Funky Riddms closing?

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Anyone know this store in Berkeley? I drove by yesterday and saw he had a sign in his window saying he's closing up shop this month. Man, what a bummer. Not quite Groove Merchant quality but the next best thing and closer to my home. I'm gonna bounce by there today and pick some stuff up. Damn shame. I wonder why he's closing up. Moving along? Poor sales? Losing his lease?

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    dam! that store was mad decent. I always hit it up when I was in the neck-of-the-woods.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    That was a long time coming. Back when I lived in CA (circa 01-03) Gabe was saying that the store wasn't doing too hot and that he'd have to close soon.

Honestly though that store was trash, and well, I haven't been in since Gabe pulled some shady isht on some records. So good riddance IMO.

Only thing to recommend it was that, you know, you find a $60 record in there for $10....

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Honestly though that store was trash, and well, I haven't been in since Gabe pulled some shady isht on some records. So good riddance IMO.

His selection wasn't always the dopest but I did pick up a record or two in there that was hard to find elsewhere. I don't know if I want to know about any shady shit he might have pulled. If he's closing up I'd just like to keep my fond memories of the place.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I liked that spot...picked up some nice records there back in 2001...the thing that confused me was even if he sold every record out on the floor, it wouldnt seem you could still even make rent, not many records, but some nice ones

I liked that spot...picked up some nice records there back in 2001...the thing that confused me was even if he sold every record out on the floor, it wouldnt seem you could still even make rent, not many records, but some nice ones

Who knows what he did on the side to make extra cash (nudge, wink, nudge). No, seriously. Not trying to insinuate anything. I always asked if he sold anything on the internet. Said he didn't. I know he spun shows and I always overheard him talking about producing. Wonder what he's going to be doing now.

That's super real. There was a ton of hip-hop but nobody in the Bay Area buys classic hip-hop records. The rest was pretty paltry, if I remember. I think he made most of his money on accessories and new releases.

But honestly, I've been back to the Bay every 6 months, I always buy a couple crates worth, and I never need to hit up his shop, I never regret missing it...

Those who know, know what I'm talking about...

Oh and btw... he DEFINITELY was selling on ebay... see, it's shady stuff like that... never mind

"REAL-HEADZ-KNOW-THE-DEAL ALERT!!! [/b]

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

What, you ain't knowin'?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

What, you ain't knowin'?

But did you get the memo we sent out?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

What, you ain't knowin'?

But did you get the memo we sent out?

I'm gonna need you to go ahead and use the new cover sheet for all your TPS reports, mmmkay?

• I thought it was a good store. I dropped in every couple months and usually walked out with a good 45 or a handful of classic hip hop 12s. The dude does seem upbeat about his future so that's cool. Don't know why whether he sold on ebay is an issue or not, but I'm sure I don't know what's not to know,

I but I'm sure I don't know what's not to know,

See above for said memo.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

d-d-d-d-dats my red stapler.

Oh and btw... he DEFINITELY was selling on ebay... see, it's shady stuff like that... never mind

Your bar is set real low on the shady-meter if something minor like that even registers but I'm not here to start beef and certainly not trying to defend Gabe if he did pull some shit. Just saying.

Your bar is set real low on the shady-meter if something minor like that even registers but I'm not here to start beef and certainly not trying to defend Gabe if he did pull some shit. Just saying.

No, that's not the issue at all. But dishonesty overall.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i used to go to that place quite regularly but i haven't been in a year. not exactly sure why, but i think i've just found better things at other shops. maybe i'll stop by this week for the last time.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The shop's closing because it's been losing money for ages. Gabe's managed to help pay the rent through DJing - dude gigs a lot - but his store sales just weren't popping off. Personally, I don't think he had a solid business plan to operate from - that's not a diss, just an observation.

JP - he sold SOME things online but for the most part, he avoided extensive eBaying which I think was a mistake. There were many items sitting in his store that he could have moved out the door via eBay and still maintained a stock of good records for his local customers. In general, if you've had the same 12" up on the wall for a year, that's not a good sign. TIme to stick that sucker on the 'Bay.

I know a lot of folks aren't crazy about Gabe - I've always had pretty good dealings with him personally but I know that feeling isn't universal. His store was better than some are giving credit for...he ROUTINELY had very good records at very good prices. I rarely saw anything there that I thought was exhorbitantly overpriced. If anything, I came up on some really great records there over the years at prices I would never have been able to enjoy at other specaiality stores and certainly not on eBay. I think my best purchase was the "Best Kept Secret" remix promo (45 King) which I probably paid...30, maybe 35 for? I thought that was a fair price and then I started seeing it sell online for three times that!

But hey, at least the Groove Merchant is still here. That's what counts

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i forget why i got a badvibe from that place and that dude. ithink i definitely sounded off to johnny AI and odub when we had our summit meeting, but i forget why. probably me being picky

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    ahhhh, Funky Riddims is where I found my "Distortion to Static rmx" 12 many moons ago plus some other joints at a nice price. ahhh, memories.

You know what? It's awful to wish somebody bad who is going through it like that. True enough, before dude came with the bullshit I came up on a lot of heat. And even though dude kinda knew ebay or whatever, he didn't charge at all ridiculous prices... Oliver, that Diamond D is ridiculous. There were plenty of things like that... "Tonights The Night RMX", "Walk Into The Sun RMX" 12"s for nice prices and shit.

i think its usually a sad thing for an independent record store to close. i think dude was a little arrogant and condescending toward me, but he wasnt high on his prices.

come to think of it, i remember trying to talk him down a couple bucks on a fairly priced joint....so maybe i'm the dickhead

• NO COMMENT

NO COMMENT

Hey, don't knock it bitch.

NO COMMENT

greedy rubiyat hoarder.

• well... i guess it's better than being like gabe at funky riddims...

B.O.X. ( beyond ordinary exisitance ) & MR. LEE 12" horder!

• i heard he has a copy of McGruff for sale.

i think its usually a sad thing for an independent record store to close. i think dude was a little arrogant and condescending toward me, but he wasnt high on his prices.

You know, I get that vibe from a lot of small shops. Like I'm almost unwelcomed there. Has everything to do with the person behind the counter. Only record store I've ever been too that really made me feel welcomed was Rooky Ricardo's on Haight St. That dude is fucking awesome but nobody ever seems to mention his shop.