DJing Weddings??

ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
What's up everybody. So me and my friend are gonna DJ this wedding soon and I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice on order of things and whatnaut.My friend has done this before but I just don't trust his selection and his way of things fully so I want to be able to put on a good show myself. Mexican family so I gotta play a lot of Spanish music. I got a lot of Spanish music but I never got the titles of the songs I used to hear at quinceneras and other weddings. I would just like to know some Spanish necessities...please. Thanks in advance.....

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    as great as the $$$ is i personally stay as far away from weddings as possible, but if i was you, i'd talk to the couple and find out what the family wants to hear. that would prob be your best bet.

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    I get what you mean. Scary cuz it's a big event.

I don't think they mind what we play but I want to play typical spanish music among all sorts of shit, I just don't know the got damn titles. I know suavemente is essential but that's the only name that comes to mind.

• tjamestjames 156 Posts
    as great as the $$$ is i personally stay as far away from weddings as possible, but if i was you, i'd talk to the couple and find out what the family wants to hear. that would prob be your best bet.

cosign!

Definately find out what the family wants to hear - not just the bride and groom. Often people want a particular sound/ feel at their wedding but neglect the actual audience that will be in attendance. I once played a wedding where the couple really wanted nothin but downtempo (?)... most of the guests were elderly Sri Lankans; thankfully one of the guests had a CD of the "Sri Lankan sounds of the 70's" and we got down.

tjames

• tjamestjames 156 Posts

As for your request re: Spanish music, my apologies, I've got no suggestions. Maybe check out Tower records for comps etc. and cross reference it with allmusic's artist guide.

tjames

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I just don't trust his selection and his way of things fully so I want to be able to put on a good show myself.

red flag

I got a lot of Spanish music but I never got the titles of the songs I used to hear at quinceneras and other weddings

red flag

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I just don't trust his selection and his way of things fully so I want to be able to put on a good show myself.

red flag

I got a lot of Spanish music but I never got the titles of the songs I used to hear at quinceneras and other weddings

red flag

Yes, If these are concerns and if you don't speak spanish, or can't handle a mic. Give them some notice and help them find someone else who can do it. You do not want to fuck up someones wedding.

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Nah I speak Spanish that is no problem. I can handle a mic it's just the music. Ima have to start asking paisa honeys around the way for the tunes.

I think the wedding is gonna have a mariachi too so they will come through but I am not gonna rely on it.

Either way I got other jams (80s, Disco, Freestyle, Funk and Spanish 45's that are good for boogie). I just wanted those Spanish songs that are played over and over that never get old to dance too. I will do some research around the hood.

Thanks everyone.