting for.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Why hip-hop is hyphy in '06.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

Son do you really think he is doin this album to make money??? If he wanted to make more money he would have done Entroducing 2006. I'm sure that's what you were waiting for.
    But Endtroducing PT. 2 would lose so much revenue to downloads. This was a good marketing move, and you can bet you'll see a lot more disjointed LPs in the future. The market shapes the medium.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

But Endtroducing PT. 2 would lose so much revenue to downloads. This was a good marketing move, and you can bet you'll see a lot more disjointed LPs in the future. The market shapes the medium.

I'm inclined to agree. Things go in cycles - back in the early 80s, hip hop was a singles market, then in the late 80s-mid 90s fools were dropping solid albums from front to back. Now with the MP3 rage, and people making a shit-ton of $$$ off of one song, it's going back to a singles market. How often have you gotten a dope leadoff single only to like about half of the album when it drops?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    thoughts on the new DJ Shadow?

I think I'll never hear this album.

I think there will be at least 50 DJ Shadow threads in the next few months. (at least)

carry on

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    haven't heard the whole thing - some tracks just didn't do anything for me, a couple others I'm liking.

I'll definitely give it a listen

Shadow needs to fire his stylist after that Urb cover.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    seein' thangs

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    im looking forward to it. f yall

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    im looking forward to it. f yall

wrrd, f you too homie. enjoy.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    why not just say fuck? fuck fuck fuck fuck

fuck ya'll and fuck a white suit

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    i'md drunk!

Being drunk is no excuse not to say fuck

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    fuck it then

swearing(cussing) is so unorthodox!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Hi Bevan

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Heard it. Pretty bad IMO. That David Banner track was terrible.