Dick Hyman

williedynamitewilliedynamite 263 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
http://cgi.ebay.com/RICHARD-HAYMAN-Genui...bayphotohostingDamn. The drums on "Windmills of Your Mind" are wig splitting... Makes me itch for Moon Gas...What are some of his other essentials?

Comments

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Dick Hymen

Ayo!

• Dude must also have some serious balls keeping that name...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    http://cgi.ebay.com/RICHARD-HAYMAN-Genui...bayphotohosting

Damn. The drums on "Windmills of Your Mind" are wig splitting...

There's no sound file on that auction.

• I'll work on getting a sound file up...

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    despite what seems to be a ton of circumstantial evidence, ive had it insisted to me by many that richard hayman is NOT dick hyman - evn though the names are similar and both were on abc/command/probe, and the catalog # of that latin love machine is one after hymans 'electronicus'...

anyway on command, for starters you want 'the age of electronicus' and 'moog'. 'moog' is cheap n easy to find, electronicus seems to go for 20-30 usually.

also on command are the excellent 'man from O.R.G.A.N.", "mirrors" and "sweet sweet soul".

the hyman holy grail is "Moon Gas" on MGM, with the spooky vox of Mary Mayo. wont be cheap unless you are very lucky. also his hardest to find by a long shot.

some of these are visible in this picture:

man from O.R.G.A.N. is in this one:

• pookeyblowpookeyblow 406 Posts
    FLUTE LOOP!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Maybe not essential because he only did the arrangements still but ooooh I haven't used that for ages. I must be getting old and soft

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    despite what seems to be a ton of circumstantial evidence, ive had it insisted to me by many that richard hayman is NOT dick hyman

I've always wondered about this too.

• Thanks for the tip. Glad somebody finally broke the "hayman/hyman/hymen" thing.

Got "Copperplated Integrated Circuit". the synthesizer used for that album looks like it was built to reroute phone calls.

Really wondering about "Moon Gas". Wouldn't mind hearing a clip if there's one out there.

Anyway here's Windmills...

Link: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=DBB8768F305B0486

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I don't think copperplated circuit is a Hyman lp.

Moongas is incredible. Not funky or anything, but really unique and amazing. Definitely worth spending some loot on, IMO.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Glad somebody finally broke the "hayman/hyman/hymen" thing.

AAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I think Mary Mayo was from rural NC... local connection... perhaps how I find my cheap copy after funk dealer caught all the Eastbound Groove Merch etc out of the same boxes (and called TSL guy to price them on the spot)

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    called TSL guy to price them on the spot

"how much will you give me for this Donald Austin on Eastbound? OK. How about Jimmy McGriff 'Stump Juice'? OK..."

I like 'Moon Gas' alot - it's basically a bossa-nova album - there is some funkyish instro stuff on there actually.

---

• joaobossajoaobossa 128 Posts
    Dick Hyman has a bad ass cover of James Brown's "Sex Machine"....very weird gear.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Dick Hyman has a bad ass cover of James Brown's "Sex Machine"....very weird gear.

I thought the only James Brown cover Dick Hyman did was "Give it up, or turn it loose?"

• joaobossajoaobossa 128 Posts

I thought the only James Brown cover Dick Hyman did was "Give it up, or turn it loose?"

my bad...you're absolutely correct...too much collie.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

my bad...you're absolutely correct...too much collie.

Jyeah, and that is, of course, off of...

I'm not too big on Moog, but this record has just the right amount of bugged out for me to get into.

and can we get a "jyeah" graemlin?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    that deserves a like

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Thanks for the tip. Glad somebody finally broke the "hayman/hyman/hymen" thing.

Got "Copperplated Integrated Circuit". the synthesizer used for that album looks like it was built to reroute phone calls.

Really wondering about "Moon Gas". Wouldn't mind hearing a clip if there's one out there.

Anyway here's Windmills...

Link: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=DBB8768F305B0486
    Can someone re-up plaese!?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I like Mirrors - unusual because it's a a trio but Hyman plays both organ and the piano and dubs one over the other so that he's basically playing against himself. Respect is a great track which builds and builds into a real kicker. Recommended.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Windmills also appears on a Peter Nero record, for some reason, called "from hair to hollywood", or something like that.