Concept albums that don't suck

124»

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I always thought De La Iz Dead was about them shedding their hippie rep. 

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts

speaking of those Elephant 6 bands, Of Montreal's early albums are very concepty and pretty good IMO, The Gay Parade and Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies especially. Those albums remind me a bit of The Kinks, and isn't Village Green Preservation Society sort of a concept album too?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    To add to the naysayin', I struggle to see Perry's Super Ape as a concept album. True, his Upsetter/production LPs usually have a theme with dubs given similar titles, but that's about it. Hardly any lyrics on Super Ape and some are just dubs of un-related singles from different artists. Am I missing something?

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

Connan Mockasin- Forever Dolphin Love

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ketan said:
    I always thought De La Iz Dead was about them shedding their hippie rep. 
    Only in title. The rest of the Native Tongues make appearences and many if the tracks have nothing to do with leaving their previous image behind. And skits dont make a concept.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Combed back through this thread after the bump and didn't notice this:

It's been probably 7+ years since I gave it a proper listen but I always really enjoyed it.  Not sure the exact definition of a concept album, but this certainly fits my personal idea of what you would consider a concept album.

Sidebar:

Hearing this again makes me miss seeing Breeze at Fat Beats...and miss Fat Beats, in general.  

I do not miss all the dudes hawking "real hiphip real hiphop real hiphop" out front of the bagel buffet, though.  

• 5156001780051560017800 wiltshire 7 Posts
    Prince among thieves, I'm into that, I'm into that.

I'm gonna chuck in A to Austr which might be a little unfair/inappropriate because it's a album with the concept of being about King Arthur and the Knights of the round table but the album isn't totally about King Arthur and the Knights of the round table 
    So yeah, to sum up; It's a album where some of it is about King Arthur and the Knights of the round table and some of it isn't.