Good "Cinema" You've Seen Lately...

guy_alcindorguy_alcindor 621 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Maybe it was "The Proposition" or something along those lines, or the Godard retrospective at your local art house, what hit you in the cinematic gourd lately?Recently watched Kenneth Anger's "Scorpio Rising", and John Waters' "Multiple Maniacs"... low budget trash-uloid at its best!!! Finally saw Roger Vadim's "And God Created Woman", pretty ehh...

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Love Streams - write-up from Cinematheque Ontario. It was amazing.

Underrated and impossible to see (except on a French import DVD), John Cassavetes??? LOVE STREAMS, based on a play by Canadian Ted Allan, reappears in this deluxe new print from Sony Entertainment. Cassavetes, who ushered in the American independent movement with his staggering debut SHADOWS, confirms in this, his penultimate film, the unflagging auteurism that made his body of work one of the most unique and unified of post-Fifties cinema. A thematic summation of his twenty-five-year career, LOVE STREAMS is a rough and raw examination of love: its limits and falsities, its teetering into delusion, its power to destroy and to set free. Robert Harman, played with remarkable strength by Cassavetes (when Jon Voigt pulled out of the project mere weeks before shooting he was forced into the role, though suffering from the cancer that was to take his life) is a high-rolling, perpetually inebriated romance novelist with wildly unorthodox research methods living up in the Hollywood Hills in a house filled with a bevy of babes and a cross-section of Noah???s Ark. Gena Rowlands, preternaturally enthralling, is Sarah Lawson, Robert???s loopy sister whose recent divorce (from Seymour Cassel, in a re-casting of MINNIE AND MOSKOWITZ) results in her estrangement from her daughter, and a lunacy that is equally tragic and absurd (note the GREED-like epic expansion of her hair). The depths of desperation are mined and contrasted through Robert???s ambivalence towards love and Sarah???s embarrassingly juvenile surfeit of affection. The performances are so naked that their fragility cuts through the film???s fiction, making LOVE STREAMS ???a movie that gets better with every viewing??? (Dennis Lim, The Village Voice). Not to be missed.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=286

i thought this was really really funny and ahead of its time.

Baron Ferdinando Cefal (Marcello Mastroianni) longs to marry his nubile young cousin Angela (Stefania Sandrelli), but one obstacle stands in his way: his fatuous and fawning wife, Rosalia (Daniela Rocca). His solution? Since divorce is illegal, he hatches a plan to lure his spouse into the arms of another and then murder her in a justifiable effort to save his honor. The Criterion Collection is proud to present director Pietro Germi's hilarious and cutting satire of Sicilian male-chauvinist culture, winner of the 1962 Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Well, I don't know if a Roger Corman production would rate as good cinema by the intelligentsia, but I just watched "Deathrace 2000" for the first time, and I found it thoroughly enjoyable in all its corny splendor. Sly Stallone is pretty funny in it.

• Criterions are great packages. One of my favourites of recent memory was this one - ahead of its time most def:

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Repulsion

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Really one of the better standouts of the blaxploitation genre

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

disturbing, but good

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Maybe it was "The Proposition"

My favorite movie in a longtime- highly recommend!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Criterions are great packages. One of my favourites of recent memory was this one - ahead of its time most def:

Been meaning to see this for way too long.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

Underrated and impossible to see (except on a French import DVD), John Cassavetes??? LOVE STREAMS, based on a play by Canadian Ted Allan, reappears in this deluxe new print from Sony Entertainment. Cassavetes, who ushered in the American independent movement with his staggering debut SHADOWS, confirms in this, his penultimate film, the unflagging auteurism that made his body of work one of the most unique and unified of post-Fifties cinema. A thematic summation of his twenty-five-year career, LOVE STREAMS is a rough and raw examination of love: its limits and falsities, its teetering into delusion, its power to destroy and to set free. Robert Harman, played with remarkable strength by Cassavetes (when Jon Voigt pulled out of the project mere weeks before shooting he was forced into the role, though suffering from the cancer that was to take his life) is a high-rolling, perpetually inebriated romance novelist with wildly unorthodox research methods living up in the Hollywood Hills in a house filled with a bevy of babes and a cross-section of Noah???s Ark. Gena Rowlands, preternaturally enthralling, is Sarah Lawson, Robert???s loopy sister whose recent divorce (from Seymour Cassel, in a re-casting of MINNIE AND MOSKOWITZ) results in her estrangement from her daughter, and a lunacy that is equally tragic and absurd (note the GREED-like epic expansion of her hair). The depths of desperation are mined and contrasted through Robert???s ambivalence towards love and Sarah???s embarrassingly juvenile surfeit of affection. The performances are so naked that their fragility cuts through the film???s fiction, making LOVE STREAMS ???a movie that gets better with every viewing??? (Dennis Lim, The Village Voice). Not to be missed.

oh missbassie. missbassie missbassie.

oh and lest i forget, you folks really need to get "Grandma's Boy". greatest flick i seen in a long long long long time.

oh missbassie. missbassie missbassie.

lol - i know i know - when will you come to the light?

you know that scene towards the end where cassavetes is on his couch having some sort of "episode"? that's how im feeling right now.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

There is a good French remake of this that came out recently.

you know that scene towards the end where cassavetes is on his couch having some sort of "episode"? that's how im feeling right now.

perhaps a stiff drink, a gazillion cigarettes and two las vegas hookers will help?

i can't believe how much smoking there was in that film...i don't think there was one scene without smoking. usually a lot of smoking ina movie makes me want a cigarette, not after this movie though!

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

disturbing, but good

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is blowing up right now. Brick is probably the best new movie I've seen in 6 months, although I think Brick is not for everyone (i.e. it will probably piss off about 50% of the people who see it)

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I love what Criterion has done as far as stepping up the game in the homd LD/DVD market (e.g., a big proponent for preserving original aspect ratios, director approved editions, restorations, etc.) and glad they're around, but the blind fetishism some film nerd circles have for the label is a tad annoying. But yeah, The Honeymoon Killers is dope.

Anyway, the last memorable movies I've seen recently

In theater: Brick - It's a great juxtaposition of film noir archetypes and high school drama. Amazing that this was a debut feature-length film for the director.

On DVD: Bad Day At Black Rock - Just a great, well-paced, suspensful, noir-meets-modern-western with a one-armed WWII vet played by Spencer Tracy uncovering the dirty secret of a sleepy western town.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Saw this for the first time over the weekend. It was good, not spectacular. Sellers is the fuggin' man, though, and the set design and colors and whatnot are great.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Only one 9 minute reel survives of this full-length film
    shot in 1928. I saw it for the first time on TCM the other night,
    although apparently they show it quite often as filler between films.
    Yes, only 9 minutes, but it manages to convey more romance, drama, tension,
    passion and beauty in 9 minutes than most films can get across in 2 hours.
    Garbo's only "lost" movie - watch for it.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

disturbing, but good

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is blowing up right now. Brick is probably the best new movie I've seen in 6 months, although I think Brick is not for everyone (i.e. it will probably piss off about 50% of the people who see it)

I really liked Brick.

Here's an old movie I hadn't seen before (the first 30 mins is )

And this documentary was great (actually how I found out about the movie above)

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Ha ha, the exact thing happened to me. Caught the Z Channel doc on IFC, and ran out and rented Le Magnifique right after. Since then, my local video store (Videoscope in Mtn View, highly recommended) has aquired it on DVD, are the extras worth a second renting?

Also, for those who enjoyed Brick, might I suggest The original 1949 D.O.A., which is now available free for download from the Internet Archive.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

• rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts

Ha ha, the exact thing happened to me. Caught the Z Channel doc on IFC, and ran out and rented Le Magnifique right after. Since then, my local video store (Videoscope in Mtn View, highly recommended) has aquired it on DVD, are the extras worth a second renting?

Also, for those who enjoyed Brick, might I suggest The original 1949 D.O.A., which is now available free for download from the Internet Archive.

Yeah the original DOA is classic. Does anybody know the name of the 1940's noir movie where Dan Duryea plays a drunk piano player framed for murder? Great movie from what I remember, but it has been many years since I've seen it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Does anybody know the name of the 1940's noir movie where Dan Duryea plays a drunk piano player framed for murder? Great movie from what I remember, but it has been many years since I've seen it.

The Black Angel

Based on one of Cornell Woolrich's best novels - and now available on DVD!

Does anybody know the name of the 1940's noir movie where Dan Duryea plays a drunk piano player framed for murder? Great movie from what I remember, but it has been many years since I've seen it.

The Black Angel

Yeah that's the one...good looking out! I'll have to rent that one again.

The Black Angel

Yeah that's the one...good looking out! I'll have to rent that one again.

Great ending too from what I remember.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    3 lately that I reallly dug:

most impactful thing ive seen in a while

of hawks and sparrows --- Pasolini at his lightest. good late night shit

man this was kinda heavy. chris marker seems likea bit of a dick but the film itself its quite breathtaking

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    I highly recommend "Kekexili: Mountain Patrol". Its about rangers in Tibet who track down antelope poachers. It was an excellent movie, best I've seen in a long time. It was directed by Chinese director Lu Chuan, who did "The Missing Gun".

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -