portable turntables...worth getting?

nerstylistnerstylist 38 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
i was actually thinking of purchasing one of these for digging purposes, but i know that they're forbidden at certain record stores. what's your take on em? any models to recommend? discuss.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    i was actually thinking of purchasing one of these for digging purposes, but i know that they're forbidden at certain record stores. what's your take on em? any models to recommend?

discuss.

Portables are cheating. Just take a chance and buy everything you can. That is the way the legendary diggers learned their game. Also no fair looking on the internet for info about records. Just start reading all the fine print on all your records and figure it out for yourself.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    i was actually thinking of purchasing one of these for digging purposes, but i know that they're forbidden at certain record stores. what's your take on em? any models to recommend?

discuss.

Portables are cheating. Just take a chance and buy everything you can. That is the way the legendary diggers learned their game. Also no fair looking on the internet for info about records. Just start reading all the fine print on all your records and figure it out for yourself.

I say do all those things. Look at records on the internet, use a portable (when the prices warrant it) etc., BUT there's definitley something to be said about winging it. I think you get a (corn alert) diggers intuition after so many years of looking through stuff. Taking chances with cheap records is definitley where it's at. It's like Christmas morning everytime you get home. Sometimes you get some underwear, sometimes you get a brand new bike.

I have a pretty good gut instinct and most of it, I think, comes from digging for years with no portable at all.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    There's something to be said for the surprise of putting a record on based on a kick-ass cover or the mention of a cool session player or producer on the jacket.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    There's something to be said for the surprise of putting a record on based on a kick-ass cover or the mention of a cool session player or producer on the jacket.
    yeah but do you mean a good surprise or a bad one? cause hoping for a bomb and discovering it's a dud is pretty damn disappointing.

re the portable, Ive never seen anyone use one in my local digs. prolly has a lot to do with lack of space though.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    yeah but do you mean a good surprise or a bad one? cause hoping for a bomb and discovering it's a dud is pretty damn disappointing.

re the portable, Ive never seen anyone use one in my local digs. prolly has a lot to do with lack of space though.

I think I'm sick in the head, because even duds aren't that bad to me. I just move on.

With the portables, I'd be afraid of scratching someone else's merchandise.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Don't bother getting one. I have one and rarely use it, the only time it comes in handy is when your out of town digging and need something to listen to your records at the end of the day.

Plus all the fun is in taking those records home and seeing what you got!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    if you don't have a huge collection, then yes wing it. Whereas I'm sick of records to be honest, trying hard to pare down. If I am bringing anymore home, you best be damn sure it's something I celebrate before that happens. I do not need any more sample fodder records, no thanks.

Listening stations are pretty standard for most stores nowadays. I would say 2/3rds have em....

economical: numark or fisher price

top end: sound burger

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I'm thinking abot getting one, mainly for picnic purposes. Gotta put those easy listening joints to good use.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

discuss.

A. If you want to buy a vestax handi I have one to sell or trade for records.

B. I say they are very useful at thrifts, fleas, and record conventions. A lot of people in the thread mention digging at stores.. is that really digging? That's just record shopping right? Anyways, yeah if you shop at stores mostly then not so neccesary.

If you are at a thrift this is fun, just go to the electronics dept and piece together your own listening station. You might find some good stereo equipment while you are at it.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    if you don't have a huge collection, then yes wing it. Whereas I'm sick of

economical: numark or fisher price

top end: sound burger

Releated Q - has anyone tried to re-wire a portable that has a speaker with a headphone jack??? That seems to be the downside of a lot of the nice fisher price-esque portables I come across.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    Portables are mad necessary when you're on foreign ground. For instance, I came up on a cd shop in an Indian section somewhere around London.....

and it was about 6 hrs of virtually indistinguishable Bollywood record covers. I got dizzy from all of em. The portable kept me focused.

I got nice pics but I actually don't know how to post those joints.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I say they are very useful at thrifts, fleas, and record conventions. A lot of people in the thread mention digging at stores.. is that really digging? That's just record shopping right?

so, buying records at record stores is "shopping"
    but buying records at record shows is "digging?"

LOL is this like the difference between "rap" and "hip hop?"

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    If you are at a thrift this is fun, just go to the electronics dept and piece together your own listening station. You might find some good stereo equipment while you are at it.

WOW - what a great idea! And best of all, you won't look even the least bit retarded.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

WOW - what a great idea! And best of all, you won't look even the least bit retarded.

Portables are good for listening to records while at work.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

Oh yeah.. well .. I think you look retarded

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Oh yeah.. well .. I think you look retarded

As Shig would say - "HELLA MODED BRO!"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I always bring my portable to shows, road trips, etc.... and almost never use it (unless I have a motel for the evening and want to listen to the "finds").

But I am always glad I have it just in case... at a show I am usually focused on speed digging but when I have time to go back and check out some pricey things I might otherwise not know... that is good... but it is rare that I do that, usually if it's cheap enough and looks interesting I just grab it.

Occasionally it is good in a store with a lot of oddball shit and no listening device. Great for 45s where there is basically an endless amount of unknown (to you) records.

Good thing to have, but not at all necessary.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Releated Q - has anyone tried to re-wire a portable that has a speaker with a headphone jack??? That seems to be the downside of a lot of the nice fisher price-esque portables I come across.

I've had this done and it's quite easy for any electrician to do. Shouldn't cost too much either. Just make sure they can install a stereo jack or else you'll be listening to your shit on one ear (not so hot).

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I always bring my portable to shows, road trips, etc.... and almost never use it (unless I have a motel for the evening and want to listen to the "finds").

But I am always glad I have it just in case... at a show I am usually focused on speed digging but when I have time to go back and check out some pricey things I might otherwise not know... that is good... but it is rare that I do that, usually if it's cheap enough and looks interesting I just grab it.

Occasionally it is good in a store with a lot of oddball shit and no listening device. Great for 45s where there is basically an endless amount of unknown (to you) records.

Good thing to have, but not at all necessary.

This pretty much sums it up in my opinion...I'm glad I have one, but don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would.

• like what was said it depends on where you are. good for fleas/yard sales but alot of times i just skip it and just buy the stuff without a preview. Ive found a couple bad skips that i may not have noticed until i get home which is nice. it comes in handy while bar-b-qing and drinkin brews on the porch.