Leon Ware version's of Marvin's "I want You" LP?

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
I was flipping through some magazines and I said saw an ad about Marvin's "I want you" being re-mastered and released as the original version: completely sung by Leon Ware. Anywhere here this version yet? I'm suprised no one has talked about it.Drewn? Young Fauxnics?

Comments

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I was flipping through some magazines and I said saw an ad about Marvin's "I want you" being re-mastered and released as the original version: completely sung by Leon Ware. Anywhere here this version yet? I'm suprised no one has talked about it.

Drewn? Young Fauxnics?

Are you talking about the Leon Ware "Musical Massage" remaster that came out a few years back? That one featurs a number of tracks led by Ware that were later re-done by Gaye for "I Want You."

I checked Amazon for a remastered version of "I Want You" and only found the 2CD "Deluxe" edition featuring all Marvin-led cuts. The 2nd disc does offer an alternate version, but none of the reviews mention them being sung by Ware.

SG

• I think this maybe what you are thinking of...

Leon Ware -- Musical Massage (Expanded & Remastered) . . . CD . . . $8.99 List Price: $11.98 (Item: 73083)
    Gordy/Motown, 1976 Condition: New Copy View Cart
    Amazing stuff! Arguably Leon Ware's greatest record -- and one of the greatest Motown records of the 70's! The record is a beautiful set of interwoven mellow soul tracks, recorded right on the heels of Marvin Gaye's I Want You album, which was written and conceived by Ware, then taken at the last minute by Marvin! For this set, Ware creates a very similar sound -- mixing together smooth keyboards with subtle bits of funk and electronics, all wrapped up in his own sweet warm vocals, which sound better here than on any other album. The whole thing's filled with loads of beautiful tracks, including "French Waltz", "Journey Into You", "Phantom Lover", and the great "Turn Out the Light", written with Minnie Riperton. Plus, this reissue features 5 previously unissued bonus tracks -- Leon's original versions of "Comfort (aka Come Live With Me Angel)", recorded with Minnie Riperton, and "I Wanna Be Where You Are", both done by Marvin Gaye on I Want You, plus the tracks "Don't You Wanna Come", "Long Time No See", and "You Are The Way You Are".

Edit: reread the first post, maybe not.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I think this maybe what you are thinking of...

Leon Ware -- Musical Massage (Expanded & Remastered) . . . CD . . . $8.99 List Price: $11.98 (Item: 73083)
    Gordy/Motown, 1976 Condition: New Copy View Cart
    Amazing stuff! Arguably Leon Ware's greatest record -- and one of the greatest Motown records of the 70's! The record is a beautiful set of interwoven mellow soul tracks, recorded right on the heels of Marvin Gaye's I Want You album, which was written and conceived by Ware, then taken at the last minute by Marvin! For this set, Ware creates a very similar sound -- mixing together smooth keyboards with subtle bits of funk and electronics, all wrapped up in his own sweet warm vocals, which sound better here than on any other album. The whole thing's filled with loads of beautiful tracks, including "French Waltz", "Journey Into You", "Phantom Lover", and the great "Turn Out the Light", written with Minnie Riperton. Plus, this reissue features 5 previously unissued bonus tracks -- Leon's original versions of "Comfort (aka Come Live With Me Angel)", recorded with Minnie Riperton, and "I Wanna Be Where You Are", both done by Marvin Gaye on I Want You, plus the tracks "Don't You Wanna Come", "Long Time No See", and "You Are The Way You Are".

Edit: reread the first post, maybe not.

DOPE. I can't wait to check this out

Paptrick - send me an mp3 of Jorge Porgay!

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

DOPE. I can't wait to check this out

Yeah, me too! Normally I don't buy CD's but these Deluxe-Editions are pure
    I already got Marvin's "What's Going On" and "Let's Get It On"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I was flipping through some magazines and I said saw an ad about Marvin's "I want you" being re-mastered and released as the original version: completely sung by Leon Ware. Anywhere here this version yet? I'm suprised no one has talked about it.

Drewn? Young Fauxnics?

I think the person who said that just didn't know what they were talking about, although since Leon did originally come up with the I Want You material with the intention that it be his own Motown debut, it is possible that rough early versions with his vocals do exist somewhere.

Musical Massage is a real dope record, though.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I checked Amazon for a remastered version of "I Want You" and only found the 2CD "Deluxe" edition featuring all Marvin-led cuts. The 2nd disc does offer an alternate version, but none of the reviews mention them being sung by Ware.

I have this CD, and the 2nd disc contains intrumental cuts, alternate takes, and unreleased tracks. They have Ware's hands all over them, but aren't the solo tracks you're looking for.

Also, I highly recommend this double CD, along with the Deluxe versions of "Let's Get It On" and "What's Going On." So much amazing unreleased material among them.

I have this CD, and the 2nd disc contains intrumental cuts, alternate takes, and unreleased tracks. They have Ware's hands all over them, but aren't the solo tracks you're looking for.

Also, I highly recommend this double CD, along with the Deluxe versions of "Let's Get It On" and "What's Going On." So much amazing unreleased material among them.

And everyone who hasn't already read this book and considers themselves a fan of Marvin really needs to check it:

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    That is an excellent book. It's about 100 times better than this piece of schitt:

That is an excellent book. It's about 100 times better than this piece of schitt:

Dyson is good as a public speaker at the popular level--I am glad that there is somebody who can go on talk shows and such and express the ideas that he does in such an accessible and convincing fashion--but his books are terds.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

And everyone who hasn't already read this book and considers themselves a fan of Marvin really needs to check it:

I've read that book numerous times and although dry in some places, I highly recommend it. It adds a whole other dimension to listening to his music.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

Dyson is good as a public speaker at the popular level--I am glad that there is somebody who can go on talk shows and such and express the ideas that he does in such an accessible and convincing fashion--but his books are terds.

Whenever dude is on C-Span i turn off all my phones, crack a brew, and just watch

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Whenever dude is on C-Span i turn off all my phones, crack a brew, and just watch

True indeed. Easily the best and most engaging professor I've ever had.

However:

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

However:

HA SPEAKING OF HIS APPEARANCE ON C-SPAN! Dude recited some Tupac lyrics with such fervor and clarity....it was damn embarassing. He came across more of a fanboy than a scholar of the bandana'd one.

However:

HA SPEAKING OF HIS APPEARANCE ON C-SPAN! Dude recited some Tupac lyrics with such fervor and clarity....it was damn embarassing. He came across more of a fanboy than a scholar of the bandana'd one.[/b]

That's a pretty accurate description of the book, too.