Psych-Rock-Funk (semi-raers)

OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
edited April 2005 in Music Talk
S.S. Massive-I'm looking for some help picking up some psych-rock-funk records. Somewhere between the lines of the Diminishing Returns type Uber-Raers and the more obvious Strawberry Alarm Clock & Southwest FOB type stuff. I don't really know much about the genre but I really dig the sound, so I'm trying to add some to the collection.any help would be appreciated,-B-

Comments

• Womb-s/t
    Good bluesy psych rock with nicely recorded drums and a flute track that kicks ass. This record is all over the map, but when it hits its good.
    Lightning-s/t
    Kind of a one tracker imo, but "They've got the Time" is freaking ridiculous.

You might like Krautrock too. I'm in basically the same position as you, I like most things I hear from this genre, but I don't know too much yet.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    I've got some Southwest FOB 45's (probably the one you are looking for). Give me a shout

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    thanks Rod T. I'll keep an eye open for those...

I've got some Southwest FOB 45's (probably the one you are looking for). Give me a shout

nrich, I've already got it thanks though.

I mentioned Southwest to say that I had some of the more obvious ones and was looking for the semi-rare, the ones I could pick up without going too broke for, you know the not quite Shadow level raer ish...

-B-

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    'US 69' by Yesterday's Folks is a classic. The whole album is great, some real tripped out shit and some great funky rock too.

Also look for The Blues Project 'Projections'.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    don't know about the 'funk' part - this stuff is just badass rock music to me

silver apples
    united states of america (and its followup, joe byrd and the field hippies)
    mandrake memorial
    moonrakers

all consistent lps that are cheap for the genre...

assuming you already know about the music machine, seeds, red krayola, etc

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    if you are patient on waiting forever for the mail...the best tropicalia jernts can be had for about 30bucks a piece...semi-raer I suppose

Gal Costa s/t 1969 there are two of them

Caetano Veloso s/t from 68 and 69

Os mutantes s/t from 1969...prolly the best psych record for the $$$ IMO.

Gilberto Gil s/t from 1969

non brazilian

Untied States of America s/t...you can nab this for $10

Candy OST..another cheapie with some bangin psych heat

Neu! s/t

so many more...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    if you are patient on waiting forever for the mail...the best tropicalia jernts can be had for about 30bucks a piece...semi-raer I suppose

Gal Costa s/t 1969 there are two of them

Caetano Veloso s/t from 68 and 69

Os mutantes s/t from 1969...prolly the best psych record for the $$$ IMO.

Gilberto Gil s/t from 1969

non brazilian

Untied States of America s/t...you can nab this for $10

$30 for some of these is pretty ambitious. Mutantes regularly over $75, 1st Caetano usually around $40-50, 1st Gal up to $75 now (partially because Brazilian dealers learned to add "Pokora" to their listing), 2nd Gal getting towards $50.

USA is a steal for $10 - this is getting $40-50 now too.

Not saying you can't cop deals, but the Mutantes especially... chances of getting an OG for $30 are pretty slim...

Oh, not including $10-15 shipping for one record from Brazil!!!

the Brazil stuff fluctuates A WHOLE LOT pricewise... a lot of factors weighing on those too, not the least of which being some dealers' inability to determine which pressing they have... but there was a time when they dropped down to like $30-50 for the best titles, and there was also a time when any good mutantes was $100+

prices are on the high side right now

the USA could be scored for $10 easy - if you grab the repress

I snagged a dollar copy WITH THE PAPER BAG a week ago

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "You, I," a single by the Rugbys on the Amazon label, is common as dirt. They had an album (reissued on Collectables), but it wasn't too hot. Lower your sights and shoot for the single. Oldies radio won't touch this one with a ten-foot pole (even though it was a hit in '69), but its' definitely up your alley.

more cheapie fo-fives:

barbarians
    music explosion
    baloon farm
    blues magoos
    bubble puppy

The first Black Pearl LP on Atlantic is relatively cheap when I see it (I define cheap as $8 - which is what I paid for it - or less).

Also, back on the 45 tip, try "No Help From Me" by the Lemon Pipers (B-side of "Green Tambourine," but NOT bubblegum).

FUGI!!!

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Some of the Shadows of Knight 45's fit this bill and are relatively affordable. I can't think of titles off the top of my head, but there are some nice tracks.

45 wise the Balloon Farm "A question of temperature" is really good

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Some of the Shadows of Knight 45's fit this bill and are relatively affordable. I can't think of titles off the top of my head, but there are some nice tracks.

Shake is a nice freakbeat jam and pretty affordable.

Another affordable and underrated band is Ultimate Spinach out of Boston.

Mandrake Memorial is good stuff too. I have a 45 of Music Man that's a real killer.

The real hard stuff to find like Hunger and July are dope enough to warrant buying the reissues.

DJ Ferrari

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    ya know, I just picked up that Mind Garage LP on RCA over the weekend and side 2 (minus that Sunday Xian song) would lead you to believe that it's a hot record. Then make it over to side one to find some straight annoying bullshit. But worth a couple bucks for the good side IMO. And that one track with the break, which I first heard on AEIOU2, is way nice.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

Shake is a nice freakbeat jam and pretty affordable.

it's the track "from way out to way under" that I was thinking of. It's the flip to Shake on some releases, I've got another 45 of theirs that has a different tune that doesn't do it for me.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Get the Gospel Zone 45. Great tune.

I had the Electric Prunes 'Had too Much to dream" LP on last night.
    Forgot how good that tune is.

The first self-titled album by H.P. Lovecraft is a keeper (on Philips). The Rotary Connection's albums also turn up, too, although both bands may be more common in Chicago than anywhere else.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    yep, theres plenty of good reissues you can pick up for 10-20 bucks that are hot fiyal.

Common People on Capitol
    Alan Bown on Island
    Neon on Paramount
    Sly Boots on Faithful Virtue

git diggin'

yep, theres plenty of good reissues you can pick up for 10-20 bucks that are hot fiyal.

Common People on Capitol
    Alan Bown on Island
    Neon on Paramount
    Sly Boots on Faithful Virtue

I bought a CD reissue of Mint Tattoo's album, two or three months ago - highly recommended.

someone tell me about the KAK LP, I have always been curious about that one, only see sealed re-ishes, so I have never been able to check it out...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Mandrake Memorial - Puzzle
    Millenium - Begin
    Street - S/T
    Kim Fowley
    St. John Green
    Flashes S/T
    Fantasy S/T

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    Haven't heard these, so don't hold me to 'em:

-- Bandolero: Love Is All LP (7?), hard, funky Mexican rock
    -- Bayete Umbra Zindiko: Seeking Other Beauty LP (Presige), great funky psych-out
    -- Black Spirit: Black Velvet LP (Krios, 7?), hot funk-psych groovers
    -- Butterfingers: s/t LP (Pot, 70; Ger: Little Indian re, 98; Ger: Shadoks re), crazed stoner garage funk fuzz
    -- Cosa Nostra: s/t LP (Mex: Raff, 71), seedy funky wha-wha rockers w/ "out-there" vocalist; Adopta un Arbol LP (Mex: Raff, 73), cool funk psych rockers

I bought a CD reissue of Mint Tattoo's album, two or three months ago - highly recommended.

Dang

There used to always be an original of this around town for $12ish, but since they always sat around forever I figured it couldn't be that hot... other than the sleeve of course

Randy Holden involvement? Or somebody else who was in Blue Cheer?

in a KAK related note...anyone know how much the Oxford Cirlce 45 "Mind Destruction" goes for, raer? I have been wantin that...

• someone tell me about the KAK LP, I have always been curious about that one, only see sealed re-ishes, so I have never been able to check it out...

Cool LP. Hippie folk/psyche, some upbeat tracks but not at all heavy. The keeper is 'Lemonade Kid', uber trippy. I've been trying to track down the "fast" version of "Rain' that's been comped a few times. The version on the LP is slower. 45 mix???

Dang

There used to always be an original of this around town for $12ish, but since they always sat around forever I figured it couldn't be that hot... other than the sleeve of course

Randy Holden involvement? Or somebody else who was in Blue Cheer?

Bruce Stephens and Ralph Burns Kellogg joined Blue Cheer later on.

There was also a band called Silver Metre (featuring Blue Cheer's Leigh Stephens). One good album from 1970, although it's more just plain hard rock than out-and-out psych.

• I have a cool LP at home by a group called the Travel Agency. Very similar to other late 60's West Coast sounds mentioned here.

Also check out J.K. & Co. on White Whale. Very trippy.