Texas school district bans grillz

coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
edited January 2016 in Off Topic (NRR)
From the Associated Press:Texas school district bans grillzTue Jul 11, 12:04 PM ETThe school district here has expanded its dress codes to include mouths ??? and earlobes.Students may no longer wear mouth jewelry known as "grillz" ??? shiny teeth caps ??? or the earlobe-stretching practice known as "gauging.""The district is having to respond to fads because they've become distracters or a safety hazard for those around them," said Malcolm Turner, the district's executive director of student services.The nearby Irving, Grand Prairie and DeSoto districts also ban grillz, and some also address gauging ??? the process of placing increasingly large items in the ears to stretch the lobes.But students said the body modification is simply self-expression."Really, a grill is just like an earring. It's fashion," said junior Devonte Wright, 16.But school officials said they hoped to teach students that life would require them to follow specific regulations in specific settings."We want to instill in them a sense of modesty and a sense of community," said school board trustee Gloria Pena. "We're preparing them for the work force, and in the work force there are rules."

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    so is it a safety hazard or are they preparing them for the workforce?

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    so is it a safety hazard or are they preparing them for the workforce?

The potential to be blinded by icy grillz = occupational hazard.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    that's the kind of shit that would've pissed me off in h.s..

it's the administration tightening the reigns, i really doubt they care about safety or prepping them for the workforce. obviously these kids know it's a fad/just jewelry..

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

What about now?

I think all schools should have uniforms. Education first, fashion second.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

it's the administration tightening the reigns, i really doubt they care about safety or prepping them for the workforce. obviously these kids know it's a fad/just jewelry..

naw man, it really is a distraction. My homegirl is a teacher and her students are always taking the "grillz" out during class, cleaning them, sucking on 'em loudly, and just causing all the other students to stare or yell "OOOoooohhh lemme see". This is all fine outside of class, but when you're teaching a room full of kids it's not happening.

That stretching your ear shit is just straight obnoxious.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

naw man, it really is a distraction. My homegirl is a teacher and her students are always taking the "grillz" out during class, cleaning them, sucking on 'em loudly, and just causing all the other students to stare or yell "OOOoooohhh lemme see". This is all fine outside of class, but when you're teaching a room full of kids it's not happening.

That stretching your ear shit is just straight obnoxious.

call me disconnected.. it'd still piss me off back in the day.

djarcadian: now, it's just a mild annoyance

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I think all schools should have uniforms. Education first, fashion second.

I AGREE!

self expression is bullcrap anyways. Especially in HS.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

school officials said they hoped to teach students that life would require them to follow specific regulations in specific settings.

"We're preparing them for the work force, and in the work force there are rules."

If I ever have children, they will be allowed to be who they are, not manufactured to fit a business as a cog fits a machine. Are they children, or raw materials? Are they schools or factories?

This shit is beyond ridiculous.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

school officials said they hoped to teach students that life would require them to follow specific regulations in specific settings.

"We're preparing them for the work force, and in the work force there are rules."

If I ever have children, they will be allowed to be who they are, not manufactured to fit a business as a cog fits a machine. Are they children, or raw materials? Are they schools or factories?

You would encourage your kids to wear grills (or whatever the stir-causing attire of the moment is) to class?

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

What if they're the obnoxious ones distracting everybody else?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I agree with uniforms, shit, I would even seperate the sexes also. Many studies show that kids learn better when seperated...

Kids dont have rights, and well, they shouldnt...when you are a kid YOU DONT KNOW A FUCKING THING. It is a disservice to them to let them do what they want. When they are in a classroom, they are there to learn and I feel it necessary to get RID OF ANYTHING that doesnt promote learning. Yes, I would been pissed off to back when I was back in school about stuff like this, but then again, I was a kid and I DIDNT KNOW A FUCKING THING.

You would encourage your kids to wear grills (or whatever the stir-causing attire of the moment is) to class?

I don't even know how to respond to that. Are you seriously asking the differnce between allowing and encouraging?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Schools are for general education yes, but they're also for social education. You gotta let these kids figure themselves out in their surroundings as much as you need to teach them about history and such. Even so, there has to be a line drawn where social interaction gets in the way of the general education process. It's comparable to the free speech law in that way.

With that said, I'd say yes... grillz get in the way

I don't even know how to respond to that. Are you seriously asking the differnce between allowing and encouraging?

are you sure you know that difference?

I agree with uniforms, shit, I would even seperate the sexes also. Many studies show that kids learn better when seperated...

Kids dont have rights, and well, they shouldnt...when you are a kid YOU DONT KNOW A FUCKING THING. It is a disservice to them to let them do what they want. When they are in a classroom, they are there to learn and I feel it necessary to get RID OF ANYTHING that doesnt promote learning. Yes, I would been pissed off to back when I was back in school about stuff like this, but then again, I was a kid and I DIDNT KNOW A FUCKING THING.

I couldn't disagree more with your assessment of children. The attitude that children must become like sheep in order for others to decide what is in their best interests is what causes so many adults to mindlessly conform to popular ideals, whether they make sense or not. How can any free-thinking individual be so willing to break the spirit of the innocent?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Yea, stuf is distracting and kids need rules, but really a lot of these kids are going to go into factories and loose fingers and eyes, or go to the army and die....so really lets get some priorities straight. Are the schools going to bat for the graduates when they get a job at the shiney poky thing factory???? Let the kids have fun and most importantly let the parents decide if they can have this stuff.

"the spirit of the innocent" has a lot more to do with what goes on in their house than what they are asked to wear at school.

• i used to go to a private school with uniforms and shit like that and i was always trying to buck the rules. eventually, i was kicked out for refusing to cut my hair.

i guess i'm old because i have come full-circle. more than anything else clothing and accesories demarcate sub-cultures and the haves from the have nots. when you have uniforms all of that petty bullshit is alot easier to overcome. wear those gay ass grills after school if you really feel the need to express yourself. or better yet express yourself with your personality, intellect, or talent.

as a cranky old man i have to say that hip hop/rock/pop clothing styles are way outta control. you should see the types of t-shirts my japanese students wear: completely fucking clueless. they don;t care what sentiments they express as long as the font looks retro or "heep-hop".

are you sure you know that difference?

Seriously, can we please get an eye-rolling emoticon?

For real, Johnny. If you want to assume I'm an idiot, I can't do much about that, nor do I really care to. However, I'm very willing to have a real conversation about this topic. If you've got something to say, just come out and say it.

"the spirit of the innocent" has a lot more to do with what goes on in their house than what they are asked to wear at school.

Well, we might disagree on how much more, but for the most part I think this too.

If you've got something to say, just come out and say it.

I did

So basically

I couldn't disagree more with your assessment of children.

Dude they are grillz. Ban that shit. Ban baseball hats. Ban whatever. That shit is not important. Not to kids' growth, not to their fun, not to their learning.

They have all weekend, all day after 3pm, holidays, all summer, winter break to sport their grillz and hot shit. I am a proponent of rules in school. I taught for a year and some change and the kids were a mess. They want to learn but they were/are unfocused and easily distracted (because they are 15). Their parents didn't give a shit so I think the responsibility falls on the school to enforce whatever order is necessary for classes to function.

If you really think kids' dress code is important to their indivual growth then... well, I guess you live in Oregon

demarcate sub-cultures and the haves from the have nots.

Thank you.... thats exactly why I'm pro uniform.

No kid should get picked on because they wear k-mart clothes and shit. I think I'm sensitive about shit like that.

And yeah, keep those gay-ass grillz at home!!!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    there's always some new fad shit coming out that will serve as a distraction at school. while i think grillz are utterly pointless (that doesn't mean i don't appreciate them), i honestly don't see any harm in allowing grillz and just taking action against students for distracting class. i don't know what this school district is like, but surely they have bigger problems than worrying about grillz

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    there's always some new fad shit coming out that will serve as a distraction at school. while i think grillz are utterly pointless (that doesn't mean i don't appreciate them), i honestly don't see any harm in allowing grillz and just taking action against students for distracting class. i don't know what this school district is like, but surely they have bigger problems than worrying about grillz

i'm positive if school districts could institute a simple rule to fix "bigger problems" they would, but in the meantime they have to do what they can.

If you've got something to say, just come out and say it.

I did

So basically

I couldn't disagree more with your assessment of children.

Dude they are grillz. Ban that shit. Ban baseball hats. Ban whatever. That shit is not important. Not to kids' growth, not to their fun, not to their learning.

They have all weekend, all day after 3pm, holidays, all summer, winter break to sport their grillz and hot shit. I am a proponent of rules in school. I taught for a year and some change and the kids were a mess. They want to learn but they were/are unfocused and easily distracted (because they are 15). Their parents didn't give a shit so I think the responsibility falls on the school to enforce whatever order is necessary for classes to function.

If you really think kids' dress code is important to their indivual growth then... well, I guess you live in Oregon

I think you're misunderstanding my initial post. I'm not as concerned with whether or not children are allowed to wear grillz as I am with the idea that school exists to teach children "to follow specific regulations in specific settings."

I think you are a perfect example of what schools should be inspiring children to be. You decided to quit working at an office job so you could start your own business doing something you love. That takes a certain amount of creativity and independant thinking, the sort of thing that seems to be discouraged more and more in schools. Grillz are not that important in the long run, but I bristle at the thought of schools becoming so regulated that children have no choice but to conform to mindless obedience.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    [quote

I'm not as concerned with whether or not children are allowed to wear grillz as I am with the idea that school exists to teach children to follow specific regulations in specific settings.

Grillz are not that important in the long run, but I bristle at the thought of schools becoming so regulated that children have no choice but to conform to mindless obedience.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

i'm positive if school districts could institute a simple rule to fix "bigger problems" they would, but in the meantime they have to do what they can.
    i mean yeah. but can anyone really say this was a huge problem to begin with or was it just some shit administration didn't like?

i wonder how the board meeting went while discussing this ban

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    See, a year ago I would have said this is bullshit.

But as a high school teacher, I know what a grill does to a class! Kids lose their shit! They want to talk about it, touch it, play with it, the guy wearing it talks all funny, everybody laughs, no one can focus etc etc...

I think you are a perfect example of what schools should be inspiring children to be. You decided to quit working at an office job so you could start your own business doing something you love. That takes a certain amount of creativity and independant thinking, the sort of thing that seems to be discouraged more and more in schools. Grillz are not that important in the long run, but I bristle at the thought of schools becoming so regulated that children have no choice but to conform to mindless obedience.

... and yet, I believe in shit like school uniforms!

I think children should be prepared for whatever they want to do, but most kids I see don't know how to dress for an interview or conduct themselves in a professional manner.

Maybe I'm just a dick, but I think that the biggest lie they tell kids in school is "you can be whatever you want to be when you grow up".

No you can't.

But I guess you kinda have to tell kids that shit.