THE OFFICIAL HATE ON SHADOW'S NEW ALBUM THREAD!!!

PonyPony 2,283 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Not saying I hate it (haven't heard it yet!) but there always seems to be a lot of haters everytime he drops a new one.I've only heard 2 tracks (3 including "3 Freaks") and they were . But theres always a few jams on his albums that I can really get into.I know some of you went to the listening party. Discuss.

Comments

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    post the "enuff" track pls, i wanna hear it too

• wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts
    Here's the 2 recently leaked cuts, as posted in an earlier thread:

Enuff ft. Q-Tip & Lateef

This Time (I'm Gonna Try It My Way)

Also, you can see a live performance of Enuff HERE

Straight up club steez on 'Enuff'. And 'This Time' is a smooth Marvin Gaye throwback from a minute long tape reel of some guy tuning his guitar. Supposedly no samples on that one, all instruments played live. Be interested to hear more about it as the album nears release.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Here's the 2 recently leaked cuts, as posted in an earlier thread:

Enuff ft. Q-Tip & Lateef

This Time (I'm Gonna Try It My Way)

Also, you can see a live performance of Enuff HERE

Straight up club steez on 'Enuff'. And 'This Time' is a smooth Marvin Gaye throwback from a minute long tape reel of some guy tuning his guitar. Supposedly no samples on that one, all instruments played live. Be interested to hear more about it as the album nears release.

Those two tracks are pretty bad and forgettable.

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    ah thanks for the quick response, dunno if it??s a progress of the art that nobody would think that??s a shadow production. but imo, it??s really ear unfriendly.
    take that shit to the pop trash bin

• wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts
    Not really feeling 'Enuff' either, but I gotta say, I like the lyrics and the catchiness of the chorus. I wouldn't say it's totally unlistenable, either.

And I'm curious why the hate on 'This Time'?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    anyone got a better quality version of this time? i enjoyed that song

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Pretty average work. I was certainly expecting more from Shadow.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Me too man. I don't know why everyone is hating on it so much. The violins along with the dudewhowillneverbecreditedbutmademoneyoffof's vocals stir my emotional loins.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

Same here. I'm not a breakbeat connoisseur, so I'm not sure how many layers the song contains, but it sounds as if it could have been created in the early 70's. I don't know if that's a turn-on/off for some, but I dug it. Hell, it sounds like it could be seamlessly mixed into the Uncle Junior's Friday Fish Fry compilation. Not facemelting, but worth repeated listens IMO.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Okay on second listen, I'm kinda liking "This Time", but the drums imho are too upfront. The vocals are lovely, but the drums are just relentless...it's pretty distracting if you ask me.

• sounds like shadow is on the easy listening tip

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Those vocals on the "This Time" record are redone, aren't they? Doesn't really sound like a sample of the original version to me.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Those vocals on the "This Time" record are redone, aren't they? Doesn't really sound like a sample of the original version to me.

This is the story I heard. Whether it's true or not....?

"There are tracks on there which are "all-live", or where only the vocals are sampled. The vocals on 'This Time' are about 40 years old. A recording studio in the Bay Area closed down and a friend of mine got hold of all these reels. It's literally 1 minute 20 seconds of this guy tuning up his guitar, singing this little song, and I just fell in love with that vocal track so I literally built the song around it and I'm happy with the way it came out. I have a lot of imitators back home following the 'Endtroducing' model so I just wanted this album to be as hard to imitate as possible. That's one of the reasons I called it 'The Outsider'."

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    These songs are trash. All technology, no soul.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

"There are tracks on there which are "all-live", or where only the vocals are sampled. The vocals on 'This Time' are about 40 years old. A recording studio in the Bay Area closed down and a friend of mine got hold of all these reels. It's literally 1 minute 20 seconds of this guy tuning up his guitar, singing this little song, and I just fell in love with that vocal track so I literally built the song around it and I'm happy with the way it came out. I have a lot of imitators back home following the 'Endtroducing' model so I just wanted this album to be as hard to imitate as possible. That's one of the reasons I called it 'The Outsider'."

Right, but are you familiar with those 40 year old vocals he's talking about? They sound a little different on the Shadow song to me, like he got somebody to sing it over. I could be wrong, who knows. I would A/B it with the CD-R I have of those vocals, but it's not that big of a deal for me to even go through the trouble. I was just curious about it, that's all.
    BTW, I made a little track with dudes vocals and guitar strumming myself awhile back just for fun... I don't even know what I did with it now, but it's probably around here somewhere. Shadow surely took it to that though.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Ugh that Enuff track got turned off after about 45 seconds of playing. That beat is shite. Maybe I'll listen later and skip to the chorus, but damn. Consider me hatting on that song.

I enjoyed This Time, but its soooo different from Enuff that I have a hard time believing they'll be on the same album.

I don't know how many strutters were completely on Shadow's jock at one time or another, but Entroducing was one of the reasons I started making the music I make. I have to say it's always sadening when each of his releases since then continues to disapoint more and more.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Right, but are you familiar with those 40 year old vocals he's talking about? They sound a little different on the Shadow song to me, like he got somebody to sing it over. I could be wrong, who knows. I would A/B it with the CD-R I have of those vocals, but it's not that big of a deal for me to even go through the trouble. I was just curious about it, that's all.
    BTW, I made a little track with dudes vocals and guitar strumming myself awhile back just for fun... I don't even know what I did with it now, but it's probably around here somewhere. Shadow surely took it to that though.

I figured if anyone knew it would be you. What's the story behind that? If you don't want to spill it I understand. I just hope the dude gets some kind of credit (read: paper) seeing as how his vocals are what makes that song.
    I'm guessing Shadow had live players on there, but is dude rocking a full orchestra now? Sting sections cannot be cheap.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    And find that beat, Phill!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I can absolutely 100% guarantee that the vocals on This Time are not redone. I did some tape transfers for Soulstrut's own Jinx74 (through the SS forums) ~18 months ago and the vocal was on one of the reels. Labeled in yellowed tape "Joe". There were a few other songs on the reel, but "This Time" was the standout. I must have played that track on repeat for months. Just vocals on one track and acoustic guitar on the other. SO AMAZING. When Josh was doing some work in the studio I was at, I asked him if J*&$tin had played him any of the reels we transferred and gave him a copy on CD in case he hadn't heard. I mentioned the "Joe" tracks and how he needed to hear them. Next thing I heard was Jinx calling me up to get the reel because Josh was in love with the song and wanted to use it on the new record.

I was pretty amazed with how the track turned out, especially after listening to the raw version for so long. Maybe at some point that version will get realeased. I have been a fairly unapologetic Shadow geek for a while, so it was a very cool experience.

My .02

Mike

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I can absolutely 100% guarantee that the vocals on This Time are not redone. I did some tape transfers for Soulstrut's own Jinx74 (through the SS forums) ~18 months ago and the vocal was on one of the reels. Labeled in yellowed tape "Joe". There were a few other songs on the reel, but "This Time" was the standout. I must have played that track on repeat for months. Just vocals on one track and acoustic guitar on the other. SO AMAZING. When Josh was doing some work in the studio I was at, I asked him if J*&$tin had played him any of the reels we transferred and gave him a copy on CD in case he hadn't heard. I mentioned the "Joe" tracks and how he needed to hear them. Next thing I heard was Jinx calling me up to get the reel because Josh was in love with the song and wanted to use it on the new record.

I was pretty amazed with how the track turned out, especially after listening to the raw version for so long. Maybe at some point that version will get realeased. I have been a fairly unapologetic Shadow geek for a while, so it was a very cool experience.

My .02

Mike

thanks for sharing this and yes, that track triggers emotions, I am with day on that one...blasted it on repeat last week in the bar I was spinning and will do so tonight too. "enuff" is debatable, as M*r*o said in another thread that it sounds like a UK cat track from 3 years ago trying to be neptunes. But I still like it and hopefully this will get some big club play instead of all that other crap that's usually droppin'...
    and yes, Endtroducing and even the 12"'s before that on Mo Wax were very inspiring for me too, but I can understand if dude doesn't want to do a third rendition of his classic stuff. Moving on is sooo neccessary...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Well I like 3 Freaks and This Time is a nice little tune so 2 out of 3 isn't bad so far.

To be fair, I find it hard to see how Shadow could raise the bar again as much as he did with the release of Endtroducing. Still interested to see what he brings out but I would imagine his focus will be more on good tunes than anything groundbreaking.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    If it was anyone else, y'all would be all over it.

I'm interested in hearing the new lp. I don't mind enuff at all. i mean it sounds like any other pop song out right now, only a little more densely arranged. gotta have something to play on the radio and in the clubs. that's going to cross him over and sell more records. i can't really feel lateef though...never could.

the other track is great, but it does'nt sound like him. some straight up philly soul there.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

I'm guessing Shadow had live players on there, but is dude rocking a full orchestra now? Sting sections keyboards[/b] cannot can[/b] be cheap.

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
    These songs are trash. All technology, no soul.

no soul.

but i did'nt really HATE it. its ok, but im not going to listen to it...
    its way too musical & hi tech (the easy listening track)

and the dancefloor track with q-tip & lateef was wack.

hope we get to hear more classic shadow drumbreak shit on the new album, not only tracks as these ones.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

I'm guessing Shadow had live players on there, but is dude rocking a full orchestra now? Sting sections keyboards[/b] cannot can[/b] be cheap.

I'm thinking Shadow's got major label money for the real thing these days...

Regardless, my $0.02 is that This Time is a nice track-in-progress. Doesn't/shouldn't sound like the final mix though. Drums & bass pushed too high in the mix, overpowers the vocal, which is outstanding. Interesting history. But you know the real reason Shadow wanted it was for the "Shadow haunting me" lyric.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    But Enuff doesn't do much for me as a Shadow track.
    As Neptunes-biting dancefloor fodder, s'a'ight.

Universal rep says: "Josh, we all love the Shadow thing you do, but we're gonna need a hit single to pay for all the session players you hired..."

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I'm not a Shadow hater at all, in fact I think he's very talented, but he's always had some questionable tracks. This Enuff song sucks. No question about that. It MIGHT be OK about 10 bpm slower, but the synth line is not appealing, lateef and q tip sound like they are rapping on a track on one of those NOW compilations or something. Not feeling it. The other track is cool, especially if he really did play everything but the vocals. I just can't get with that 1993 rollerblading techno pop jam sounding shit.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts

and yes, Endtroducing and even the 12"'s before that on Mo Wax were very inspiring for me too, but I can understand if dude doesn't want to do a third rendition of his classic stuff. Moving on is sooo neccessary...

Yeah I didn't mean that I expect more Endtroducing... more like that lp had such a profound effect on me that everything else since then just doesn't stand up to it. I wouldn't want to hear more early-90s style stuff from him now, but I'd like to hear something a little more interesting than tracks like Enuff. Pop fodder wackness.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    If it was anyone else, y'all would be all over it.

I'm interested in hearing the new lp. I don't mind enuff at all. i mean it sounds like any other pop song out right now, only a little more densely arranged. gotta have something to play on the radio and in the clubs. that's going to cross him over and sell more records. i can't really feel lateef though...never could.

the other track is great, but it does'nt sound like him. some straight up philly soul there.

Out of the three tracks I've heard so far, "This Time" is my fave...definitely reminds me of some classic 70's orchestrated soul with a modern (not Moder) twist. The other 2 songs are cut from a more current mainstream mold, and while that kind of stuff is not my usual bag, I can truly appreciate the diversity Shadow is going for on this LP. (it would be cool if he threw in a boogie-styled track in there as well.) I will definitely be checking for this album.

SG

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

Yeah I didn't mean that I expect more Endtroducing... more like that lp had such a profound effect on me that everything else since then just doesn't stand up to it. I wouldn't want to hear more early-90s style stuff from him now, but I'd like to hear something a little more interesting than tracks like Enuff. Pop fodder wackness.

yeah, I get ur point. But maybe thats his new thing then. just he's, erm, more pluralistic about things. someone mentioned that "This time" and "Enuff" don't even sound like being on the same album...then again, it doesn't make the music better (in case you don't like it), but it reaches further if you have more diversity...and true, he probably (at least on us that got "endtroduced" during the 90's) will never have that impact again with his music...who does that? Maybe De La Soul? Not sure if this is also an age thing, meaning at what point of your life you were introduced to albums (esp. when they are "current shit" when you are/were between 14-20)...mis dos centos...