Has Friday turned out to be all that?

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
I got some grants to review, but I could still get into some shit.I had high hopes for the Jay-Z Fratboy thread, but it's fizzling.Word cup thread?Where's it at?Action.Anything?

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Pretty dead today. I agree.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Not for me... I'm trying to get my boss fired and I just put my team on unofficial strike. Hehehe... the power struggle begins

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Man, lame friday here...logged some tape, and just found out i've got to come in tomorrow at 10, instead of 2 as i thought. at least I'm off MOnday.

This friday is pretty

Not for me... I'm trying to get my boss fired and I just put my team on unofficial strike. Hehehe... the power struggle begins

I demand details!

I'm having one of those work days that will pretty much be dead all morning but I know shit will hit the fan after lunch.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    i have beed waiting all day for the Andrew Bird webcast from Bonnaroo.

i know, i know,,,,but i love Andrew Bird's stuff and they are playing his set at blueroom.att.com. 1PM Central so 2PM for me, which seems as though its never going to get here.

Friday June 16th Lineup*

12:30 PM World Party
    01:00 PM Andrew Bird
    02:00 PM Ben Folds
    03:00 PM Steel Pulse
    04:30 PM Devendra Banhart
    05:30 PM Oysterhead
    07:30 PM Bright Eyes
    08:30 PM NEW! - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

Saturday June 17th, Lineup*

12:30 PM Neville Brothers
    02:00 PM Buddy Guy
    03:15 PM Dungen
    04:00 PM Gomez
    05:30 PM Elvis Costello and The Imposters
    07:00 PM Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley
    08:30 PM My Morning Jacket

Sunday June 18th Lineup*

12:30 PM Brothers Past
    01:30 PM Les Claypool
    03:00 PM The Codetalkers feat. Bruce Hampton
    04:00 PM Matisyahu
    05:30 PM moe.
    07:00 PM Bela Fleck & the Flecktones
    08:30 PM Phil Lesh & Friends
    10:30 PM Very Special Guest

Only a few of these that i would like to check out. i have been to Bonnaroo three times and there is always something to be checking out whether you can tolerate hippies or not. Saw a pretty sick MMW, Antibalas horns, Cyro Baptista show there.
    Some good (and bad) DJ'ing going on. But anyway this is just about Andrew Bird. He's going on at the afore and above mentioned time. If you're bored, it'll be a good hour.

I demand details!

Alright, why not... I have to leave the company name out of this though (even though I think you already know where I work)

So I have managed the web marketing team at my company for a while now and we're highly regarded as one of the most dependable groups. I have 3 other people on my team... a designer, a content developer and an application developer. Along with managing the team and all our content, marketing efforts and corporate messaging on the web, I also administer our enterprise content management system software, our web servers and our web databases. We are strong like bull.

About 6 months ago, we were acquired by a Japanese company. Awesome... I get paid out nicely. Because my team was so respected, we were given the responsibility of building the new corporate site of the integrated company over 8 languages and I get promoted. More awesome... I get paid out nicely.

But then there's the issue of my counterpart at the new company... he gets placed as manager of me, and that's it. Dude doesn't even live around here and works from home 7 days a week, 14+ hours a day. Total loser without a friggin clue. As part of the acquired company, I just had to accept it.

Now this guy comes in and just starts fucking everything up. I have a laundry list of his unrealistic expectations about my team's work hours, his attempts at taking credit for my team's work, his threats to me, his unprofessional racist and sexist comments, so on and so forth. I've done my best to shield my team from him, but he gets through and now everyone's a flight risk.

Now I've just taken it for the past couple months, but it escalated too far this week. I sent my designer to a conference in Vegas because he's been unhappy since the acquisition and needed some inspiration and just plain fun. My application developer went to Europe for the World Cup... plans he's had for a long time now that I had no problem with. It's summer, people take vacations, they're entitled to it. I'm willing to pick up the slack while they're out, but my boss flips out and starts hammering at me about our dedication, work ethic, blah, blah. Dude expects us to put in his hours which are unhealthy and unrealistic. This is SIlicon Valley 2006 not Silicon Valley 1998... no one's making millions so no one's sacrificing their entire lives. We produce solid results in a timely manner, that's all that should matter... not sitting in front of our desk all day every day.

On top of that, I sent out a preliminary beta site concept for review to a lot of people around the company and titled the email "The beautiful integrated site so far" and he replies to ALL with a new title "The somewhat beautiful integrated site so far" and rips into what we had come up with after months of solid demanding work. The combined site has 5,000+ pages of content in 8 languages and we started the integration process 3 months ago and somehow he expects it to be done even though our launch date is in October!!??

So I've decided to compile all my dirt on this guy and send it to HR. Even though we're the acquired company, we still hold the power in the US office as we consumed the 40 people from the US office of the parent company. Our HR is in charge of US policy so that gives me an edge. Plus I have my whole team on my side. If it comes down to an "us or him" situation, I'm confident we'd win with our track record and the fact that this guy is pissing everyone off, not just us, by getting in their business and trying to undermine their authority.

Well, that's basically it. We'll see what happens. Hopefully this guy gets the

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Hopefully this guy gets what he deserves.

Likewise, hopefully you and your crew get what you deserve too. Good luck.

I demand details!

Alright, why not... I have to leave the company name out of this though (even though I think you already know where I work)

So I have managed the web marketing team at my company for a while now and we're highly regarded as one of the most dependable groups. I have 3 other people on my team... a designer, a content developer and an application developer. Along with managing the team and all our content, marketing efforts and corporate messaging on the web, I also administer our enterprise content management system software, our web servers and our web databases. We are strong like bull.

< snip >

Well, that's basically it. We'll see what happens. Hopefully this guy gets the

Damn, I was going to say I enjoy working at small businesses because there's no office politics to deal with but shit was like a hurricane at my old company. Not too much unlike the shit you probably went through with AllDorm. How is that shady dude thing going with that?

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    I'm packing to head out to Bonnaroo! Surprised no one's mentioned the 4-day event with a spinkling of decent Hip Hop and some interesting OG Soul cats (Allen Toussaint!!)

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    that johnny paychecks / jus skye thing is next level

Damn, I was going to say I enjoy working at small businesses because there's no office politics to deal with but shit was like a hurricane at my old company. Not too much unlike the shit you probably went through with AllDorm.

There's office politics in both types of companies, they're just different flavors. I would say big company politics are easier to deal with because they're less personal.

I'm liking this strike thing... just went to the mall and got some new kicks and added to my "Marina SF" striped button down Element shirt collection. Gonna go play some foosball in a bit here. I may never go back to work!

How is that shady dude thing going with that?

Surprisingly real well. It turns out my name is highly respected around these parts and his is highly disrespected so I've got great lawyers on the case and all of Sandhill Road (Venture Capitalist land) behind me. I've been talking to people we met with back in the day and they've all been saying the same thing... 'we really thought highly of you, but that other guy seemed too shady'.

It's gonna drag on for a while, though, but it's looking promising as I have a ton of evidence of fraud against this asshole.