Fav Organ Jazz LP or Track

Comments

• the majority of both of those catalogs pretty much represent the best of the B-3 across many styles. true that Smith's is so vast you could really have too many of his bluenotes pretty quick.

I have read that he recorded 17 Lps between 1957 and 1958. Dont know how many were releaesed but you can only have so many jazz standards with 12 minute hammond solos in them before it all sounds the same.

Replace the word "hammond" with saxophone, trumpet, piano etc. Do you not dig the jazz???

nah, I really dig jazz, prolly makes up close to 50% of my record collection...but they're not as many unique players/stylists in the hammond game as pianists/horn players...so the breadth of variety isnt as wide, so hammond albums can get kinda bogged down with a sameness at times that isnt found in other jazz players catalougues.

jazz makes up 99% of my collection and i feel the same way, its kinda like what a lot of jazz musicians said when the electic piano came out, the instrument does not let an artists individuality come through, i do like many elecric piano tunes and lps and would argue that a the electric piano gives a better opportunity to show individuality, the organ gives even less

you guys have to admit those jimmy smith records do get a bit tedious, i have listened to probaly most jimmy smith albums on bluenote and many not on the lable, there is prob only a hand full that i would take the time to find or listen to again

Agreed. I enjoy the Blue Note Jimmy Smith LPs with horn players like the above mentioned and "Open House" type shit. I like the Verve dates for the Oliver Nelson or Lalo Schifrin arrangements. Then Root Down is in a class of its own. I also really like the interaction between Smith and Donald Bailey on the faster tunes. The slower tunes without horns are too often snoozers.

Anyways...

I'm really into Leon Spencer these days. His version of Mercy Mercy Me (the Ecology) is moist.

Spencer does a nice version of 'Message From the Meters'...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    On the subject of Larry Young (sorry 3rd), I was listening to "Young/Hendrix" from that posthumous "Nine To The Universe" Jimi LP. That's the only song on it that features L. Young. Are there other of those Jimi/Larry jamsessions on record anywhere? I'd love to hear more of those. Still need that "Lawrence Of Newark" LP too.

Another organ thought: have y'all ever thought what it would sound like if some of the great piano players had picked up the organ once in a while? Like McCoy Tyner for example, or Cecil Taylor, whoever. I mean a guy like Herbie played the organ for just one record (Blow-Up O.S.T), but he kept it pretty traditional soul-jazzy. What if he had explored the organ for some Sextant type shit.

Senseless speculation of course, but still.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    you wear panties?

obscure....

some people say it's tepid... i dont think so.

i love it! wonderful record. some soulstrut people hated on it. that was mean... the record is

the price for the original is jumping up and down. i've seen it for more than 200 and less than 50. strange.

I also like the Professor Soul LP by Kynard. Unfortunately, I sold my copy.

Jimmy Smith is my favorite organist. Although, he never really changed his style. It would have been interesting to hear something totally different by him...

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

Another organ thought: have y'all ever thought what it would sound like if some of the great piano players had picked up the organ once in a while? Like McCoy Tyner for example, or Cecil Taylor, whoever. I mean a guy like Herbie played the organ for just one record (Blow-Up O.S.T), but he kept it pretty traditional soul-jazzy. What if he had explored the organ for some Sextant type shit.

Senseless speculation of course, but still.

some piano dudes would be ok on organ, your example of using tyner is the opposite, i think what made tyner great was his touch and that is lost on the organ i think

cecil taylor would have sounded the same on organ as he did on piano, like shit

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Don Pullen did that. And conversely, Larry Young played piano on some of those Nathan Davis dates.

I just pictured your 99% jazz record collection being either very small or packed with 99% records with "many jazz standards with 12 minute [blank] solos".

I just pictured your 99% jazz record collection being either very small or packed with 99% records with "many jazz standards with 12 minute [blank] solos".

you can have a nice jazz collection without free jazz, it is possible frank

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Cecil could bring the straight ahead heat also...his "Stereo Drive" LP with Trane is

A nice collection? If you want to see a real collection, call me.

• Who's dick is bigger though?

A nice collection? If you want to see a real collection, call me.

you are ridiculous

i am sure when iam as old as you my collection will be to your standards minus free jazz

seriously.

CT is not for you. I know that. But it ain't shit. Do you like Archie Shepp?

seriously.

no i don't, and don't come at me with this "then you don't have a real collection" or "you're not a jazz fan"

i used to be into all the spritual and free shit but to be honest it does nothing for me anymore i would rather have modal or hard bop over any of that shit

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    seriously.

no i don't, and don't come at me with this "then you don't have a real collection" or "you're not a jazz fan"

i used to be into all the spritual and free shit but to be honest it does nothing for me anymore i would rather have modal or hard bop over any of that shit

Can you even catagorize all of CT's stuff as free? I mean Looking Ahead aint straight but it aint free either.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

seriously.

Can you even catagorize all of CT's stuff as free? I mean Looking Ahead aint straight but it aint free either.

maybe, i have listened to a large chunk of his stuff and the conclusion i came to was me no like

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    seriously.

maybe, i have listened to a large chunk of his stuff and the conclusion i came to was me no like

im tellin' ya, grab his 1958 LP with Coltrane..its goody good good

seriously.

Maybe you listened to the wrong chunk. That or you come to hasty conclusions.

seriously.

all the recording i have heard of his sound like me playing piano when i was 3

if there was a time period before this sound please inform me

seriously.

all the recording i have heard of his sound like me playing piano when i was 3

if there was a time period before this sound please inform me

Check his LP's from the late 50's including the LP with Coltrane.

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    Love the big Oliver Nelson arrangements with my organ.

seriously.

I'm putting it in on less and less as I age. Partly because I don't play music myself anymore. And for me, back then, free jazz provided lessons regarding all things I could experiment with in my own playing. Also, I found a lot of WAY out stuff (FMP, BYG, etc.) only interests me through about 5 listens. I've seen so much great free jazz live. That's where it's at for me. It doesn't work as good on record. I've seen Cecil Taylor live several times and it's quite a show.

I just think there's a big difference between wholly dismissing an artist as "shit" versus saying you've listened and don't feel it. You are entitled to either, but when you diss my free jazz dudes like that, I have to jump.

Hi, Day!

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    This is enjoyable, not my favorite, but slept on.

Great 20+ minute "Slipping into Darkness" cover.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    wow, so much to respond to in the thread.
    John Patton- Understanding, anyone?

first off, it makes no sense to me to say, 'i like modal jazz but not spiritual jazz.' cause basically, unless you pinpoint spoken word jazz or afrocentric song titles, there's really no concrete identifier for spiritual jazz, and as far as i can tell the closest thing to one would be modality. Spiritual jazz: undeniably Coltrane pretty much started that shit as such, all very strongly grounded in modality.

i also disagree with the theory that organ does not allow as personal expression as electric piano. the way Hammonds are constructed, with the pedals and drawbars actually allows for a huge, practically infinite range of tone, actually more than an electric piano. this is also why, in my opinion, while most pianists made the jump to electric, most could not have just jumped (not meaningfully anyway) to organ, cause while elec piano is basically just a variant instrument, organ is actually a whole other instrument, a whole other beast. Being a great piano player does not make you a good organ player. been that way since like the renaissance and shit. i think the whole 'boring organ jazz' phenomenon is more due to the pigeonholing of organ jazz by record companies and buyers as greasy chitlin circuit music, as opposed to any limitations of the instrument.

But man, passing on all those Larry Young albums does not seem like a good look (but to each his own i guess).

lastly, Alice Coltrane please? maybe not belonging in this thread cause it's not Hammond, but she MUST get props for one of the most utterly personal takes on jazz organ EVAR.

I've seen so much great free jazz live. That's where it's at for me.

this i will agree with, seeing it live is great, on record shit is weak to me, i have very few moments in my life where i want that to be my soundtrack, life is chaos already

I just think there's a big difference between wholly dismissing an artist as "shit" versus saying you've listened and don't feel it. You are entitled to either, but when you diss my free jazz dudes like that, I have to jump.

i guess when i say its shit i mean i have listened to it and it does nothing for me

• xyzlenexyzlene 37 Posts
    Brother Jacok McDuff

i only have it on cd. its a double album

"a change is gonna come" and "double barrelled soul"

the last track on the cd is a 9 minute killer with a breakdown solo that alwys blows me away. think of a lounge in the 40's thats entirely filled with cigar smoke its around 5 a.m. red table lamps everywhere and everyone is blasted....

can't find the cd case of tracklistings... maybe some others will recognize what song im talking about.

first off, it makes no sense to me to say, 'i like modal jazz but not spiritual jazz.' cause basically, unless you pinpoint spoken word jazz or afrocentric song titles, there's really no concrete identifier for spiritual jazz, and as far as i can tell the closest thing to one would be modality. Spiritual jazz: undeniably Coltrane pretty much started that shit as such, all very strongly grounded in modality.

when i say modal i think it may have more to do with miles than john, when i say modal i mean early to mid sixties jazz, to me spiritual stuff was post coltranes death, late 60's early seventies

and no doubt many things considered spiritual are modal

when i say spritual i mean strata east stuff, coltranes band after his passing, and some of that stuff i still love, glass bead games, prince lasha ...

i also disagree with the theory that organ does not allow as personal expression as electric piano. the way Hammonds are constructed, with the pedals and drawbars actually allows for a huge, practically infinite range of tone, actually more than an electric piano. this is also why, in my opinion, while most pianists made the jump to electric, most could not have just jumped (not meaningfully anyway) to organ, cause while elec piano is basically just a variant instrument, organ is actually a whole other instrument, a whole other beast. Being a great piano player does not make you a good organ player. been that way since like the renaissance and shit. i think the whole 'boring organ jazz' phenomenon is more due to the pigeonholing of organ jazz by record companies and buyers as greasy chitlin circuit music, as opposed to any limitations of the instrument.

you have a point here

But man, passing on all those Larry Young albums does not seem like a good look (but to each his own i guess).

when i said i didn't want a larry young discography i didnt mean i wouldnt take the records if i found them, i meant i didnt want people to just list every larry young record in this post

lastly, Alice Coltrane please? maybe not belonging in this thread cause it's not Hammond, but she MUST get props for one of the most utterly personal takes on jazz organ EVAR.

while i dont like the alice organ lps (i prefer her on harp) she does have a very unique sound for sure

• per0per0 152 Posts
    Soul Sugar - Jimmy McGriff

• you can't mention with out showing the jacket.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    Gotta back up Alice Coltrane as a very distinctive organist. so nuanced. I could listen to her for days..